My Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

freaknasty

In referance to all posts with hunters sitting on their success.

I'm going to say some thing here YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE
But congrats to you on this, your friends first buck
but the picture of him (SITTING ON THE BUCK IS NOT RESPECTFUL AT ALL) we as sportsmen should not LORD over the Quarry we pursue but be respectful of the majestic animals they are and the pursuit that we endure to have them in all there glory. I really don't like this and have told very close friends that have sent me a pic with their hunters or friends and family posed in this manner and told them that is not right and very disrespectful to the animal, what ever it may be. Or how much you spent.
(MY OPINION ONLY)

Hunt Hard
Live Free
RIP

It makes for a terrible photo, but how is it disrespectful? You just killed it and then talk about respect. If you want to respect them so much, i’m sure the animal would appreciate it if you didn’t shoot them.

Last edited:
I don't "respect" animals. I kill them. Jerk their guts out, and eat them. If you are doing the same then you don't respect them either. I shot a coyote pup once right in front of the 8itch that bore it and then blew her brains out on top of it. We are humans and we reign over these beasts.

Maybe you prefer the composition of a photo to differ from some you have seen. But don't dress up your opinion as respect.

One of the greatest photos I have ever seen was a picture of a man sitting on the belly of a cow elephant and lighting a cigarette with an entire herd of dead elephants around him. It was an amazing event, in amazing place, executed by an amazing man, that few will be able to comprehend and most can't even believe it ever happened without the photo documentation.

Last edited:
on my first Barb hunt. I shot a ewe I paid my respects to her and as I was breaking her down I noticed she was pregnant. did not sit on her and LORD over my kill, In all the hard efforts to get her.
do you get it!! I didn't feel the need to sit on her and take pics.
Look I'm not trying to start a argument, here I've seen a lot of posts on here that have done the same thing over the years.
But it just finally came to a head on this one. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Am I wrong ???????
its JUST MY OPINION
so deal with it or don't

I'm just planting a seed for the next time you have the opportunity to take that lasting moment that lives forever.
???????????

I don’t like the sitting on pose either. But I’m not so stuck up that I give two dams if other people want to do that with THEIR animal, bought and paid for. Once they pull the trigger, that animal becomes THEIR physical property. They can “lord” over it if they want.

You really ought to toughen up a little. If you don’t like it, move on. You’re trying to church up and remove the violence from killing something by proclaiming ever lasting respect while you type with a British accent.

Don’t get a nose bleed up on that high horse.

Todd

Expressing an opinion on hunting ethics isn't necessarily a "high horse" moment in my opinion, especially when it is in relation to public perception of a sport we all love. For example, there's a specific post above that I believe is evidence that sometimes we can be our own worst enemy. If that attitude were more prevalent, how many non-hunters would we be turning into anti-hunters?

Hunting being dependent on self-policed ethics is one of the most basic tenets taught to new hunters in Hunters Safety and discussing individual ethics is a healthy part of the sport as well as a hunting forum.

Give always found it curious. We try to pretend like those that would view sitting photos as bad, would feel better otherwise? Kinda seems those folks aint wild about us killing things, PERIOD.

Im a lot more concerned seeing/reading about animals being reduced to a number(400 elk, 200 deer).But even at that I dont stress too much.

Couple years ago I hung an elk from a scaffold on my 3rd driveway to butcher it. Im sure some of my neighbors didnt approve. But, too bad. I dont approve of ConAgra butchering.

Somebody that ignorant about hunting isn’t going to know the difference between sitting on said dead animal or sitting next to it. The only people it effects are snobs.

How is it unethical? They aren’t poaching or even coming close to breaking any law. It’s not even an un-written rule. It’s their animal. Not yours. I agree the pose sucks, but not because of “disrespect” to the animal. I just shot it in the lungs with a projectile moving 2700 FPS. Causing massive hemorrhaging and cutting off blood and oxygen circulation to the brain. That’s really respectful when you think about it.

A real steward wouldn’t even need to take pictures. Posing next to the dead animal is disrespectful...

You guys can hide in a closet with your feelings tucked between your legs all you want. I’m going to keep hunting and worrying about my pictures of my animals that will effect my memories. It’s really refreshing to mind your own business or just ignore things you may not agree with. Especially when it comes to something so stupid as whether a hunter wants to sit on their own dead animal or not.

Todd

It's often fascinating to me how different people can have vastly different viewpoints. I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, they're just different.

I did a quick Google search to see what I could find and came across an article on Mossbergs website that has this to say about trophy photos,

"Do not sit on, stand on, straddle or otherwise appear to ride an animal. I’m not sure if I really need to explain this one. That said, I still see it on social media. I believe we can all agree it shows a serious disrespect to the animal." -https/www.mossberg.com/tips-for-taking-hunting-photos/

It's so obvious to this writer that they say it doesn't even need explanation, yet others are so convinced it's okay they attack as "snobs" other hunters merely for having a different view.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I guess we can just chalk it up to that. No judgement, it's just interesting to see how everybody thinks and try and understand it.

EDIT...

I do have a question for those of the mindset that because we killed an animal that we've already disrespected it... Is there anything, in your view, one shouldn't do after you've killed an animal because it would be disrespectful? Or is the idea of respecting our kill/harvest an unnecessary concern as we've already done the most disrespectful thing by killing it?

Last edited:
My opinion is we have a lot to worry about. Unfortunately public perspective is huge. Do I think this is disrespectful? No I do not, does it matter what the non hunting community thinks? Yes very much so, they vote and control that part of our lives just as much as fellow hunters. I also think it’s silly to get into a pissing contest online about this. People will do what they want the opinion of the og poster will likely affect very few. But in MY OPINION it’s silly for us to fight with each other, and that seems to be the internet with this post.

I can see the OP point. But we as hunters have bought in too much IMO.

We arent public enough. Grizzly is a well spoken, thoughtful man. Folks seeing him with antlers in his truck, or a gun rack, is a good thing. Its good for non hunters to see the combination of good dude and hunter.

I personally dont put hunting, or kill pics on the WWW. Mostly because I hunt with my boys and dont want their pics out, but also because im a realist. The majority of my customers arent hunters. ID rather I get a chance to discuss hunting, before they saw me with a dead critter. I feel my passion and reverence are better portrayed by me words, than an IG pic

It's often fascinating to me how different people can have vastly different viewpoints. I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, they're just different.

I did a quick Google search to see what I could find and came across an article on Mossbergs website that has this to say about trophy photos,

"Do not sit on, stand on, straddle or otherwise appear to ride an animal. I’m not sure if I really need to explain this one. That said, I still see it on social media. I believe we can all agree it shows a serious disrespect to the animal." -https/www.mossberg.com/tips-for-taking-hunting-photos/

It's so obvious to this writer that they say it doesn't even need explanation, yet others are so convinced it's okay they attack as "snobs" other hunters merely for having a different view.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I guess we can just chalk it up to that. No judgement, it's just interesting to see how everybody thinks and try and understand it.

EDIT...

I do have a question for those of the mindset that because we killed an animal that we've already disrespected it... Is there anything, in your view, one shouldn't do after you've killed an animal because it would be disrespectful? Or is the idea of respecting our kill/harvest an unnecessary concern as we've already done the most disrespectful thing by killing it?
Grizzly,

I mostly agree with you... but only about my own critters & hunts. But, I’m the first to admit I do it to try to remove the violence that has just occurred to hide it from people who can’t handle the truth. Not because I feel it disrespects the animal. In most cases WE “church” up the kill scene before the photo. Whether or not a picture was taken of it doesn’t take away the truth that it was nasty.

I look at the whole of it. The animal is part of nature. Not using the animal to it’s fullest disrespects nature. I have my views about nature coming from God and anything given to me or that I’ve earned in nature is a divine gift and I try really hard to not take that for granted. Every beer can that gets tossed out the window that I pick up was a disrespect to the animal I’m hunting, and in turn nature.

But all of those are my views, beliefs and ethics. I killed a monster, old boar bear in S.E. Utah. It’s fully legal for me to leave the meat rotting in the field but my personal ethics And views toward nature wouldn’t allow me to do that. Instead, the meat came out with the rest of it. But I don’t judge if others want to leave their bear meat under the protections the laws afford but I wish they wouldn’t.

As touched on earlier, my views on the “sitting on dead animal” pose comes from my Grumps and others like him. That’s just what they did back in the day. My Grumps is the salt of the earth and I don’t like snooty men dumbing down my Grandpas memories and pictures just because it doesn’t meet their standards. I guarantee you my Grumps wouldn’t get on the World Wide Web and trash fellow hunters just based on how they take a picture of their dead animal even though it might not be how he does it. So who’s the better man? The guy tearing others down because of a pic, or the guy that picks his battles and minds his own business until something worth while needs fought about?

Todd

Last edited:
Good posts, @hossblur and @1989Cohunter.

@just_a_hunter, I was pretty much with you until the "So who's the better man?" line. To me it's not about who is better.

That's what I meant when I wrote, "I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, they're just different. No judgement, it's just interesting to see how everybody thinks and try and understand it."

Good posts, @hossblur and @1989Cohunter.

@just_a_hunter, I was pretty much with you until the "So who's the better man?" line. To me it's not about who is better.

That's what I meant when I wrote, "I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, they're just different. No judgement, it's just interesting to see how everybody thinks and try and understand it."
I know and fully believe you and what you wrote. The “who’s the better man” line was aimed way more toward the OP. The way he comes across in his original post is very high horseish in my opinion, and he obviously needs validated or he wouldn’t have posted. I never felt that way about anything you have written here but Ive done a terrible job at showing that. Sorry about that as I really respect the way you’ve handled your end of the conversation.

Todd

I know and fully believe you and what you wrote. The “who’s the better man” line was aimed way more toward the OP. The way he comes across in his original post is very high horseish in my opinion, and he obviously needs validated or he wouldn’t have posted. I never felt that way about anything you have written here but Ive done a terrible job at showing that. Sorry about that as I really respect the way you’ve handled your end of the conversation.

Todd
?? I'm always up for a good thoughtful discussion. Let's do it again!

I much prefer a sitting photo on a hunting site to a head tied on for a hood ornament for your triumphant return home. (n)

I’m not a big fan of sitting on the animal either. But I had never really thought much about it until I began this site and went from sharing photos with just a couple relatives to sharing them with the world.
BTW - I think we can harvest animals and give them respect.

Back in the 70’s
FF1D7C0F-F416-48F6-B008-6FBB892D55BB.jpeg

So you gave into some wamby pamby internet post by some stranger you never met because you are scared he or she will think less of you as a person for what kind of photo you take.

Now that they know you are a wimp and can't stand up for yourself they take it a step further. No photos with a weapon in them. That represents violence. Then it's no pictures with kids and dead animals because it looks like they are being brainwashed. Then it's no taxidermy. Oh yeah sticking a preserved dead animal in your house is the ultimate form of disrespect.

Pretty soon you are sneaking your deer into your garage in the middle of the night hoping not to offend people and when someone sees it they report you as a criminal to the police because they don't think hunters even exist anymore.

How about you go hunt and have fun legally the way you want. And he goes and hunts legally the way he hunts. And when yall meet yall speak the truth to each other and speak the truth to those who don't hunt. It will all work out just fine. Yep sometimes people will get offended. That's life. One thing you learn about those people is they are looking to get offended.

Torturing animals, which you described in your post*, is a symptom of psychotic behavior. I bet you have some creepy taxi creations somewhere in your world.

*I will go ahead and argue for you that yotes aren't self aware, so your attempt to "hold dominion" over that baby coyote by blowing its mothers brains in front of it was really just for your entertainment.

You will never share a camp with me amigo.

Hey Suzy, I never said I tortured anything. Learn how to read. Two quick bullets through the heads of two yotes ain't torture. Brutal reality, yes. Torture, no.

I've seen a lot of non value added threads on this site over the years, but this one may take the cake. Policing how hunting pictures should be shared really encourages us all to share our pictures and experience here. I know I'll never share pics here because of this very reason. No I dont sit on the animal I kill, but I'm sure there would be something else that might "offend" someone just like there always is. This opinion would have been better served sharing with your grandmother, not shared on a hunting site.

On the flip side Tri you may have just won stupidest post of the year....dumb

Last edited:
Hey Suzy, I never said I tortured anything. Learn how to read. Two quick bullets through the heads of two yotes ain't torture. Brutal reality, yes. Torture, no.
Hey Jason, learn to read. I repeated your torture back for you.

Go ahead and post up your pics of your mount of yotes with treble hooks in their mouths like a stringer of crappies.

A hunk of meat on a hook hanging 4' off the ground. Thats how you do it in your world right?

Every knows you are supposed to sit twenty feet behind the buck for the best picture. ??? But really what the hell difference does it make how a person wants to take a picture with their animal. I mean are we disrespecting a horse by sitting on his back. Haven’t you heard of a guy on a Buffalo?

F9A47B97-B531-4329-ACA6-47BBDE593B39.jpeg

I HATE the word HARVEST. To me that is tge most disrespectful thing you can say about an animal. Equating it to the level of a carrot or tomato.

Trying to PC the words looks like we are trying to be deceptive.

We kill things. We cut it up. We eat it

Here’s the reality, if you don’t want people’s opinions then don’t post your photos on the internet. I don’t know one single person on this website. And I only know one on rokslide. I’ve been posting and following these sites for 7/8 years now, but why would I show strangers such intimate parts of my life only to be judged. I posted a picture of a buck on this site 8 years ago or so, and regretted it five minutes later. If you want to respect the animal then ask the animal what their preferred photo pose is before you put a chunk of lead or arrow through their body only to hope they die quickly. I sat on a buck one time when I was younger, and had no clue it was disrespectful and had no intentions to disrespect it. I’m very sorry

In a more serious vein, what I see as worse than sitting on a dead animal is taking a photo with the critter's tongue hanging out or having all sorts of blood visible, especially running out of the mouth and/or nostrils. And lastly, simply reducing the worth of an animal to how many inches a tape measure reads is the ultimate disrepect.

jungle_man.gif

The opinions of one person on particular in this thread (who has previously referred to himself as a "rolling slaughterhouse on wheels") are so hugely different than the way I was raised.

Others have put to word my beliefs better than I ever can, so I'll quote them...

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." - Jose' Ortega y Gasset

4476a83a774e3a3e6d9dc4d66e772c9d.jpg

06d6a0f60dd34400efcd77583518ed6e.jpg

In a more serious vein, what I see as worse than sitting on a dead animal is taking a photo with the critter's tongue hanging out or having all sorts of blood visible, especially running out of the mouth and/or nostrils. And lastly, simply reducing the worth of an animal to how many inches a tape measure reads is the ultimate disrepect.

View attachment 15114
I dont like the tongue out myself and I'm guilty of it this year. not very happy about it! Chewed my lil bro out for not telling me it was dangling.

I’m not a big fan of sitting on the animal either. But I had never really thought much about it until I began this site and went from sharing photos with just a couple relatives to sharing them with the world.
BTW - I think we can harvest animals and give them respect.

Back in the 70’s
View attachment 15103
Kids excluded.

No body sat on a shot mountain lion here in California for it to get banned from hunting , just like no dogs to pursue bears it takes stupid uneducated people to ban hunting not a picture , I could care less if the guy wants to sit on his kill , get over it !

No kidding, get off your high horse. We are in the heart of hunting season, and the topic of conversation is someone giving us a lecture on what they think about people sitting on a critter for a picture? Give me a break, get over yourself.

"Hey Jason, learn to read. I repeated your torture back for you."

Not hardly boy.
Two things.

To be insulted by you is actually a compliment.

And do you call everyone with enough hair on their azz to weave 2 Navajo rugs "boy"? :LOL:

Nope. Just the kids.

Also Grizzly, its easier just to say Tri-State is the rolling slaughterhouse on wheels. I won't be offended. I didn't state that on these forums to be ashamed of it. You live in a mythical world where all deer should be gently sung to a deep sleep and then euthanized by perfectly trained softies like yourself who will make sure their last thought is how much respect they were feeling in their last moments of life.

In reality the rest of us live in a real world where we slaughter stuff.

Last edited:
Every knows you are supposed to sit twenty feet behind the buck for the best picture. ??? But really what the hell difference does it make how a person wants to take a picture with their animal. I mean are we disrespecting a horse by sitting on his back. Haven’t you heard of a guy on a Buffalo?

View attachment 15105
if i ever got one those I would be sitting on it also !

WAFJ THIS TREAD IS!!!!
Who cares ?
It is what it is get over it a picture of the picture kids and other people do things differently if you don’t like it who cares if you like it who cares what difference does it really make in the grand scheme of things?

You Are in BIG Trouble BIGJOHN!

View attachment 15105

T
The opinions of one person on particular in this thread (who has previously referred to himself as a "rolling slaughterhouse on wheels") are so hugely different than the way I was raised.

Others have put to word my beliefs better than I ever can, so I'll quote them...

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." - Jose' Ortega y Gasset

View attachment 15117

View attachment 15118
Thank you for that
sincerely Thank you

Meh. A whole lot of people would say vaporizing vital organs with a projectile going 2500 feet per second is disrespectful, inhumane, and unnecessary. A pig is a dog is a boy.

Oh ??? I’ll have a talk with my wife and tell her she’s disrespectful to the elk she killed because some guy on the Internet says so. Technically she was pretend humping it so maybe she’ll get a pass?!

I've personally never mounted an animal for a photoshoot but I'm also not offended if somebody else chooses to do so. As a society, we spend way too much time judging and worrrying about what others are doing. There is obviously a line that should not be crossed where you give sportsmen a bad name but I am not bothered if I see a photo with some blood or a dangling tongue. I have deep respect for the animals that we hunt and kill but I also choose to let others make their own decisions regarding ethics.

Hawkeye

Last edited:
I thought nothing of it before and it doesn't bother me one bit.

But now that sitting on it is "Lording over it"........I should probably repent..........REALLY? WOW

Wait, is it disrespectful when i ride horses and use the horses/mules to pack out the harvest?

This thread here is why many quit posting pictures cause someone just has to NAG on something

Last edited:
My daughters have debates like this. Its cool, its something men don't understand. Let them bicker....

You want to see something funny, go visit bowsite.com to witness petty bickering about nothing.

Bowhunters are the worse when it comes to feelings getting hurt...

You want to see something funny, go visit bowsite.com to witness petty bickering about nothing.

Bowhunters are the worse when it comes to feelings getting hurt...

I remember there Political Forum and then they shut it down , I never commented on that forum just liked the MM one.

WoW what a $hit show. You all play nice on the playground after school.

on my first Barb hunt. I shot a ewe I paid my respects to her and as I was breaking her down I noticed she was pregnant. did not sit on her and LORD over my kill, In all the hard efforts to get her.
Look I'm not trying to start a argument, here I've seen a lot of posts on here that have done the same thing over the years.
But it just finally came to a head on this one. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Am I wrong ???????
its JUST MY OPINION
so deal with it or don't

I'm just planting a seed for the next time you have the opportunity to take that lasting moment that lives forever.
???????????
I love how you say "Look I'm not trying to start a argument" uhhh I'm pretty sure that is exactly what you wanted to do.

What about a picture of the deer sitting on me??????
20161028_134743.jpg

I’m more offended that @freaknasty poached the deer in his avatar from the best years of his life. #ripbambi. At least he wiped the milk off his lips before he took a pic...

It's kind of disrespectful to taxidermy an animal. Why would you kill it and then try to bring it back to life? You could save a lot of money just by letting it live in the first place.

All this is so confusing.

Am I wrong ???????
its JUST MY OPINION
so deal with it or don't

???????????
I think it’s time for you to throw on the joggers and puma shoes, grab a pound of granola, jump in the ole’ Subaru, drive up in the mountains during hunting season and start banging on pots and pans to prevent the disrespect to wild animals. This would be more effective for your cause than to sit in the lions den of hunters and get chewed to pieces.

You and @Tristate must be brothers...

Does this photo, that was posted on a hunting board after a group of guys from that board went on a late season cow elk hunt near Jackson, WY, seem appropriate to you?

Just lording over their property?

Russ_two_elk.jpg

Cant wait to hear Tristate defend this photo...

Just curious if there is any line that the "mind your own business", "lord over the animal", slaughter house on wheels" crowd thinks goes a little too far...
That way probably the last time old elkcheese got any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom