My Unit 125 Buck

MuskegMan

Well, I shot my first mule deer. Probably not up to Monster Muley standards, but I was happy with it.

So a little background. Why did I choose 125 in the first place? Well I was one under max points and I was always going to be one under. Figured I'd never draw 102. Logistics looked easy, 90-95% BLM land and rut hunt dates. Huntin' Fool said it was a pretty good unit too. So I burned 4 NR points and ponied up for the special license - yes that $650 clams. This is only my second DIY mule deer hunt. I have mostly hunted Sitka Blacktails in Alaska for the past 30+ years, so a mule deer was on my bucket list.

So I started looking for info on the unit on this site and from HF members who had hunted it in the past. Just about everyone said focus on Gooseberry Creek. That's were most of the deer will be. Turned out to be solid advice.

I decided to come down for the last part of the hunt dates. Everyone said that things really pick up as the rut kicks into gear. This was also spot-on.

Being the find-out-the-hard-way kinda guy. I spent the first two days on the east end of the hunt near Meteetse in the higher part of the unit. Wasn't seeing anything. Ran into a fellow MM'er who remembered a guy from Alaska was coming down for the hunt. He had just killed a hybrid up in the higher part of the unit. The deer still had a little raggedly velvet on the horns.

So I started looking down along Gooseberry and sure enuff I was seeing quite a few deer and some smaller bucks. It's hard to get on the south side of the creek, but there were a few state owned sections on the river bottom. Not many folks were keying in on these areas. The GPS with the WYO chip was an absolute must-have. Met up with some fellow HF members who had be hunting the "walk in" areas. A couple of landowners had mentioned this too and I didn't know what they were talking about. Finally, I picked up the Statewide Walk-in Area supplement (published by WYO F&G) at the sporting goods store. This was the key to my, and several others, sucess.

With this info and my GPS I was able to get on the south side of Gooseberry in the hills and glass down on the river bottom and have direct access to the river bottom in several locations.

Things really picked up on my last three days on the units. Bucks were getting feisty and were herding up does. Never say any knock down drag out buck fights, but watched a lot of posturing and dosidos. Locals said there we the local light, horned bucks who rubbed out on the sage brush, and the dark horn mountain bucks who migrate in from higher ground outside the unit - e.g. the Tetons and Bighorns. I saw one of these bucks on the last day, buck never got a real good looks at him.

Anyway, with 15 minutes of light left on the last day I was going to hunt (14th) I was able to connect with this buck. A hair over 22" wide. a 5x4 if you count eyeguards.

Lars-Deer-Field-2-R.jpg

Lars-Deer-Field-1-R.jpg

Lars-w-Rack-R.jpg

Again, thanks to all the MM'ers to offered advice and to a great mule deer hunting site. Just trying to add my experience and information for others to use.

A new area and you pulled a good buck out, That pretty dang good. Looks like you had a fun trip too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Muskeg-congrats on a good, hard-earned buck. Years down the road, the work you put in will be imbedded on that buck every time you and your close ones look at it. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that though.

Did you get up into the northern/central part of the unit in some of that big sage country?

This is a pic of the "hybrid" buck taken on the same Walk-in area I got mine in. I met this guy and his pard in the field and saw this buck in person. It's 23.5" wide. His buddy ate tag soup.

Marks-Hybred-Buck-R.jpg

Just from the one picture you've posted it looks like a straight mulie that didn't develop forks like they normally do and it makes it look like a whitetail rack. I have a buck like that I shot back in 1999 up in the BigHorns where there are no whitetails to cross with and a nontypical whitetail rack I shot down in south Texas where there are no mulies and it is forked like a mulie. If I didn't tell you which was which I can guarantee you would get them wrong as to what species they were by just looking at the rack. What other, if any, characteristics did that buck have to make you think it's a hybrid?

This Alaska boy certainly ain't no Muley or Whitey expert. I met the guy who shot it and he showed it to a few locals who made the same hybrid comment. I personally saw another buck on the unit that had a main beam with four points coming off it like a whitetail. The main beam was much more forward oriented and not like the one pictured which generally heads straight up like a "normal" muley.

I met a couple of fellows in Worland who said they were hunting whitetail in the area. This would be on the West side of the Bighorns. You sayin' there are no Whiteys between the Big Horns and Tetons? I didn't see any whitetails, but I was only on the unit for 9 days.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-11 AT 06:27PM (MST)[p]No, I'm not saying any such thing! I've hunted unit 125 before and hunt from Worland on east to the Bighorns most every year and have since 1997. There are plenty of whitetails, mostly in the low areas of the basin and especially along the river drainages, and there is no doubt that a whitetail can and will cross with a mulie! Normally it happens when a whitetail buck breeds a mulie doe because normally a mulie buck will not chase a whitetail doe all over like whitetails normally do when they are breeding. All I'm saying is that if it was a direct decendent of a whitetail breeding a mulie that normally you will see more than one characteristic in the offspring than just the rack. That's why I asked if you saw anything else, other than the rack, that looked like a whitetail (ears, tail, color, etc.). Attached is a lousy picture of a big buck taken right at dusk that I know was a direct cross of the two because he had the head, including smaller ears, and whitetail body color, but his rack was a screwed up nontypical mulie type. This was taken down low along one of the river drainages east of Worland last year where I hunt. Both species are found along there in good numbers, but as you go higher up in elevation all you see is mulies. The other picture shows the 10 point nontypical whitetail rack on the left side that I took in south Texas where there are no mulies and, as you can see, it looks like it's a mulie. The 10 pointer to the right of the pronghorn is a typical whitetail buck taken off that same Texas ranch. That's why I stated that you can't just look at a rack and know what species it is!

63822010_trip_012.jpg

4188lm_013.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom