Mystery Ranch Metcalf Pack?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I am thinking about buying this pack and wondered if anyone has anything negative comments about this particular pack. I'll be buying new. Thanks!

I've had mine now for 3 seasons. Very happy with it. The meat shelf is a fantastic feature (although I'm sure other brands have this now). The side zip is handy as it makes it easy to reach in and grab items without messing with the top of the pack.

As far as capacity, I've carried close to 100lbs in it and as long as you cinch all the straps down tight, nothing will sway or wiggle. You can strap your bow to the back or your rifle to the side. There are two holes in the upper portion of the pack for you to run a water bladder hose

The belt feels great but I highly suggest you visit a store and get sized for it properly. There's a minor adjustment to the frame height that must be done before you're ready to go.

Sorry, I'm rambling. You asked for anything negative about the pack. The only thing I can think of is I wish it had more pockets on the main body and maybe smaller pouches on the belt itself. Perhaps even molle webbing on the belt or loops that can support a sidearm holster.

I bought one in August of last year, and have hunted 150+ days with it. I’ve packed a few elk, a few deer, and a couple desert sheep with it. I’ve been happy with it overall, but I’d agree that more pockets would be nice. There’s really just 2 pockets in the lid, and one main compartment.

Don’t have the metcalf, but I own a Marshall, and a pintler. Packed out 3 elk on the Marshall. Everything has held up great! Buckles and zippers have had zero issues with lots and lots of use. Super solid packs and if you can buy one on a sale that value can’t be beat.

I bought one at the hunt expo a few years ago. I got the rifle sling as an added extra. The rifle sling was a poorly designed POS. A real disappointment. Setting the pack up for my body was kind of a chore. I made the mistake of loaning it out to a smaller guy to pack out a mountain goat. He readjusted the pack for his body. I could never get the pack to fit my body again. I sold the pack and the sling set up to someone else. I don’t miss it. The service at Mystery Ranch was a joke. On the positive side, I do have a shoulder fishing pack from MR that works nice. I went back to the Eberlestock Just One. it is heavier but the scabbard between the shoulders is perfect for me. The price difference was considerable. Just sayin...mh

Bought the Metcalf from BlackOvis a couple months back when it was on sale. Haven't got it bloody yet, just a few day hikes, but love MR for the sturdiness and quality. I also bought the zoid back thing, which is helpful, but you can also just buy some zippered mesh bags off amazon if you need more organization (i.e. kill kit, emergency kit, etc.)

Bought the Metcalf from BlackOvis a couple months back when it was on sale. Haven't got it bloody yet, just a few day hikes, but love MR for the sturdiness and quality. I also bought the zoid back thing, which is helpful, but you can also just buy some zippered mesh bags off amazon if you need more organization (i.e. kill kit, emergency kit, etc.)
When I purchase, I believe GoHunt has a good promo code to get 10% off. I have already purchased pouches for kill kit, first aid, tag/license, etc. Thanks for the input. I am hoping to draw my first general WY elk tag this year and bloody mine up first time out. Bought some elk game bags off Camofire for $25...I was shocked. Decent quality....maybe I'll get a couple uses out of them anyway.

I have the Metcalf pack. I like it but don't love it. I've hauled out a couple of elk and deer with it and it's gotten the job done. I have tried a lot of different packs and have yet to find the perfect pack. I do like my badlands diablo dos for day hikes other than the waist strap could be better.

I have the Metcalf pack. I like it but don't love it. I've hauled out a couple of elk and deer with it and it's gotten the job done. I have tried a lot of different packs and have yet to find the perfect pack. I do like my badlands diablo dos for day hikes other than the waist strap could be better.
What would you change about it hook?

I don’t need a new pack but enjoy hearing / reading about the new ones. I’ve also never had to call MR customer service so don’t know. I’ve had mine for 15 years.

I would be interested if anyone has tried the newer badlands MRT pack, they finally made a pack with a meat shelf, I just like badlands durability and customer service, but I haven’t been able to get my hands on one yet

When I purchase, I believe GoHunt has a good promo code to get 10% off. I have already purchased pouches for kill kit, first aid, tag/license, etc. Thanks for the input. I am hoping to draw my first general WY elk tag this year and bloody mine up first time out. Bought some elk game bags off Camofire for $25...I was shocked. Decent quality....maybe I'll get a couple uses out of them anyway.
I love Mystery Ranch! I’ve never had to contact customer service in all the years I’ve had them. I have the Metcalf and Marshall. Organization is sparse, but that’s why they are a lighter pack for there size verse some of the others… They have organization pouches you can buy that only add a few extra ounces depending on how many you use.
And not to dog on gohunt, I buy a bunch of stuff from them, and they have great prices! But check out Mountain Archery in Idaho, they are always having great deals on Mystery Ranch. And there shipping is free on purchases over $100 or so, and not sure I should say this, but that don’t “add on” tax? Get on there emailing list for there best deals!
No, I don’t work for them and I am not advertising for them…
Good luck!!!

I love Mystery Ranch! I’ve never had to contact customer service in all the years I’ve had them. I have the Metcalf and Marshall. Organization is sparse, but that’s why they are a lighter pack for there size verse some of the others… They have organization pouches you can buy that only add a few extra ounces depending on how many you use.
And not to dog on gohunt, I buy a bunch of stuff from them, and they have great prices! But check out Mountain Archery in Idaho, they are always having great deals on Mystery Ranch. And there shipping is free on purchases over $100 or so, and not sure I should say this, but that don’t “add on” tax? Get on there emailing list for there best deals!
No, I don’t work for them and I am not advertising for them…
Good luck!!!
Great tips.....thanks! I will get on their mailing list. Happy Easter.

I am thinking about buying this pack and wondered if anyone has anything negative comments about this particular pack. I'll be buying new. Thanks!
Mountain Archery is having a 3 day sale starting today on Mystery Ranch packs. The Metcalf is $100 off.

I went on the site last night...Mountain Archery, and they have them for $499 but if I can get them cheaper, I can wait. I rescinded my WY elk app this year so my Pop and I can hunt deer in D so no need for the big pack this year....unless I draw a NV elk tag. LOL

And speaking of Memorial Day sales, GoHunt is selling the Metcalf right now for $393.75.

Just saw that sale that and Broadhead beat me to the punch. Pretty good deal on that pack.
:) I saw the email this morning and figured I'd spread the word.

One other thing - if you're in town (Vegas), stop by the GoHunt office and they will get you fitted properly.

Good to know! That is vital, I had my first MR for over a year before I figured out how to size to myself, went from being not that comfortable to my favorite pack

Good to know! That is vital, I had my first MR for over a year before I figured out how to size to myself, went from being not that comfortable to my favorite pack
Yeah, it really does make a huge difference setting it up for your physique. With a heavy load, as long as you pack your items properly and cinch down all of the straps, especially the load-lifters, the thing is great. Nothing shifts at all. It's a part of your back and hips at that point.

If done properly, you should never feel any unnecessary pull or pressure at all on your shoulders. Everything should be pulling down against your hips which is where your foundation and power is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom