Name the cartridge

HorseCreek

Very Active Member
I can't remember who did this a couple years ago but I thought it was fun and it was interesting to see how many guys know their sh!t.
Ready go!
4745image.jpg

Traditional >>>------->

I think Kevin has it right except for one cartridge. The 458 Win. mag he mentioned appears to be a 450 Marlin. A belted case based on the 45/70 round.

RELH

For sure not a regular hornet on the first one, shoulder to sharp. Other than that, I'm clueless! Except the last one might be a 338 win mag???

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-14 AT 08:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-14 AT 08:03?PM (MST)

17 wsm "20gr":), 22-250,458 win mag,7mm rem mag

"Sometime's i drink water to suprise my liver"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-14 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p].17 Winchester Super Mag?

243 Win!

450 Marlin!

7MM Rem Mag!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

How do u like that 450? Think it's that much different than the 45-70? Never shot 1 owned 1 or read on em

I love it... You'll get different opinions from 45-70 guys. They argue you can load the 45-70 comparably to the 450. It's partially true but the action in the 450 is a lot stronger. It's built for the pressures that the 450 can put out. The factory ammo has been good for me and is priced pretty close to 45-70 ammo. I'm going to start loading for it soon though.
You better be holding on when you squeeze the trigger :)

Traditional >>>------->

I used to shoot the buffalo bore 405 grain 2000 fps ammo in my 45-70...same thing.....hang on! Killed my last doz or so elk with it! Is it comparable #'s wise to that load?

Horsecreek;

I hate to defer with you, but the 450 Marlin and 45/70 1895 are built on the same exact action. In fact the 450 marlin had problems that was not seen in the 1895 45/70 marlin. That was a crack sometimes appearing at 6 O'clock in the frame where the barrel was screwed in to the frame. some felt it was due to taking more metal out of the barrel for the belt that is on the 450 marlin and not on the 45/70 and continued use of very hot loads. You have to remove the forearm and mag tube to see this area. The area is very thin and located between the holes for the screwed in barrel and magazine tube.

I have seen one or two photos of this problem. I believe, but not sure, the photos were posted on the Marlin forum website several years ago. It was one of the reasons I bought a Marlin 1895 LTD-V in 45/70 over the Marlin 450 mag.

RELH

Kinda why I gave up the buffalo bores rehl. Didn't think it was doin my gun any favors and I knew it wasn't doin my shoulder any!

There is two schools on the pressure levels of the 1895 Marlin. Some reloading data confine it to 29,000 PSI. Some other loading data goes up to 40,000 PSI based on the assumption that is the level for the 444 Marlin that also uses the same action as the 45/70 and 450 Marlin.

I confine my loads to the 29,000 PSI. Even at that lower level a 405 gr. bullet will give you good stout recoil on the shoulder. I use a 350 gr. bullet with 43 gr. of IMR-4198 for around 1850-1875 FPS in velocity. I could go up to around 2,000 fps and stay within that 29,000 psi safety margin. That 1875 fps load also gives me 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Upon going to 45 gr. of powder the groups started opening up with each increase of powder charge.

My load at 1875 fps has taken 4 bison with one shot kills and only 1 bullet was ever recovered after going though about 28 inches of the chest and lodging in the far side shoulder.

No need to wear out or damage a 1895 Marlin with those 40,000 psi loads.

RELH

Hey rehl, in kickin around this site I see you've clearly forgotten more about knives than most of us will ever know. How bout startin a knife Q&A thread for guys like me with a question or 2? Bet I'm not the only 1!

>There is two schools on the
>pressure levels of the 1895
>Marlin. Some reloading data confine
>it to 29,000 PSI. Some
>other loading data goes up
>to 40,000 PSI based on
>the assumption that is the
>level for the 444 Marlin
>that also uses the same
>action as the 45/70 and
>450 Marlin.
>
> I confine my
>loads to the 29,000 PSI.
>Even at that lower level
>a 405 gr. bullet will
>give you good stout recoil
>on the shoulder. I use
>a 350 gr. bullet with
>43 gr. of IMR-4198 for
>around 1850-1875 FPS in velocity.
>I could go up to
>around 2,000 fps and stay
>within that 29,000 psi safety
>margin. That 1875 fps load
>also gives me 1 inch
>3 shot groups at 100
>yards. Upon going to 45
>gr. of powder the groups
>started opening up with each
>increase of powder charge.
>
> My load at 1875
>fps has taken 4 bison
>with one shot kills and
>only 1 bullet was ever
>recovered after going though about
>28 inches of the chest
>and lodging in the far
>side shoulder.
>
>No need to wear out or
>damage a 1895 Marlin with
>those 40,000 psi loads.
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH
Good info RELH,
I'll have to look around. I could be wrong but I thought I read from marlin that the actions were different.
Still a great gun/cartridge in my opinion either way.

Traditional >>>------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom