Nankoweap delta

Utahlefty

A recent turn in the photo of the day thread got me thinking about this spot.

We've run the Colorado river in the Grand Canyon twice now and are going back next April.

This is probably *the* iconic shot of the river - it's taken at the ledge of the graneries at Nankoweap (a Paiute word meaning echo canyon)

click to make any pic bigger

p2955787797-5.jpg

the nankoweap delta was extensively farmed and the graneries area about a mile above the river.

p2955788160-5.jpg

p2955796559-5.jpg

p2955799788-5.jpg

their seed stock was stored here and they'd light a fire inside prior to bricking the chambers up, thus creating an airtight container. there is still viable seed (mostly corn) over 1,000 years later

p2955869328-5.jpg

p2955899524-5.jpg

p2955999997-5.jpg

p2956026536-5.jpg

there's so, so much you can only see from the river level. If you ever get a chance to go, GO!

I’ve made the trip twice as well (privateer), and sat at that same spot at Nankoweap. Also probably 30 days or so with a pack on my back on the various trails. A special place for sure.

Floated the San Juan as well, where there are some photogenic ruins and panels. I have thousands of slides of it all that I threaten to do something with every time I see pictures like yours.

I never strayed far from the canyon country and don’t expect I ever will. :cool:

Last edited:
My wife is from Page Az and we used to go there all the time in the 70's. Amazing place my buddy Darrel Diamond's family owned the river tours. Sad story he died in his 30's fell and hit his head and it killed him. Still have friends there spent a lot of time in that area and it has changed so much over the years.
Page was not a city yet when I was there and the F&G patrolled the town no cops.
Wild wild west what we got away with is amazing.

My grandfather worked on Glenn Canyon Dam. Somewhere my mom has a bunch of pictures of the movie set from “The Greatest Story Ever Told” (I believe that’s the one).

The set was reportedly abandoned and is now submerged somewhere around Wahweap.

My grandfather worked on Glenn Canyon Dam. Somewhere my mom has a bunch of pictures of the movie set from “The Greatest Story Ever Told” (I believe that’s the one).

The set was reportedly abandoned and is now submerged somewhere around Wahweap.
Might be in the open now that the lake has dropped so far.....My Father in law was the super for Bechtel on that project that is how my wife ended up being there. I met her when I was working on the Power plant in 1973 her Dad was running that project as well.

Did you know the power plant is gone now? And so is the railroad.

This part of the world is going through some serious changes as fossil fuels die.

yes they closed down the power plant I believe about three years ago. I'll bet the air is cleaner now. Yes and most of the people in town used to work for the power plant not sure what the young men of that town are doing for work now. I think the population is about 6k now it was under 2000 when I was there working and most of those people worked out at the plant.

Yes it is one of my good friends worked there as soon as number one unit was up and running he retired two years before they shut it down. I was a second year apprentice when I was working there in 1974

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom