NDOW Survey

buckhorn

Very Active Member
I got an email from NDOW asking me to complete a survey on hunting for meat.
At the end of the survey there is a space for additional comments.

My comments were that there is a lack of wild game in many areas of Nevada due to an over population of feral horses destroying the habitat and also that there are too many predators.

if any of you folks have concerns you should complete the survey and make your comments in the box at the end.
Thanks

I got an email from NDOW asking me to complete a survey on hunting for meat.
At the end of the survey there is a space for additional comments.

My comments were that there is a lack of wild game in many areas of Nevada due to an over population of feral horses destroying the habitat and also that there are too many predators.

if any of you folks have concerns you should complete the survey and make your comments in the box at the end.
Thanks
I can't stand feral horses or burros!!

Where did you get that survey I checked my email and also love to show them the quotas from 2009 and see why most units have gone up double for mule deer herds must be better than what I see.

I have not seen the survey.

The horse issue sucks and is tied up in federal litigation unfortunately.
The predator issue is a pretty simple answer...

Go kill them. We do put a lot of money into lethal predator removal through the heritage fund and predator fees, and there are a few areas I have read on in the big game status boom which identify predation as a problem.

Area 1 in Washoe County and area 20 in mineral County come to mind specifically.

But keep in mind killing off the predators isn't going to do thegame any good if there is no food or water for what's left. The animals are still going to die, just in a different fashion.

We need to get rid of horses, control predators and improve habitat all simultaneously in order to have an impact.

Where did you get that survey I checked my email and also love to show them the quotas from 2009 and see why most units have gone up double for mule deer herds must be better than what I see.
I came up in my inbox as a promotions.
I don’t think they were sending it to all hunters. Don’t know why they selected me?
I’ll give them a call and see if there’s a link for it.

They know about the feral horse problem. There is a copy of the April meeting minutes online and feral horses are listed as the #3 issue regarding mule deer habitat. This is specific to areas 19 and 29 but they know there issue is there. I attached the meeting minuets in PDF here.

Attachments

• 04-21-21 MINUTES CC-Douglas-Storey Area 19-29 MDEP Subcommittee DRAFT ADA 2.pdf
    8.6 MB · Views: 114
They know about the feral horse problem. There is a copy of the April meeting minutes online and feral horses are listed as the #3 issue regarding mule deer habitat. This is specific to areas 19 and 29 but they know there issue is there. I attached the meeting minuets in PDF here.
Thanks for the link.

This is what I got on the survey. Sorry I don’t have a link.
There were questions in there concerning habitat conditions.

D79D8642-8216-44C0-9DE1-2586B387FC29.jpeg

The mountain lion, horse & burro issue needs a resolution.
I scouted / hiked an area years ago with very little deer sign. After a few hours of walking I found a single set of deer tracks. Unfortunately that set was being followed by a set of mountain lion tracks.
The horse & burro issue IMO is a far greater problem. Here in NV there are only limited areas that can support the deer & elk herds. With the horses & burros competing for the limited food source the deer & elk suffer. Here is a pic of a horse feeding about 10 yards from a buck that I had glassed.
1626432958859.jpeg

To bad we don’t an infomercial that shows starving kinds in Africa and tell the public for one dollar a day generous sportsman will shoot horses to feed these kids. Nonprofit group of corse and the donations will be for shipping and handling. Just make jerky out of them cuts water weight and shelf stable.

What does wild horse taste like?

I was thinking that when **** collapses and there's no meat in the store, I'll be out in the desert harvesting some mustangs. Pretty sure there won't be anyone patrolling the desert in that scenario. Hell, I wouldn't even have to drive farther than Sparks.

Last edited:
Nv really has become a meat hunters state only.they offer way to many tags across the state.In many units state wide with great genetics you are lucky to find any older age class animals.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom