NE CALI Elk Youth Hunt Success 6x7

blazintowers

First off big thanks to those that reached out with info and put us in touch with some locals to the area...

So My son drew 1 of the 2 apprentice tags for unit 409 this year. I dont know why, but I originally put him in for one of the other units and ended up calling DFG to change our draw app to unit 409, call it intuition I guess...LOL...to my surprise he actually got lucky and drew it, this being his last year as a youth hunter...so lots of preparing since finding out we would be going to NE Cali for a prized once in a lifetime elk hunt!!! plenty of range time shooting pop's 7mag, buying expensing hunting gear, blah, blah, blah...Also thanks to some of my fellow hunters for sharing info on past hunt. Anyhow we made it out to our destination last Monday for the hunt that started on Wednesday morning with my Son Aiden's Godfather and a new good friend from the local area.
Hunted hard all opening morning, climbing lava rock infested mountains and thick timber. Heard one bugling bull that morning that got all our hearts and blood pumping. He was getting nearer but must have caught wind and decided to head out of dodge before we even caught a glimpse of him. Headed back to the truck after that to rest up for the evening hunt.
Evening hunt we took a ride to the back side of the mountain, hiked around, glassed. sat and waited for any action. Started getting late and we finally heard what almost sounded like a deep low growl. Our buddy throws out a cow call and almost immediately get a unmistakable bugle back...this goes on back and forth for what seems like an eternity, blood pumping and hearts pounding. I dont know how my 15 year old kept it together but he was pretty calm and collected. The bull finally comes out of the thick timber, my kid was using a boulder for a rest and just kept waiting for a clear shot. Finally the bull is coming in and about at a100 yards and Aiden lets the 7mag bark! Cranked another round in him like I told him before the hunt, shoot until he's down. Took 3 Barnes 150 grain TTSX coppers to bring him down. Cant express how happy and proud we all were walking up on his beautiful California NE bull...

NE Elk Hunt 409.jpg

Ne Elk Hunt 409.jpg1.jpg

Ne Elk Hunt 409.jpg2jpg.jpg

NE Elk Hunt 409.7.jpg

elk 409 1.jpg

elk 409.jpg

Thanks Everyone, My 15 year old son has gotten a real kick out of reading the reply's and has been on cloud 9 since the hunt! Definitely a hunt of a life time and beautiful country in NE California, a whole different world from SOCAL!!!

Since your son's reading...first off, congratulations on an awesome bull! Secondly, congratulations to pops for getting you out there! It's hard to imagine now, but when you have a kid and take them out and watch them be successful, especially with an awesome animal like your elk, the feeling your dad had watching you put the smack down was at least twice what you felt...pretty awesome all the way around. Congrats again!!

Thanks again fellas!

Hntndux, you are exactly right! It was 10X's better watching that kid put the smack down on that elk than I would have felt doing it myself...He has no idea right now but I know when I'm long gone he will remember that day like I remember my hunts with my old man and we never killed sh!t together...

Congratulations! Sounds like your son had a most memorable hunt. While it doesn’t always end in success of a harvest (and success isn’t necessary gauged by a harvest) , it’s so rewarding to practice, put in effort, and have a situation like this happen and with family present, makes it incredibly special. A lifetime memory….

Well done

Thanks for all the kind words and comments. Couldn’t have done it without help from this community and cool friends and families help! It’s so beautiful up North in that country and the people are all so friendly. Saw lots of waterfowl on the ponds, lakes, and waterways, antelope, deer, bear, and one unfortunate elk. awesome time, memories forever. Damn, I wish we were still up there! ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom