NE Wyoming Whitetails

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I'm taking a shot and wondering if anyone has info on whitetail deer in the northeast part of Wyoming. My Dad wants to shoot a whitetail buck and where we hunt not in Region D, they are scarce. So, I told him I'd do some research and see if anyone has any info on public or private land that holds whitetails in Region C. If there are other options in other regions, we'd appreciate it if you'd chime in. We are NR's and would be willing to pay a trespass fee if required to get on private land. We are not trophy hunters.....my Dad just wants to kill a whitetail buck. Thanks for any positive info I can go on.

Also, are the C season dates Oct 1-20? I thought that far east, they'd be opening Oct 15th?

I just was on the WY site and it looks as if most if not all NR whitetail deer tags need to be killed off private ground in Reg A? Am I reading that right? Does this mean a NR can only hunt private property? Does Region B hold many WT's?

What they are saying is ya have to kill bucks only off private ground but if you can obtain permission on some private you would have the choice of killing buck or doe. There is plenty of whitetails in all the regions you have mentioned, but as others have said region A is probably your best option as far as public land, but killing a whitetail buck could be done in any of them rather public , private if you can gain permission or walk-in areas ect. Good luck in your dads pursuit of a whitetail buck!! They are pretty tasty ?

I just was on the WY site and it looks as if most if not all NR whitetail deer tags need to be killed off private ground in Reg A? Am I reading that right? Does this mean a NR can only hunt private property? Does Region B hold many WT's?
You're not reading it right.

Deer took a big hit in region A. I would wait a few years. Hunting was tough to even find yearlings this year.

We went up to Devils Tower on or way to Mt. Rushmore last year, man I saw some dang nice Whitetail bucks up there. Pretty sure all of them were on private.

If you are a non-resident, why choose Wyoming for a whitetail? Just curious as there are much better states with cheaper and easier to get tags. Many seasons in other states also line up with the whitetail rut making it quite a bit easier to have success.

That said, there are quite a few whitetails on the eastern end of the state from Colorado up with some public land opportunities.

If you are a non-resident, why choose Wyoming for a whitetail? Just curious as there are much better states with cheaper and easier to get tags. Many seasons in other states also line up with the whitetail rut making it quite a bit easier to have success.

That said, there are quite a few whitetails on the eastern end of the state from Colorado up with some public land opportunities.
For the ease of drawing the tag, instead of waiting almost a decade to hunt muleys on the west side of the state. You still are hunting Wyoming, just for a different deer.
Check out some type 3 tags. Those seasons go through the month of November right in the peak of the rut. When looking for an area to choose, also look at the HMA's and walk-in areas in the unit. Even some of the smaller parcels can be great hunting for whiteys!

My Dad isn't deadset on WY for whitetails. Personally, it's not one of my bucketlist hunts but my Dad is 77 or 78 so if it's something he wants to do, I'll do it within just to get more time in the field with him. I have heard that SD has some good public ground but I will def look into eastern CO. I'd assume lots of private ground east of the Rockies though.

Which western states have much cheaper and easier to get whitetail tags than Wyoming? And most Wyoming whitetail hunts run during the peak of the rut.

Which western states have much cheaper and easier to get whitetail tags than Wyoming? And most Wyoming whitetail hunts run during the peak of the rut.
Nebraska is the first to come to mind. Wyoming does have whitetail hunts during the rut but only on whitetail specific tags. Cross the border to the east and tags are cheaper and you can shoot either species for less money during the rut and you can hunt either species from sept 1 through dec 31... the last 8 weeks the majority is open for firearm during the first and second rut.

Not sure why you would argue the merits of Wyoming being a whitetail destination? Imo, It can't hold a candle to the states bordering it to the north, north east, east, or south.

Nebraska is the first to come to mind. Wyoming does have whitetail hunts during the rut but only on whitetail specific tags. Cross the border to the east and tags are cheaper and you can shoot either species for less money during the rut and you can hunt either species from sept 1 through dec 31... the last 8 weeks the majority is open for firearm during the first and second rut.

Not sure why you would argue the merits of Wyoming being a whitetail destination? Imo, It can't hold a candle to the states bordering it to the north, north east, east, or south.
This is not correct. Wyoming has general tag whitetail rut hunts. Also, in region A that includes mule deer too.

This is not correct. Wyoming has general tag whitetail rut hunts. Also, in region A that includes mule deer too.
There are general tag rut hints for wt by Sheridan Buffalo and kaycee too. Just a handful that i know of maybe more

Idaho has quite the wt population too and they don't all live on agriculture like most of the wt do in Wyo

Idaho is more expensive because you have to buy the hunting license in addition to the whitetail tag. Also, a quick check shows the Idaho Panhandle is a further drive from where Wiszard lives versus a drive to Casper, WY.

Idaho is more expensive because you have to buy the hunting license in addition to the whitetail tag. Also, a quick check shows the Idaho Panhandle is a further drive from where Wiszard lives versus a drive to Casper, WY.
Gonna have a hell of a time hunting wt on public in Casper wy unless you have a full season to invest in trying to get lucky

Gonna have a hell of a time hunting wt on public in Casper wy unless you have a full season to invest in trying to get lucky
I think we're shooting for hunting up near Worland. Have spent some time south of Casper and the wt pop is pretty small. I appreciate the info.

I think we're shooting for hunting up near Worland. Have spent some time south of Casper and the wt pop is pretty small. I appreciate the info.
I hunted 41 2 years ago. Got hammered with EHD spent almost every weekend of the season up there and I didn't kill one hunted public and private my brothers wife shot the only buck we saw on public 110"ish 4x4

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom