Nebo elk

Thomas11

Looks like I've drawn a nebo muzzy elk tag! Super excited. Most of my elk hunts have been in CO archery OTC. So I'm thinking this should be a much better hunt. I understand the unit is very steep and rugged. And most of the elk reside in the northern half of the unit. It seems the elk herd there is on the rebound according to herd size now and age structure is improving. I would appreciate anyone's knowledge or past experiences with the unit and maybe some places to start keying in on? I know the unit isn't a top tier unit for UT so I understand to have realistic expectations. I don't mind packing in on foot a few miles into the wilderness or any other remote place if it is much better hunting. I've done this in CO and enjoy getting away from the crowds. I've looked at GE and have some ideas as well. Thanks in advance guys!

I have a deer tag for there. Email me your cell phone so I can let you know what I see as far as wapiti go......

I'm holding out for Manti elk but if I see good stuff scouting I might jump ship next year.

[email protected]

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

>Looks like I've drawn a nebo
>muzzy elk tag! Super excited.
>Most of my elk hunts
>have been in CO archery
>OTC. So I'm thinking this
>should be a much better
>hunt. I understand the unit
>is very steep and rugged.
>And most of the elk
>reside in the northern half
>of the unit. It seems
>the elk herd there is
>on the rebound according to
>herd size now and age
>structure is improving. I would
>appreciate anyone's knowledge or past
>experiences with the unit and
>maybe some places to start
>keying in on? I know
>the unit isn't a top
>tier unit for UT so
>I understand to have
>realistic expectations. I don't mind
>packing in on foot a
>few miles into the wilderness
>or any other remote place
>if it is much better
>hunting. I've done this in
>CO and enjoy getting away
>from the crowds. I've looked
>at GE and have some
>ideas as well. Thanks in
>advance guys!

My dad drew the nebo multi season elk tag this year. I'll be looking all over the unit throughout the summer and earlier hunts. I'll be happy to help where I can

>>Looks like I've drawn a nebo
>>muzzy elk tag! Super excited.
>>Most of my elk hunts
>>have been in CO archery
>>OTC. So I'm thinking this
>>should be a much better
>>hunt. I understand the unit
>>is very steep and rugged.
>>And most of the elk
>>reside in the northern half
>>of the unit. It seems
>>the elk herd there is
>>on the rebound according to
>>herd size now and age
>>structure is improving. I would
>>appreciate anyone's knowledge or past
>>experiences with the unit and
>>maybe some places to start
>>keying in on? I know
>>the unit isn't a top
>>tier unit for UT so
>>I understand to have
>>realistic expectations. I don't mind
>>packing in on foot a
>>few miles into the wilderness
>>or any other remote place
>>if it is much better
>>hunting. I've done this in of
>>CO and enjoy getting away
>>from the crowds. I've looked
>>at GE and have some
>>ideas as well. Thanks in
>>advance guys!
>
>My dad drew the nebo multi
>season elk tag this year.
>I'll be looking all over
>the unit throughout the summer
>and earlier hunts. I'll be
>happy to help where I
>can
Thanks! I'll PM u

I've been on 3 archery hunts on the Nebo it holds some big bulls and it can be a tough hunt there is some nasty thick country there. If you're having trouble finding some as it gets closer to the hunt I'll send you down a few holes to check for some elk. Muzzleloader season should be pretty fun on that mtn. My buddy hit a bull when he had an archery tag and we looked for the bull during the rifle hunt and we watched a Nice 6 point below us rutting cows a couple minutes later we heard a gun shot and some guy got him. I'm sure you'll see some bears while you're down there as well.

LAST EDITED ON May-26-17 AT 01:11PM (MST)[p]Nephi canyon is my backyard, I agree with everyone says that it holds some big bulls, I'm up there quite a big, not as much as I'd like but that's life, got kids ya know.

But i'll serious aside I know most everyone I talk hunts the north end of unit over by Spanish Fork canyon, but don't over look the Nebo loop road, I've seen aton of elk along that road on tons up by hop creek, if you want I can possibly take you to a spot I found that its just crazy elk country, counted over 50 head in one spot during the archery deer hunt last year, and there were some damn good bulls that herd.

Hunt where you want but agree with what everyone said and bring your hiking boots!

Good luck kill a dandy!

Thanks guys for all the help! Tagged out the first day! In the snow! If I could figure out how to load a pic I would.?

Here's the pics I got from Thomas11. Great bull. Looks like fun!!!!

94170img0215.jpg

8140img0219.jpg

74449img0257.jpg

91516img0310.jpg

38282img0329.jpg

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

>Nice bull.
>
>Looks like he put some effort
>into it despite the opening
>day success.
>
>Congrats!

Man we did! Took us two days to get him packed off thie mountain.

>Here's the pics I got from
>Thomas11.
>Great bull. Looks
>like fun!!!!
>
>
94170img0215.jpg

>
>
8140img0219.jpg

>
>
>
74449img0257.jpg

>
>
>
91516img0310.jpg

>
>
38282img0329.jpg

>
>"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Thanks for posting! I was happy to get him! That's some tough country !

I noticed in the third picture the bone is exposed on the nose did a bear or coyote start feeding on the cape. Awesome bull that unit can be a tough one.

>I noticed in the third picture
>the bone is exposed on
>the nose did a bear
>or coyote start feeding on
>the cape. Awesome bull that
>unit can be a tough
>one.

No I cut the lower jaw off etc before packing him to cut as much weight as possible. We saw a fresh bear track in the snow that first morning but we hung all the meat and nothing messed with it luckily!

Thomas11 congrats on the bull! Hopefully you have also had success since.

To those that live close (@PSEbackcountry and @Camper_A1) , how has the unit rebounded from the 2018 fire?

Just found out today I drew a 2021 archery tag for the unit. Super excited!

"Shooting a .338 off a bench at 1000+ doesn’t count “from the road"

right that's shooting them from camp.

One of then may have only be in the 390s but I have seen pictures of all 3 bulls they're all monsters in their own right whether they were shot from a bench or from the bottom of blacks canyon.

>I noticed in the third picture
>the bone is exposed on
>the nose did a bear
>or coyote start feeding on
>the cape. Awesome bull that
>unit can be a tough
>one.

No I cut the lower jaw off etc before packing him to cut as much weight as possible. We saw a fresh bear track in the snow that first morning but we hung all the meat and nothing messed with it luckily!
Did you get your tooth data back on that bull ? I like trying to guess the age. :)

Shooting a .338 off a bench at 1000+ doesn’t count “from the road”.

and I only know of 2 400s. 1 360, 1 350 and a pile between 320-340
Well, hopefully we can find one more left over 317 1/2"...which is the goal.

It sounds like the population goal is 1,450 and they are at 1,900. 45 bulls tags total for all seasons issued the last couple years and it appears this year is the same (not counting spikes).

I didn’t receive anything back from the state. Idk if I could log into my acct and see it?
Go to the wildlife.utah.gov web site. Go to Drawing information enter your info and go to Harvest survey at the end of the letter it will give you your tooth data if you sent it in. But sometimes it takes more then a year for the state to process it or longer or never.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom