Nebraska Mule Deer Hunting

Stilhuntin

Non resident here. I have enjoyed hunting in Nebraska a few times and met some great people out there.

How is the mule deer hunting outside the MDCA In Nebraska?

I would like to do a muzzleloader hunt in December for mule deer or would a whitetail hunt give me the better opportunity at a nice deer?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Well , I’m going to be brutally honest .... the pressure is absolutely insane. I’m talking even hiking in a few miles , you won’t be alone. We hunted it last year and yes we did take 2 nice mule deer bucks off public. I’m not sure if I’d go back or not , we got extremely lucky but we worked our tails off for them. Most days we didn’t even see a buck of any kind on public. I believe on 3 separate occasions I had to remind the locals that road closed signs mean road closed ! Really pisses me off when I hike in with my 2 kids and a pkup comes by me , that didn’t go over well with me at all. One in particular I had to basically step in front of his pkup and use some colorful language to get him to do the right thing and back out ! It was an expirience is about all I can say about it. Private land , you’d have a good hunt !

Less than 3% of the state is public and the state gives out unlimited Muzzy tags is probably enough said. I live 25 miles south of Halsey National forest and I like to ride my bike there, the number of people that are recreating in the forest has gone up an unbelievable % since Covid began. Best of luck to you and congats to Stillwater189, a good accomplishment to take two nice muliey bucks off public in Nebraska.

I'm in Valentine working, seen one buck ~26 on private. Very few mule deer on the public unless it's like McKelvie or you hike way in on Valentine NWR or get lucky up at the Fort. Even at McKelvie you aren't going to turn a big buck up easily from what even the federal wardens are telling me. Also been told to bring your own rock to sit on.

Similar experience here. Hunted Pine Ridge years ago. Cool country but there isn’t a place you could get more than a mile or two from a road. Was great from what my buddies tell
me 10 years ago. Until they start limiting tags a bit it will just be an enjoyable time with friends but not a great deer hunt.

Less than 3% of the state is public and the state gives out unlimited Muzzy tags is probably enough said. I live 25 miles south of Halsey National forest and I like to ride my bike there, the number of people that are recreating in the forest has gone up an unbelievable % since Covid began. Best of luck to you and congats to Stillwater189, a good accomplishment to take two nice muliey bucks off public in Nebraska.

Unlimited muzzy

And

Archery

And

Firearms.

There are literally more hunters on NE public land than deer.

My experience with Nebraska mule deer was a good one. But I was in the MDCA. 1st time ever shooting a muzzleloader at a deer. Great old buck and a bonus doe whitetail.
Saw some great bucks. Actually after getting permission to go kill a mid 175-180 buck ran into a buck that I could not pass up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom