Need Advice

C

cleaner

I have decided to take up bowhunting and am looking for any advice you guys have to offer to a beginner....I'll be shooting a PSE Predator, 80 lb. draw, 80% let-off...I have no previous experience other than going with a couple of friends and watching them. I'll be hunting mostly in semi-thick timber with visibility only out to about 30-35 yards. I work with a guy who has bowhunted for about 30 years and plans on helping me over the next 9 months but I'm interested in anything you guys have to share.

Cleaner,
What are you going to be hunting, deer, elk, both?
Flick 'em & Stick 'em

1)Make it perfect practice. Fewer shots, 101% concentration. Don't just wing lotsa arrows.
2)Stand close to a bale. close your eyes, draw and shoot. Get to know the feel.
3)Shoot as many 3D tournaments that you can. Shoot the smoker.
4)Lower the poundage so you can comfortably draw the bow with it held out horizontally, not pointed upward.
5)Know your effective yardage.
6)Practice your stalking technique on animals before the season.
7) Shoot with broadheads and a full quiver well before the season.

I'll second the call for the lowest poundage your bow can be set to.

With low draw weight you can shoot 4 times as often and twice as many arrows. Additionally you can perfect your form much more easily.

Sit in the freezer for 2 hours all bundled up in your warmest hunting gear, then sit on a chair with your feet off the ground and try drawing that bow with your elbow up high and the sight not wavering off the deers vitals the whole way back.

I think you'll find that no matter how big and strong you are, 80 lbs is a bunch to do smoothly when chilled and you need stealth.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom