Need help--How to smooth the hair down on a deer mount?

BearCat

I have a couple of mounts that over the years the hair on the face has become--well not smooth. I have tried just lightly wetting it and trying to brush it but it does not seem to work. So my question is how do you get the hair to lay nice and flat around the head where it is very short?

thanks to all of those that take the time to offer up suggestions!!!

BearCat

warm water and pert plus shampoo. Take a thick brush and comb it down with that, then take some hair gel and lay that into it,.

That depends a bit on what method of cape handling your taxidermist used... meaning if the cape was tanned before it was mounted or if he used dry preservative on it. If it was tanned you can dampen the hair and skin on those areas that are less than smooth and thus soften the hide up at that spot so you can get the hair to lay flat again. If it was mounted with a dry preservative it may not be that easy...(this is where you get what you pay for in taxidermy). Try dampening the skin and hair on those spots you don't like and then cut a small piece of screen wire just bigger than that spot. Put some hair gel on the hair and then place the screen over it making sure the hair is right, then use a few straight pens pushed through the screen to hold it in place until the hair and skin dry out again. That should do the trick.

First off thanks for someone taking the time out to help!! I would have thought there would be more response--oh well.

Firemedic56 the hide was tanned before it was mounted. I have tried wetting it before but it did not stay very long. But I might not have let it stay wet long enough (I just sprayed it with water and started working on it) I will try and wet it with warm water and then let it sit for a bit and try it again.

Also thanks for the hair gel idea, I have heard about it but not tried it.

Thanks
Dean

Dampen it and card it by using heavy card stock pressed down in the direction of the hair, and pin it tight. Leave it for a couple of weeks. That'll hold it down permanantly.

Bucktaxi thanks a ton. I had seen that done before but was not sure. One Question: Do I use any hair gel etc, or just get it good and wet and then do as you suggested?

thanks again for taking the time!!!

Dean

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom