Need help on removing Oryx horns

buckhunter64

Killed an Oryx a couple weeks ago and have a friend doing me a euro mount. Has the skull boiled but cant get the horns to come off. Looking for suggestions. Thanks

Get em hot by boiling in plain water as high up the horns as possible and twist. They should pop right off.

They can be a bit*h. Drill a couple small holes on the back of the horns, about 6-8" and 12-14" from the base. Plug them later. Boil again in a large deep pot on the propane burner which will submerse the holes for a while. Wrap in a rag and place in vice on workbench. Get a lot of torque on it and twist off. May take a couple tries, watch the bases closely!!

Sorry I wasn't too clear. I prefer to get the water as hot as possible, and the immersion as short as possible. Works for me

Boiling can be pretty brutal to horns and skulls. You may want to soak them for a while in water plus borax and dawn before trying any boiling? You could always fill a garbage can with water to around 2' depth if the skull end of the horns fits towards the bottom? Oryx horns are super thin towards the bases so I would be super careful. The skull bones go a long ways up each horn so this may take a while especially if they've dried out.

Boy those horns popped off quick and easy! I would suggest doing this ASAP before it sits and dries or it is a lot tougher! I've never used mop and glow. I may have to try it?

I do the same bag trick with pronghorn, mtn goat, and sheep. When it's warm the bag trick works a lot quicker and easier than when it's cold. Put it in a spot where critters or your wife don't catch wind of it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom