Need help picking right .300win ammo

hossblur

Long Time Member
My oldest is getting a x bolt .300win for his b day.

Normally we'd try all sorts of ammo.

But it's 2021.

Primarily an elk/mulie gun

In my mind he should look 200grain.

Help a feller out

Grain and manufacturer. And preferably something we have a chance at finding.

Thanks in advance

Those big slugs hurt. I like 165’s; 180’s if I’m after elephants. You might have to buy what you can find, Just don’t buy any euro trash.

f=m*a

Last edited:
Reload. I've been running 175 grain Barnes LRX through mine. Also tried 180 TTSX. LRXs gave me a tiny bit better accuracy (just less than MOA with either) Have taken 1 elk, 1 antelope, and several mulies with them at ranges from 50 to 575. A couple DRT, elk took 2 rounds, one mulie flattened, but got up and moved 20 yds.

My 300 WM loves 180 grain sciroccos but no dice
It likes fusion also but no dice
I will be looking for something after I’m done with elk 4th season as I’m getting way low on ammo
Been searching all year locally but can’t find crap

Reload. I've been running 175 grain Barnes LRX through mine. Also tried 180 TTSX. LRXs gave me a tiny bit better accuracy (just less than MOA with either) Have taken 1 elk, 1 antelope, and several mulies with them at ranges from 50 to 575. A couple DRT, elk took 2 rounds, one mulie flattened, but got up and moved 20 yds.

I like this. I don’t have a 300 Winchester Mag, but I have the 300 WBY and these are two that do really well. 200 grain are good too I suppose but they seem overkill to me. 180 is a heavy enough bullet.

It will be hard to find ammo or components. You will have to sign up for notifications from online places like Midway or optics planet etc. and check manufacturers websites almost daily. It does pay off. I get notifications for powder and primers that was not available and I only waited five weeks or less but some of the bullets are much farther out where you might have to choose something available while you wait. 30, 338, and 22 cal are lacking inventory of a lot of the good stuff. Just recently I got a notification for a Sierra bullet that I’ve been waiting 8 months for and it was now in stock with Midway. I looked at Sierra’s website and it still shows out of stock. So the information is scattered, but keep at it. Not sure if you reload, but you can do that with loaded ammo too.

Personally I believe 180s and a 300 win will take just about anything you can hunt on the continent. Mine shoots federal trophy bonded well also have some 200gr. In the eldx
Hoss. Where are you guys located Ill keep my eyes out for any I see here locally but yes it’s hard ammo to find these days

Personally I believe 180s and a 300 win will take just about anything you can hunt on the continent. Mine shoots federal trophy bonded well also have some 200gr. In the eldx
Hoss. Where are you guys located Ill keep my eyes out for any I see here locally but yes it’s hard ammo to find these days

Northern Utah.

I can get 150 grain, and have a few boxes to break on the barrel.

But with conditions today, if I can at least zero in on it, that helps

The winchester ballistic silvertips 180 grain has never failed me. Shoot great at all distance. Just my personal choice it is what works for me. Glad I bought a bunch before they vanished off the shelf.

4 of my 5 .300s are used for nothing but elk/mule deer.

I started out loading a 165 grain speer grand slam, then moved to 180 grain Barnes Xs and now have 175 and 190 grain Barnes LRX.

I'm pretty comfortable with the 175s; they seem to bridge the gap nicely between 165s (speed is king) and the 200s (mass for knockdown).

Hoss,
The above replies are all good but unfortunately the correct answer during this ammo pandemic is: buy whatever you can get and hope it shoots well in his new rifle.
Worry about the “right” ammo if we ever get back to “normal”.
Reloading components are becoming increasingly available but if you’re not reloading, we’ll then, that won’t help.

Zeke

My normal load is 180 gr Sierra game King over 72grs. of IMR 4831. For this year I could find the SGK's to save my soul. The only thing I was able to get my hands on was 180gr Speer Hot Cor's. Took a buck yesterday so, so far so good.

I did have 180gr TTSX's loaded up, but was disappointed in the buck I took with them two years ago. The shot was at 82yds and pencilled through. The deer didn't even react, just walked 10yds feeding and fell over. Now for my 308 the 130gr TSX intrigues me for my 20" 308.

If you are looking for factory ammo, do not pass up any Federal ammo with the 180 gr. Nosler Partition bullet. When I was building rifles, that factory ammo gave me the best accuracy using premium bullets. This was before the TSX became popular and I never tried that bullet to see if it would do better.
RELH

Factory ammo I would run Hornady precision hunter with the 200 grain eldx.

Hand loading ive always ran Berger 215 hybrids, 210vlds or 190vlds paired with H1000.

I’d highly recommend putting a quality break on it. I run APA little bastard gen 3 on majority of rifles and it makes shooting the big 30cal magnums with 200 plus grain bullets a lot more enjoyable.

I use the Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX 180 gn factory ammo in my .300 Win Mag and I've been very pleased. Dumped a deer at 285 yards and an elk at 685 yards this year. They haven't let me down yet. But good luck finding anything. I just handed over my Savage 110 .30-06 to my 14 year old son. He really want's to go shoot it but there is no finding ammo (as you know).

I use the Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX 180 gn factory ammo in my .300 Win Mag and I've been very pleased. Dumped a deer at 285 yards and an elk at 685 yards this year. They haven't let me down yet. But good luck finding anything. I just handed over my Savage 110 .30-06 to my 14 year old son. He really want's to go shoot it but there is no finding ammo (as you know).
Legacy, I believe I have some 30-06 accelerators your welcome to... Send me a PM, I'm ND for the next week but will get in touch with you when I get back...

My Fierce in 300 Win mag shoots just about anything pretty good. My heavy load is a 200 gr Partition with a handful of RL25 and it shoots just under an 1" MOA.

But oddly enough I've got a few old boxes of 150 gr Core Lokts and they should better than I can reload for. Sheesh if only they were good enough bullet to hunt with :rolleyes:

I shoot Remington cor-loc 180’s and have not had any issues for elk. Mostly one shot kills, good penetration and expansion. Nothing wrong with those if you find them. But if you find something else, they will probably work as well.

If you have a choice, I would use 150s for deer, still a lot of gun for deer though!

Hoss, you want some core-lok 180’s? Let me know…

Super kind.

Grandpa said he has a bunch of corelokts for him box

I found a few boxes of Norma 150gr to break it in, and a couple 180sst Hornady.

He knows he's getting an xbolt 300, he doesn't know which one, so seeing boxes of shells is driving him nuts.

Hornady 200gr eldx. Love them. Incredibly accurate and have beyond proved themselves on many elk, mule deer and pronghorn. 30yds to 540yds so far

Legacy, I believe I have some 30-06 accelerators your welcome to... Send me a PM, I'm ND for the next week but will get in touch with you when I get back...

Tikka, that’s very generous! I actually was digging through my safe and found a box of core-lokts. I guess we will shoot those up until I can find a box of Barnes for sale. ?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom