Need help with Wasatch Archery Elk tag

3hntrs

I'm one of the lucky hunters that drew the Wasatch Mts Bull Elk tag. I'm a hard working DIY archery hunter and am just starting my research as to were to go. Anyone have advice. I've got the time to find the right bull just not the money for a high dollar guide.

Look into the west side of Timpanogas on Mahogany Mtn. and in Battlecreek canyon above Pleasant Grove. There aren't a lot of elk but there are some great bulls in there.

Go to Strawberry and follow the road around to renegade and take the road road the says Indian Creek Follow that up towards the top and camp up there and hunt the canyons on top you should find some elk ... do alot of scouting this summer and you should find a good one.

Congratulations on your draw. I drew the same tag and I can't wait for this fall. It's even fun during the summer scouting and finding the good areas. I suggest looking for some watering holes that are in good areas but aren't easily accessible. When the hunt starts that'll be the best bet. Later on, you may have a chance to call and get into the herd bull action. It's a huge area so don't spread yourself out too thin.

Good Luck! We'll expect some pictures this fall.

AF Canyon is often over looked. There is very little pressure up there and the last few years it has produced some great bulls. I had a friend of my dads draw the rifle tag last year and after several days hunting asked if I could help. I sent him into an area where I have seen many great bulls over the past few years and he killed a really pretty 370" bull on his first morning in the area. I am also a DIY archery guy and I would be more than happy to show you a few good spots up there. I have called multiple nice bulls in up there and it just ticks me off that I can't draw the tag. Feel free to PM me. I live in Lehi and I am always up there I would be glad to show you a few good areas. Good luck it should be fun.

The strawberry valley is a huge area, but good bulls everywhere.
I have a cabin over in soldier creek, and have hunted that area most of my hunting life.
My advice is too stay away from the popular, common named areas (5th water, poison ridge, strawberry ridge) and put your efforts into other places that won't have so much pressure. You really can't go wrong just about anywhere up there, elk everywhere!!
PM me and i'll spill my gut's on a few places i seldom see people in that hold good bulls.

4694528e05184314.jpg

AF Canyon Bull 2006. Just a cell phone pic but you can see he was a great bull. Good Luck

MtQuivers,
I have some spots nailed out south of Woodland and I'd like to try them initially but later in the hunt if you would be willing, I'd really like you to show me some of your good areas. I have some private mule deer property that I'd be happy to trade you with. PM me if you would be willing to take me up AF Canyon.

There are lots of places in the wasatch unit that are way better than A.F. canyon. With lots less pressure. The nice thing about A.F. canyon is there aren't alot of barbed wire fences. I hear some people have problems with them.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom