Need packer near Star Valley

tmbr_hntr

Going to be archery hunting elk in western WY again this year. Just found out my dad has a torn rotator cuff and needs surgery so I will most likely be going solo. I would love to line up someone to pack an elk out when I get one down. I'll be 3-6 miles back with good pack trail access. I know exactly where I'll be and it will be an easy pack out for someone with horses. Anyone know someone in the area that provides this service? I just need reliable. Feel free to PM.

Thanks
Rick

>Going to be archery hunting elk
>in western WY again this
>year. Just found out my
>dad has a torn rotator
>cuff and needs surgery so
>I will most likely be
>going solo. I would love
>to line up someone to
>pack an elk out when
>I get one down. I'll
>be 3-6 miles back with
>good pack trail access. I
>know exactly where I'll be
>and it will be an
>easy pack out for someone
>with horses. Anyone know someone
>in the area that provides
>this service? I just need
>reliable. Feel free to PM.
>

> Sharon Dayton Magic Mountain Outfitters, Cokeville, Wyoming

Have any contact info Sharon Dayton Magic Mountain Outfitters, Cokeville, Wyoming? I searched the web and could not find any?

Thanks
Rick

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-13 AT 09:55AM (MST)[p]Yellowstone Horse Rentals is in Star Valley and a sponsor here on Monster Muleys (888-936-9292). Founder has used them and recomends them. He just posted about them in the last couple weeks.

This appears at the top of the forums every so often.

** Hunt Option of the Week **

Western Wyoming Horse Rentals .... So, did you draw a western Wyoming deer tag? How about an elk tag? If you are in need of horses, our friends at Yellowstone Horse Rentals can help you out ... View ad here - CLICK RIGHT HERE

I have thought about the horse rental, but I have no horse experience and worry it may be more hassle since I don't. Thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. Getting old enough that I want some help with the pack out part. I called YHR and left a message. I will be watching the post on this one, good luck.

DZ

Horses need daily care-water;feed,exercise.Without any previous horse experience this would be a big hassle for you-especially on your own.

I am not a horse guy,but I've been around them on plenty of hunts with buddies that use them.Don't remember too many hunts without some type of incident involving the horses.Maybe they just weren't that good of horses...I don't know.I know those few incidents helped me form my opinion of horses-Let someone else do the horse handling!Lol.

Have to agree with Nontypical. Horses take time out of your hunting time. If you have no experience probably not right for you. They are life savers in and out, but a bit of a hassle during the hunt.

When I go with horses there is usally someone around that really enjoys the horses as much as the hunt and it is not a problem. On top of that if there is several hunters you can split up the times and take a day, which is not bad. On that day you just hunt close to base camo in the morning and night and deal with the horses and on the other days hunt all day or from a spike camp.

The cost of rentals if you plan on a week hunt could be as much as a packers cost also.

We have been packed in before and left for 9-days and then picked up by the horses and packed out. That is the way to go and the horses are not an issue during the hunt, but gets you, your gear and game in and out.

I can sure relate to the previous two posts in that I would definitely say to get a packer and don't try to rent one and DIY. I rented a trailer, 2 horses, and all the tack for two Wyoming hunts back in 1997 and 1999. Never again, as they just take way too much time taking care of them in the morning and evening. Water alone is a biggy, as they need a lot every day, and if it isn't closeby and readily available there is no way you could make it work.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom