Need Pointers For My First Elk, in Wasatch Unit

MasonG

My names is Mason and I‘m 17 and trying to get my first elk. I drew a Wasatch limited entry tag, and we’ve been up here hiking around all over and I’m not having much luck. I thought we did our homework by coming up and finding good areas to hunt, but this It’s really hot and the bulls don’t seem to be responding much. I thought on the limited entry hunt we would have an easier time locating the bulls, but this is tough. Can anyone offer me any pointers on what maybe we should be doing or maybe an area to go to. I don't know all the names of the areas but we’ve been on the current creek side, and all over the top of mud creek. I have seen a couple small bulls, but I’d like to try and get a 6 point if I can. I’m worried it ill be a long time before I can get another tag and would like to have a successful hunt. Thank you for any pointers you can give me.

Mason

So, you saw some small bulls. A successful hunt starts with what you are doing young man. Hiking around and figuring it out makes for successful times.

Elk hunting is not easy, really.

And expecting a big 6 point to walk up the road to you and present, and make your hunt 'successful', well, not likely happenin'.
Not responding much means you are calling?, and maybe not the best at it? Are you using cow calls?
Guess bucksnducks has some info for ya. Good luck

So, you saw some small bulls. A successful hunt starts with what you are doing young man. Hiking around and figuring it out makes for successful times.

Elk hunting is not easy, really.

And expecting a big 6 point to walk up the road to you and present, and make your hunt 'successful', well, not likely happenin'.
Not responding much means you are calling?, and maybe not the best at it? Are you using cow calls?
Guess bucksnducks has some info for ya. Good luck
I’ve elk hunted with family before but I’m young and still learning. I’m not expecting one to walk out on the road in front of me. We’re hiking between 6 and 8 miles a day and the best we’ve seen is a 5 x 5 so I was hoping to get some pointers from people. I’m not asking for someone to guide me in to a monster, just some friendly advice. Yeah I can bugle and cow call pretty decent, but I’m no pro, just a kid. We’re seeing elk and working hard they just seem to go silent after the early morning hunt and I’m kind of at a loss of what type of area to look for them in the late morning/ afternoon. Since it’s so warm we thought up high and in the pines where it’s cool, or at water supplies, or wallows, but not any luck. It looks like they’ve been in those areas recent but I’m not seeing them or getting replies to bugles or mewes.

Stay positive is number one on the list. Hunting is both physically and mentally draining especially the fact that tags are so hard to come by.
The heat has them quiet during the day, making it rough. Take a drive after dark and call ridges and canyons listening for responses. Once you find them, concentrate your efforts there come light.
Keep moving until you find vocal bulls, dont waste your time in an area if they aren't responding unless you know they are there. Glass distant canyons, not only looking for bulls but cows also, you'll find the bulls with the cows now.

Thank you everyone for the helps and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I’ll post a pic when I tag out.

Hang in there Mason,
Most guys assume that getting the tag insures a bull comes with it. Not so, and you are right. It will be a long time before you get another Utah LE tag, so do everything you can to make the best of it. But have fun and let the chips fall where they may. I cense you will find your bull if you stick with it.

Best advice I can give you is if you’re hunting that hard and finding elk then you’re doing it right.
If you’re only finding small bulls I would suggest you move canyons. This time of year the bulls are not always screaming and smaller bulls are often running with the cows but as soon as cows start going into estrus the big boys will take the herd.
You either need to try some new spots for a day or two or stick with those cows, the bigger bulls will soon show if they are there.

I really appreciate the advice and people getting ahold of me willing to help out. We’ve made a couple changes are having better results. That and the weather changes have me feeling a lot better about things. I was pretty frustrated the other day, but I’m hoping for the best and working hard. Will post pics once we get my bull.

I know nothing about the Wasatch so no help thear, but Mason you are working hard and a pretty good additude (for an inpatient 17 year old) keep it up good things come too those that stay positive.

Here’s my update. I tagged out last night!! We stuck to our “guns” and did what we knew and kept working hard. We finally got in on this stud up top where we had been but dropped into a more remote location, and I was able to put him down from about 150 yards. We cow cowed and bugled to bring him in. We had chased him and about 20 cows and a spike and two point up from the bottom the night before, and went back in for him last night. I am so excited!!! Thank you everyone who offered help and encouragement.

7281D258-D345-4F4B-A239-4C327002765A.jpeg

DB02CF6C-EC8D-4BF0-AD38-9577B36D592C.jpeg

Awesome. Way to keep after it. You put in the work and I'm sure learned alot about elk hunting. It all paid off. Congrats. And yes that is a great bull. Thanks for taking us along and posting this as it unfolded.

Yes! So glad you got it done! I’ve been following this thread waiting for pics! Damn nice bull anywhere, but especially for that unit!

Definitely an upper echelon bull for the Wasatch - congrats! Way to keep after it and get it done. I am sure elk hunting is thick in your blood now!!

The smile on your face says it all! And you will appreciate and enjoy this so much more because you earned it thru hard work rather than blindly stumbling across one on first day.
Congratulations.

Congrats young man! your persistence paid off, lots of times its the matter of grinding it out, which it appears you did. As said, a thanks to the guys who were willing to help you out, and thanks for the follow up.
Mike

This is what makes this sight so cool, congrats and thanks for letting everyone know how you did, too many people ask for advice and disappear, stick around there is some fun stuff here

Congratulations Mason, that is a stud!
We are up by strawberry right now pre gaming for Monday's muzzleloader bull.
Hope we find one that good!

Man, 17 and already drew an early rifle LE tag!

Then you tagged out on a stud!

You may want to take those odds to Vegas!

Congrats on the Kickstart to your elk hunting career!

That’s a dandy bull!

Here’s my update. I tagged out last night!! We stuck to our “guns” and did what we knew and kept working hard. We finally got in on this stud up top where we had been but dropped into a more remote location, and I was able to put him down from about 150 yards. We cow cowed and bugled to bring him in. We had chased him and about 20 cows and a spike and two point up from the bottom the night before, and went back in for him last night. I am so excited!!! Thank you everyone who offered help and encouragement.

View attachment 13121

View attachment 13122
Way to Go Mason wow what a bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom