Need some advice on Unit 53 cow elk

mozey

Long Time Member
I'm going to be helping a couple huntresses on their cow elk hunt in 53 in a couple weeks. One is my former employee on her first hunt ever of any kind, and the other is a close friend who is 1 for 1 on her only cow elk hunt.

I don't know 53 very well, so I drove several areas of it today and got out and hiked around some. I saw lots of old sign, but nothing that made me think elk are in those particular places now. I have one more weekend to scout. For those that know 53 well, would you recommend taking them into the wilderness areas?

Much thanks.

I have hunted deer in 53. With the weather this year elk are not going to be down low. I would think you are going to have to go in a ways to find them.

mozey getting into the wilderness is easy... getting an Elk out is another story. There are large herds on Ute and Guadalupe Mts. They come down at night to feed then back up at first light.
Jack

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom