Need to modify harvest report

Trad Bow 1979

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-18 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]I am a bow hunter and I feel really frustrated at some of my fellow archers. We all make mistakes but some people are too negligent, or careless to be out hunting. I heard from a friend that knows a guy that wounded 4 elk on his archery hunt. A buddy of mine told me he shot at a cow and made no real effort to find her cause she ran off and he assumed he missed just to find her the next day. The current harvest report only asks if you hunted and if you were successful. Both these ass clowns will put that they were unsuccessful on their report, but in reality they probably killed 3-5 elk. It needs to ask if you failed to recover an animal. The current report is not acurately accounting for many animals being killed. Am I right or am I just being pissy cause so many hunters aren't being responsible, good stewards of our resources, and causing unnecessary suffering?

I do not believe there needs to be a change to the harvest report. Most people, who are ethical, attempt to recover an animal that they know, or believe, they have wounded. I dont have any realistic ways to solve this problem, as the issue is with laziness or carelessness. These people do need to be reported for wanton waste though.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

That pisses me off as well. Un-ethical hunters right there.

I think they need to allow input after you select on a scale of 1 - 5 how the hunt was. Game and Fish always wants input well that's the best place to get it. Right after the hunt.

I had a great hunt because I hunted but the amount of hunters in the field was crazy due to the fact that there are 2 hunts instead of 3. We had family campers because of the holiday which is understandable but we had elk hunters, deer hunters, turkey hunters, bear hunters, and even squirrel hunters in the field. The elk were pushed all over the place.

I never seen anything wrong with the 3 hunts in the past.

My 2 cents

I agree the waste described is real problem and not uncommon. Wanton waste should be reported. I've reported it before and certainly felt better for doing my part, even if the LEO didn't pursue the issue.

I think, however, that any knucklehead that would have more than one "unrecovered" would probably also report zero "unrecovered", if they report at all. Reference the huge fraction of prisoners that claim to be innocent.

There is enough slack/variability (biological and political) in the process of determining the number of tags available, that even with a bunch of unreported or falsely reported kills, the quota still usually works out ok.

>I agree the waste described is
>real problem and not uncommon.
>Wanton waste should be reported.
>I've reported it before and
>certainly felt better for doing
>my part, even if the
>LEO didn't pursue the issue.
>
>
>I think, however, that any knucklehead
>that would have more than
>one "unrecovered" would probably also
>report zero "unrecovered", if they
>report at all. Reference the
>huge fraction of prisoners that
>claim to be innocent.
>
>There is enough slack/variability (biological and
>political) in the process of
>determining the number of tags
>available, that even with a
>bunch of unreported or falsely
>reported kills, the quota still
>usually works out ok.

Yea I know your right, I'm sure this is not breaking news to anyone. I know some states require a separate hunter safety for archery. I'm not against that.

It sure is an issue that I can't figure how to resolve.
Here's one along the same lines. Seeing hunters 12-15 miles in the back country on foot with no pack out service! Every year finding elk with one back quarter ,back straps and the head gone. Wth is wrong with people?

Ya people are stupid. In way too far. Don?t care if it looked like they missed something. Don?t try to recover or only take part of the meat. My pack out was a mile on a spike and it was pretty damn rough. People get in over their heads and that's not right to the game.

So what's worse: leaving parts in the hills or making an absolute mess of it getting it in only to throw away alot of it? What about not taking caring of it properly and it spoiling? Waste is waste...

Can't control irresponsibility.

Been one of my pet peeves for years, I have nothing against bow hunters... But the phrase that makes my blood boil is "That's Bow Hunting" I hear this all the time when they are talking about a un recovered animal. All guides I know especially on private land the rule is... if you stick a bull your hunt is OVER ! whether you find it or not. I know of people that have "Stuck" 3 or 4 Bulls in a season and never found any of them. Don't know what the solution is. And there a allot of bow hunters that quit when they stick a bull its not everyone so don't pile on me.
Jack

Plenty of rifle hunters wound elk as well. It? sucks no matter what weapon they are wounded with. I'm not saying as many are wounded with high power but this thread is irritating. If you're not one of these guys I'm about to explain, don't get your feelings hurt over what I am about to say.

I think ?some? high power hunters crap on Archery hunters because we get the better hunt dates. It absolutely should be this way. I know killing distance is different for everyone but it's much much harder to get it done with Archery gear. I have a pretty high success rate with a bow but I guarantee you put me out there with a rifle (even during the later dates) and I'm going to have a even higher success rate.

Rifle hunting is easier, plain and simple. I don't hunt for higher success odds though. I hunt with Archery gear because there something extra special about standing over a downed animal with a bow. If you have never done it, you wouldn't understand.

>It sure is an issue that
>I can't figure how to
>resolve.
>Here's one along the same lines.
>Seeing hunters 12-15 miles in
>the back country on foot
>with no pack out service!
>Every year finding elk with
>one back quarter ,back straps
>and the head gone. Wth
>is wrong with people?

I see a lot of that too.

You will never fix the stupid people problem, they have always been around and always will. Fortunately most hunters are good ethical folks.

Police our own is the best we can do,

As for harvest survey you don't know what lives or dies that info isn't valid. Elk herds are doing good everywhere in the state except in 9 so it isn't too big of a number.

Personally, I believe for both rifle and archery hunters, figuring out if the hit is a non-lethal or lethal hit is a big deal. Of course you want to chase the same animal and try to get another arrow/bullet in them but if the hit is not lethal it is much less of an issue if the animal does find a way to escape. My younger brother killed a buck a few years back that had a buddies broadhead in it from the previous year. Same area and similar antler structure compared to the year before. That buck was hit in the shoulder blade and the broadhead worked it's way out and just stuck in the meat under the skin. So if you can confirm non-lethal vs lethal. That is a huge huge deal. However, theres definitely something to be said for people who shoot multiple animals without finding them. I have wounded animals with archery equipment. I am not pretending to be a saint, and I know one of them probably became coyote food but I also did everything I could to recover that buck. That's the difference, people that don't do that and just go to the next one rather than pursuing the animal are making it difficult for other hunters and our reputations.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-18 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]I know of two lost elk during the bow hunts. lots of wasted meat. if the g&f was smart they'd multiply the number of kills by at least 2 to be accurate. just cause you can take an 80 yard shot doesn't mean you should.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom