Nelson (Desert) Bighorn Sheep

kilowatt

Has anyone hunted for this bighorn sheep in So. Calif.?
I looked back through the archives here but see nothing on here about hunting them in the Kelso Peak-Old Dad Mountains. I would like to talk with anyone who has done this hunt in the past.
Contact me by inbox mail or e-mail to keep it more personal.

Brian

Reads like we will start getting points now in Calf. on our Ram applications. I'm going back and forth on 501 or 502 to apply for. Check out some past Ram harvests at this site, it is free

www.bighornoutfitter.com

See ya at orientation!! haha

Last year's point counts this year. They allocate 75% of the sheep tags to the top pool, but for hunts with less than 4 tags, one tag is for sure random draw, so points do not matter for one tag units. Once one nonresident draws a sheep tag, all the rest of the nonresidents are out. If I were a nonresident, I would not buy the nonresident hunting license just to apply in CA. Draw odds are terrible on sheep and you can not even apply for elk. The ID license really bothers me, but draw odds on sheep are orders of maginitude better, for about the same price.

The main reason I do the 'points' and buy the license, way cheap in comparison to the tag fee, is IF they allocate 2 tags in the future.

I agree with ya on Idaho, but with the 'cash' up front it makes a tremendous difference vs states with credit card odds!!

I've been told by some buds in Calif. that the anti-hunter groups really put on a show at guys camps that draw the Ram tags. With all the road closures, the anti's know fairly well where the hunters will be and where they can camp. I've already made plans that if I ever draw the tag, my buds will meet me and after Iget my packstring all ready to go, my buds will take my truck and llamatrlr out to thier home and I'll cell/call them when I harvest. Coming back to a truck and trlr with 8 flat tires isn't a good thought to have while your hunting!!

Really, I do not think that the anti's messing with your truck is as bad as it was the first year or two. The hunting season was made longer, and they did send some to jail. You never know, but I would not worry too much about it. As far as the packstring goes, remember that water in the desert is a problem. They and you will be drinking what you carry with you. The zone they would really help you on, the San Gorgonios, has been closed.
And, yes, I guess $115.45 per year for a 500:1 (or worse) shot seems high, but if you hit.......I buy one raffle ticket for evert desert tag offered, and those odds are worse. Seriously, call the guy on the website you listed, he would know a lot more about it than me.
I wish CA would do cash up front two. It is not going to happen. CO is going to the CC next year, and evveryone else is not too far behind.

Tim is a great guy and he gets some huge Rams for his clients. He is a real honest guy and he knows I do most all my hunts solo but if he tells me something I certainly listen. Like my Az. Desert appl. choice for this year......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom