Nelson vs Rocky Mtn Bighorn

MuskegMan

Sure got thrown for a loop when doing my NV online app here at lunchtime.

Seems they switched from Rocky Mountain Bighorn to Nelson Bighorn. I thought I'd lost my Rocky points at first.

Whey did they do this? A truely unique bighorn subspecies?

This year for non-residents no ROCKY's.

Brian
2yy7c76.jpg

I am talking about N/R.

Here's what I know.

Last year, at the end of the draw, I had:

2 NR Rocky Mtn Bighorn point, and
2 NR Cali Bighorn point

This year going into the draw, I had:

2 NR Nelson Bighorn points, and
2 NR Cali Bighorn points.

So, it appears they switch my Rocky Mtn points to Nelson points.

I'm still confused as to why this happened.

I just checked my totals, and the Rocky points are correct.

If I were you I'd feel like NDOW gave me a gift and continue applying for the Desert Sheep (Nelsoni subspecies). The sad fact is Nevada probably won't have a non-resident Rocky hunt for at least a decade.

BECAUSE ALL THE ROCKYS ARE EITHER DEAD OR DYING. PROBABLY WONT BE ANY TAGS THIS YEAR SO THEY PROB JUST SWITCHED IT OVER TO THE OTHER SPECIES OF SHEEP. HUGE PNEUMONIA OUTBREAK KILLED ALMOST EVERY ROCKY THERE WAS

I'd love to have my rocky points transfer to nelson...still showing 14 and 5....Oh well, maybe they made a mistake, I wouldn't bring it to their attention...:)

That's a mistake/gift from NDOW. There are no non-resident rocky hunts this year. However, my understanding is that they will let non-residents keep their bonus points until a non-res hunt is reinstated which is good, because I have 10 NR Rocky points. Hopefully, it's not ten years until it's brought back. If they want to add those 10 points to the 4 I have for deserts to give me 14 for desert, I would be all for that!

I can't wait another 10 years and then continue putting in at my age. Guess I will be one of the losers in this game.

Brian
2yy7c76.jpg

10 NR rocky points??...how did you accomplish that ??

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

He was accumulating points as a resident and then when he moved out of state he transferred them. NDOW lets you do that. My kid has a bunch of NR rocky points too. He also has desert and California points that followed him.

The real losers here are the sheep. They get that damn pneumonia from Domestic sheep. I guess the locals just don't get any respect. I also lost all 6 points for Rocky's. But then again, give em 10 years and hope they rebound.

Yep, transfered all my points from resident to non-resident when I moved out of NV. Since then I have drawn an Antelope, Elk, and a couple Mule Deer tags. Got a bunch of points for Goat and Rocky. I think me and one other person have the max for non-res Goat........come on goat tag......come on! Still about as probable as winning the lottery.

Just so that you know htnfool these sheep that have been infected with the pneumonia outbreak have not been any where close to domestic sheep, they haven't allowed the domestics to be permitted in these areas for years now, so they are getting the outbreak from somewhere other than that. I think that they can get it from other live stock and possibly other wildlife species they are in close proximity with, all it takes is a little stress and the disease to be sitting dormant for the wild sheep to become infected. Just sucks that their immune systems are so weak, makes me wish that the NDOW would either allow people to drop salt licks or would drop salt licks themselves for those animals on the winter range, where they lack sufficient selinium levels in the soil and lack natural salt licks. Most soils in Nevada winter ranges lack sufficient salt in my experiences and studies.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]What is the MAX points for a NR to have for sheep outside of the Rocky Mtn species?? And never having been a resident of NV.

Brian

xvvgp.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p] 18 is max I believe, and desert points are the only one nonres could have that many on, I have 18 nonresident california points but thats because I was a resident of NV. anyway thats when the current point system started.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 08:44PM (MST)[p]Brian 5 points is the max a NR could have if he was never a resident for rocky.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom