Nevada 021 late rifle surprise

I love the FCFS system even with its quirk's..Good luck to you, the next storm system on the 15th is looking even more promising then this one, quality is down statewide but I'm sure there is still some toads running around. Let it snow ?

Let it snow indeed! I decided to upgrade my transportation, expecting super cold temps..picked up a new Polaris Ranger with a cab and heater! Gonna sell the old Browning Edition..it's served me and my family well! I have no expectations, knowing that mule deer hunting is slumping everywhere.. I'll be happy to get to glass up some more deer this year and with any luck I might find a decent buck. I have been lucky to hunt every year somewhere that offers a chance at a good one. This is probably THE BEST chance I'll have for a trophy for a while. And while I'm at it, Merry Christmas from the Nevada deer country!

Good luck. I picked up a late Spike tag a couple weeks ago FCFS in Northeast Nevada. 072-074. Been out twice and haven’t found one elk. Been tough, but it’s still something. Try again this weekend. Maybe snow will help find some sign.

021 is a good tag, the deer are moving in from CA. Talked to a guy that has property near the CA border north of cold springs. He said there are big bucks up there daily.

Good luck. I picked up a late Spike tag a couple weeks ago FCFS in Northeast Nevada. 072-074. Been out twice and haven’t found one elk. Been tough, but it’s still something. Try again this weekend. Maybe snow will help find some sign.

I picked up a FCFS spike tag for the 072-074 10/1-10/20 hunt. Didn't get on elk until the last day and no spikes in the heard we found. Spike tag is probably one of the hardest hunts in NV. We found Elk up above the 76 Creek trail. Good luck!

here is 21 buck from a couple weeks ago sorry for bad pic

IMG_1974.jpg

have you tried in 073?, there is almost always a herd of elk around the south end of stag mtn, and all around there in that lower stuff. they may not be in the lower stuff without snow though, also on the west side of mary's river there is some country that goes and then borders the deeth-charleston rd. ive seen elk in there, when does your season end? good snow coming on the 15th it looks like.

Last edited:
Season ends January 1. First day out I checked the West side of Mary’s over by Hanks Creek and seen nothing but wasn’t there long. Probably go back at some point. I’m hearing elk aren’t where they’ve normally been. A buddy that knows Stag and 073 had some friends with a late Bull that seen 0 elk in that country but it’s been a few weeks. Couple storms can change things. Going up today to check out Browns Bench area up by the border. Been fun getting out and learning new country. Good luck in 081. Brothers heading there now for late cow. 076-081.

I picked up a FCFS spike tag for the 072-074 10/1-10/20 hunt. Didn't get on elk until the last day and no spikes in the heard we found. Spike tag is probably one of the hardest hunts in NV. We found Elk up above the 76 Creek trail. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. It can be tough for sure. I’m 2/2 on spikes in NV so maybe I’m due for a lesson. Lol. Went up by Pole Creek up high last weekend thinking maybe they were still on edge of wilderness. Didn’t see a single elk. Awesome country though. It was fun. I’ve seen some nice bucks the last couple times out.

Season ends January 1. First day out I checked the West side of Mary’s over by Hanks Creek and seen nothing but wasn’t there long. Probably go back at some point. I’m hearing elk aren’t where they’ve normally been. A buddy that knows Stag and 073 had some friends with a late Bull that seen 0 elk in that country but it’s been a few weeks. Couple storms can change things. Going up today to check out Browns Bench area up by the border. Been fun getting out and learning new country. Good luck in 081. Brothers heading there now for late cow. 076-081.
you'll find em, late season elk is tough as we all know.. just need a good storm to come through, this one was not very strong. thanks for the well wishes. 081 has been really tough this year.

Thanks for the reply. It can be tough for sure. I’m 2/2 on spikes in NV so maybe I’m due for a lesson. Lol. Went up by Pole Creek up high last weekend thinking maybe they were still on edge of wilderness. Didn’t see a single elk. Awesome country though. It was fun. I’ve seen some nice bucks the last couple times out.
That's awesome, I hope to get another spike tag. Its a fun but frustrating hunt at the same time. We hunted pole creek for 2 days as well and didn't see any elk either. Ended up on the east side of 74, lots of antelope there. then went to 76 creek in 73 and were on Elk that morning, no spikes though.

Hello Calbuck. I also had the 021 tag this year. Perhaps you have tagged out, or perhaps you have already seen for yourself, but if not, the deep snow has pushed the deer out into the desert. Check the west side of the Dogskins. My son and I took the buck below there on 12/29. You will be hiking in a foot or more of snow, but the deer are stacked in there pretty thick.

IMG_6092.jpeg

Hello Calbuck. I also had the 021 tag this year. Perhaps you have tagged out, or perhaps you have already seen for yourself, but if not, the deep snow has pushed the deer out into the desert. Check the west side of the Dogskins. My son and I took the buck below there on 12/29. You will be hiking in a foot or more of snow, but the deer are stacked in there pretty thick.

View attachment 63745
Nice lookin buck! I haven't been able to get back over there to hunt. I jumped a good buck in the lower country on my last morning in there. At that time, there were very few in the sage country that I could find. Unfortunately I don't think I'll get to hunt any more this season. Good job you two!

View attachment 63745
Congrats on the buck....he looks pretty heavy. I heard there's been a bit of snow.....LOTS of snow.

Congrats on the buck....he looks pretty heavy. I heard there's been a bit of snow.....LOTS of snow.
Thank you. And yes, there was too much snow to hunt much of the Pedersens, for sure. There were wider, taller, and more massive bucks out there, but I couldn't catch up with them. In any event, this one had an extra point and was stupid enough to stand there wondering what all the commotion was about while does and smaller bucks packed their bags, so...

Last edited:
Thank you. And yes, there was too much snow to hunt much of the Pedersens, for sure. There were wider, taller, and more massive bucks out there, but I couldn't catch up with them. In any event, this one had an extra point and was stupid enough to stand there wondering what all the commotion was about while does and smaller bucks packed their bags, so...
Congrats on a cool buck !

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom