Nevada 121 DEPREDATION Elk

NVHNTR23

Just got one of the First come, First served left over tags, 121 cow elk Depred. Looking at the hunt stats from last year 9 people out of 23 harvested. i know this is a hail Mary, but anybody have any info at all?? from what i can tell you can only hunt anywhere but the mountains, on the East side of the unit, so.. desert. were going hunting and making memories either way so im looking forward regardless. the last resort will be calling the biologist, thanks if you have anything.

Forgot to mention the season is
Aug 1 - Aug 31st
I've got the same tag except 3rd hunt which is October 1st to January 5th. I've hunted the Ruby's probably 15+ years ago for the late buck hunt but have never draw an Elk tag cow or bull. I've talked to a couple of game wardens and according to them at that time of the year the depending on temperature and snow fall they should be down in the flats and the north east area of 121 should produce good results so I guess we'll see. Heading up there with my kids this Saturday for a scouting expedition. Still don't understand why hunts 1 and 2 are only two weeks and the 3rd hunt being 3 months.
Oh so we're you successful in harvesting your animal? I know season ends today. Post pictures, I'd love to see them.

I've got the same tag except 3rd hunt which is October 1st to January 5th. I've hunted the Ruby's probably 15+ years ago for the late buck hunt but have never draw an Elk tag cow or bull. I've talked to a couple of game wardens and according to them at that time of the year the depending on temperature and snow fall they should be down in the flats and the north east area of 121 should produce good results so I guess we'll see. Heading up there with my kids this Saturday for a scouting expedition. Still don't understand why hunts 1 and 2 are only two weeks and the 3rd hunt being 3 months.
Oh so we're you successful in harvesting your animal? I know season ends today. Post pictures, I'd love to see them.
i will send you a PM. we found big herds, over 200 Head. im not sure if they will be there come October but my bet is they most likely will, they were rutting up a storm.

Last edited:
i will send you a PM. we found big herds, over 200 Head. im not sure if they will be there come October but my bet is they most likely will, they were rutting up a storm.
I just drew the same tag you had last year. They said there are low elk numbers in the area and poor hunter success is expected, but it sounds like you saw a lot of animals. Any information you'd be willing to share?

I live in this unit. Its tough there use to be elk in this little sliver of the unit that your alowed to hunt. Your best bet is gonna be looking over by the intersection with 93 and the road to cherry creek sometimes the elk feed down across the freeway from 111 i to 121 but sun up they will be crossing right back across the freeway kinda gotta catch them in the transition. Alot of elk congregate over by the mckay ranch but very seldom do they cross the road into the part your allowed too hunt with the depredation tag.

Last edited:
I live in this unit. Its tough there use to be elk in this little sliver of the unit that your alowed to hunt. Your best bet is gonna be looking over by the intersection with 93 and the road to cherry creek sometimes the elk feed down across the freeway from 111 i to 121 but sun up they will be crossing right back across the freeway kinda gotta catch them in the transition. Alot of elk congregate over by the mckay ranch but very seldom do they cross the road into the part your allowed too hunt with the depredation tag.
Thanks! Sounds like the move would be to try ambushing them on their way back to cover, which could be tricky depending on how they decide to move back.

I see that the unit also includes mountains in the cherry creek range. Are there any herds up there that are likely to be up and about during the day in August? If so, is that terrain glassable at all?

I am assisting a disabled vet with this same hunt. He is a NV resident and I will be coming from CO. I am doing most of the research trying to put him on the best opportunity. He does have a SXS to get around on, but walking will be limited. I may purchase some netting to put around the SXS when glassing or setting up for an encounter. I will keep an eye on this post for future updates.

BTW, I'm a new guy to the site. I have read some great information from you guys and really appreciate it. I also posted this on another thread regarding this same hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom