Nevada antelope down!

dillon

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-15 AT 09:28PM (MST)[p]I decided to leave home on Thursday for my Nevada pronghorn antelope hunt. I was accompanied by my brother-in-law who had never been hunting and my four year old daughter. On Thursday evening we saw three bucks on my unit. We named the biggest buck M1. Friday we covered just shy of 300 miles looking for antelope. The vast majority of the antelope were located near our camp. We did find one monster buck that we named M2 on the ET Highway just west of Rachel, but he was on the wrong side of the highway and was the only antelope we saw that low on the unit.

Opening day we decided to go about five miles north of our camp and try to find M1. We left camp when it was legal to hunt and drove for about 10 minutes before we saw two antelope cross the dirt road on a dead sprint. Guess who it was? M1! He was making a dust trail straight out through an open flat. I got setup on my bipod, took a shot, and missed. He slowed down and I was able to take a second shot as he switched directions about 300 yards away. M1 was down! Unfortunately, I did shoot him in the butt and we didn't get the kill shot on video. I did get some good footage from the scouting portion of the hunt and after the shot.

This was my first antelope hunt and my first antelope. His horns are 14 1/2 and 15 inches long, he has 6 inch bases, and 5 inch prongs. I rough scored him at 78 inches. I am going to do a European mount. I will post photos on my HAC thread in a few days (http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID60/10.html#.VdqM_fZViko).

Special thanks to Wiszard. Without his maps and advice I would still be lost.

Very well done clip, really nice buck, and the inclusion and inputs from your daughter were priceless! congrats!!

Was that buck that was dumping, was he in your unit? I guess him 80+.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

sageadvice,

The big buck taking a dump crossed onto our unit but he crossed right back onto another unit after he marked his territory. If mine went 78 he would have easily been 80. He was the only antelope we saw on the south end of my unit. I decided to try to find the buck I shot and if we struck out on him to go south and look for the bigger buck. I doubt we would have seen that bigger buck again.

Dillon

Thanks Dillon, Thanks! Sounds like you did it right. Yeah, that other buck had that once in a lifetime look to him but you got a heck of a buck. I really like how the horns turn and point back down at his head. Dandy!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Dillon, great speedgoat. If that was your first antelope, you are going to have work your butt off to surpass it in the future. Your daughter was priceless, you may have a hunting partner being developed in that youngster.

RELH

Great video man! I have a tag for Wyoming in 3 weeks, and hope to have the same experience you did. Great job.

}}-SLIVER-->

That was great! You got some great footage and took a nice animal. Also, that was pretty dang funny when your daughter spilled the beans on the shot placement complication. That's awesome you took her with you. I have 9 non-resident antelope points, hopefully I draw one of these years.

Dax

Nice goat. Great looking curl to his horns. You should consider maybe a shoulder mount to memorialize the hunt. Done by a good taxidermist, pronghorns are a very cool looking mount.

Your daughter definitely spilled the beans about your shot LOL!!

I'm glad your hunt was successful. You found a lot more goats than I did so it was more than just my maps that got you to your goal. Congrats and that is so awesome that your daughter got to share it with you. Pm me if you need my address.

So, in 5 years when you're able to apply again, will you put in for the same unit?

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom