Nevada area 6 mule deer

Backcountry41

Hello, was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of where to hunt this year area 6 nevada, its a junior tag and he can hunt archery,muzzy,and rifle.
I know theres been some fires in the recent years and i dont know what's burned and what isnt. So any help at all is appreciated.

Also have antelope in 078,105,107,121 muzzy. Any clue where to start there?

Last edited:
I will be happy to point you in the right direction.
If you’re coming from California go east.
If you’re from coming from Utah go west.
What made you apply for those tags in the first place if you don’t know what direction to go?

Yes I know exactly where I would hunt if I had drawn area 6, since I've put my boots on the ground there many, many times, even though I have yet to draw a deer tag there.

I will be happy to point you in the right direction.
If you’re coming from California go east.
If you’re from coming from Utah go west.
What made you apply for those tags in the first place if you don’t know what direction to go?
I’m sorry that was not very nice of me to say those things. I’m just frustrated because no one in my family was successful in the Nevada draw this year.
I realize that you are a resident since you have a Junior tag holder.
Take your kid to the Maggie Summit area and scout around and you’ll find some deer. You may also want to check out the Merit mountain area that’s another good area.
Sorry I can’t help you much on your lope tag but if you drive the valleys, look for water and glass a lot you should find some.
Wish you the best of luck

I’m sorry that was not very nice of me to say those things. I’m just frustrated because no one in my family was successful in the Nevada draw this year.
Take your kid to the Maggie Summit area and scout around and you’ll find some deer. You may also want to check out the Merit mountain area that’s another good area.
Sorry I can’t help you much on your lope tag but if you drive the valleys, look for water and glass a lot you should find some.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry you didnt draw anything better luck next time. I was already looking at merrit mtn because it looked pretty good so i guess we will give that a shot. Seems like alot of people got skunked in nevada this year?.

Also sorry if i sounded stupid asking where to hunt, ive never hunted 6 and just wanted to see if the recent fires changed anything on where i should go.

Look up the information sheets on NDOW.

Antelope? Find water and/or hay. High to low and open and you will find antelope.

You just need to put gas in your truck, and go scout. The areas are large, but you will soon find what is and what is not available. Each area can be scouted pretty well over a couple weekends each. Caution for this weekend, as we have gotten a lot of water the last few days and the roads are going to be bad for a few days as well. Wait until it dries some.

I've hunted there a couple of times. Great country. Maggie Summit can be good. Don't overlook some of that burnt country back to the west. It's pretty open, but can hold a good buck or two. Lie most places, get away from the roads. You don't have to be that far from the road, even a half mile makes a difference. And season matters. The deer come down if it gets alter in the year.

Best of luck and hope you stack up a big one.

Area 6 can be a real hit or miss. I’m no expert, but that’s the experience my son had several years ago when he had the tag two years running. He hunted all over that area, the Kelly creek area, Merrit Mtn., the Independence range and the Beowawe area. We had a hard time finding any decent bucks and one day where we saw several, a couple days later we couldn’t find one in the same spot. All the stories we heard were, the later the better and you should have been here last year. Where are all the bucks etc. Sorry if I’m sounding like a downer, and I hope this year is completely different. The one place we didn’t give it a few days of hard hunting was the Independence range so that might be a good place to put some effort into. Hope your son finds a big one.

Would it have made a difference if he as a Non-resident that drew a tag you and your family was not eligible to draw?

Just asking.

went scouting a couple times these past few weeks, covered pretty much all of the merit mtn area east of it north of it etc, all we seen was 6 bull elk and about 20 does and two small forky bucks, and the usual 70 antelope or so, these last 2 days we checked out the area around winter ridge north of merit mtn in 061, seen lots of sign but no deer, has anybody hunted that area during archery? it looks promising. we covered a lot of country that looked good and im surprised we didn't see more bucks or deer for that matter.

also checked out around maggie summit, it was very dry and very little to no water in creeks at times, the area around merit mtn seemed much more green and wet, didnt see any deer near maggie summit. glassed and glassed and there was nothing it looked like a wasteland, at this point im not sure where to check out next?, i know were just gonna have to put on some more miles, but where to next?

Last edited:
This time of the year it gets light really early. You need to be in the high country and in position to Glass at 5 AM. You will see bucks on the east facing slopes between 5 AM and 6 AM and after that they are gone to bed. If you’re seeing does you’re probably not in exactly the right spot for the bucks. The does have just dropped their fawns and they are scattered out typically in a little bit lower elevation than where the bucks are.
You may occasionally see some bucks in the evening but usually the light isn’t good enough to see them at long-distance. In my experience I have better luck at first light when the sun just begins to hit on the hills. When the sunshine first hits the bucks it kind of lights them up and you can see them at a very long distance but only for a short period of time in the morning. They will be finishing up their feeding and heading to their beds quickly.
You really should have high-quality binoculars and spotting scope. That is really big country and you will need to be looking at long distances of a mile or even more to cover it good.
There are bucks there you just need to be persistent and work hard. It takes practice but you will learn how to find them eventually. Sometimes a regular pick up may not get you where you need to be it’s possible that an ATV will help get you into that high country easier and cover more ground. If you’re out there in the prime time of the early morning and you don’t see anything glassing in about 15 minutes you should move to another spot And try to see a little bit different country.

Last edited:
Keep looking, area 6 has a lot of deer and can be found in surprising areas like small independent knobs, low country, etc. Mountain Mahogany that has water within a 1/2 mile is always a great place to spend some time looking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom