Nevada Chukar Forecast

kalielkslayer

According to the forecast, bird populations are down slightly to moderately across the state with exception of a couple of areas.

But due to the abundance of water this year the birds may be more spread out, resulting in lower sightings during the survey.

I'm optimistic. Most wet winter/springs result in better hatches, or better hatch survival. But last winter brought an abundance of snow which may have resulted in winter mortality.

We'll see after next weekend. I've always found that I'm a pretty good judge of the hatch after 4-5 hunts and by the 21st, I'll have at least 5 hunts under my belt and get back to you.

The state reported about the same here in Utah....I have been out several times this year so far & I am seeing plenty of birds.
I don't buy into the Helicopter survey BS.....I am seeing a lot of young birds!!

64365img0807.jpg

Lots of young birds.

I'm down in So/Cntrl NV. It seems to me the chukar populations are a little down from last year...or they are spread out a little more? Birds are definitely exacting their revenge this year, as compared to last year. }>

Being a newbie (2nd year) to chukar hunting, do they form larger groups as the winter progresses or stay in their family coveys (or whatever) throughout the season. If anything, I'm definitely getting some good conditioning in and discovering new areas this year. :)

Last winter devastated the Oregon chucker. the Snake river populations are the worst I've ever seen. he Juntura area is down even worse. along the Nevada border is better but the word is out and it's getting hit by all the displaced hunters.

I've quit hunting for the year, not only does the hunting suck but what birds are alive need to stay that way if we want next year to be any better.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-18 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]I believe both.

I have found the same covey, in the same canyon, within 200 yards , in October, November, December and again in January.

I usually only hunt my best spots 2-4 times a year.

Some years I see coveys of 30-40 birds in December where there were only 2-3 coveys of 12 in October. And I've already taken 6-12 birds out of them.

I think weather causes them to congregate.

On your ?2nd year hunting them? statement. They have a pattern depending on pressure, population, etc.

It's a tough sport on thin years. But I kill way more birds than I did 30 years ago although 30 years ago I covered way more ground. They act different in October/November than they do in December/January.

I could share but the best way to learn is to do it, and think about what you learned on the drive back after the hunt.

Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-18 AT 04:29PM (MST)[p]Hey Brother,
Sorry to hear about Chuck. I just read the old thread. That truly sucks, alot like Sam going blind at 4 years. He passed last year at 13. Mike had to bury him as I was in Texas. He took it really hard. He killed his first birds over Sam.

Most folks are to pissed off to think rationally after the hunt. Just revenge, by gawd! How big a bird are ya!
Take care Brother!
Stay safe!

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

I just got a pup.

Chuck?s grandson!

I bred Chuck back to one of Ormachea?s bitches. This is her litter.

Savage lil critter.

Making a mess outta the place.

Smart as hell. Hoping he ain?t smarter than me.?

So with 3 dogs next year, I may retire a couple of months early. I want this lil guy out 20-30 times by himself.

If it's a good hatch, i?m gone.

If not. I'll fulfill my obligation to work through December.

If this winter continues to be as mild and wet as it has been, then I think you better plan an early retirement... I believe this will be my 11 year old setters retirement year as well. So we're hoping for a banner hatch...

DJ,

Did you get out much last year.

I didn't based on the commute, most Saturdays I was too tired.

But I averaged over 4.5 birds a trip, so the hunting was good.

Hunter,
I didn't get out much for Chukar, however I am still putting in 30+ miles a week in the hills.
Shiner gets into them dang near every hike in the hills behind the house. I have also seen good numbers of them just north of here.

Norkal

confidence"
"I fear none and respect all"

Also,
In regard to pulling the plug....GET THE HECK OUT OF THERE! You are burning daylight Brother. It is time you will never get back. You have given them far more than most and the people of the state did not get cheated having you as an employee/servant and have benefitted from your service.

Norkal

confidence"

Home stretch brother.

December, after 11 work days. Don?t even know what date that is.

Had my 36th Anniversary yesterday. Can?t remember doing anything else.

Good to hear you have decided end that chapter and begin the rest of the story!
Been gone for just over seven years. It's possible I may have forgotten more than I ever knew!
A lot of things don't change. I can still pick out the wolves and the sheepdogs regarless of how the cover looks, and can still count the number of those I trust on my fingers with a few left over!
When are you coming up?

Norkal

confidence"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom