Nevada Chukar Forecast

kalielkslayer

Usually this report is out by late August. There is nothing on their website for this year. Last year?s report talks about their survey helicopter crashing and future Chukar surveys may be ground surveys.

With the mild, wet winter, i?m Pretty optimistic it?ll be a great year.

With the season opener barely a month away, I was wondering what you've seen?

During my wife?s antelope hunt we didn't see any Chukar but saw lots of quail in the lower country.

Saw a group yesterday with two different age chicks. That's always a good sign.

Everything I've seen in north central nv looks like a good hatch, nothing extra ordinary...

The forecast is out. Less detail than previous years. They don't fly the helicopter anymore because it crashed. They do it on foot so they do less areas, and a smaller sample size of the areas.

Forecast is average, some winter kill in north central part of the state.

I always decide after 3-5 hunts but wet, late springs always seem to be great years.

We'll start seeing in 2 weeks.

249384b71f6ba474149fcba9b67d58f1df618.jpeg

Opener made me optimistic it's going to be a good season, at least in NW Nevada/NE Kali. Lots of young birds.

I struggled!! 2 separate covey rises without pulling a feather. One the dogs swung around and pointed. I came in on the other side of the covey. Dog and I were 35 yards apart, birds in the middle. A set-up for at least a triple. Nope, not a feather ruffled.

I figured it out after awhile and killed birds with my last 3 shots.

Sunday I took the pup out. Educational for him, but he was clueless. 1/2 a$$ pointed, 4 birds got up and I don't think he even saw/heard em. He came back, we walked in there and I killed tail end charlie. He didn't see that one get up either. But I took him in down wind of both birds and he pointed em, then retrieved them. He gets to hunt with one of the older dogs next week.

Last weekend was an 18 bird weekend so yes, the population is doing well this year.

Both females have been stellar this year. The pup is a work in progress.

Thanks for posting up Kali!

I would say our Utah chukar hatch was not great overall. We did have a hatch but it was late and not many birds. There are some decent spots but not overall. It has been super hot here with little moisture and the birds have been tied to water pretty close. I think when we get some solid snow and green up the few birds we have are going to be tougher to find.

I am glad you have found some success. I need to take a trip west and try out some spots in Nevada. Might as well having bought the license!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom