Nevada Desert Bighorn - Unit 212

GoHigher

Here is my ram that I shot in unit 212 in Nevada (late hunt). It was an amazing experience to say the least. Best of all, my brothers were able to travel down from Northern Utah to join me on this hunt. Afterall, hunting for me is all about the family tradition. We planned to hunt for several days, but the first morning out we spotted this guy and I just couldn't pass him up.

I owe a huge thanks to Dogdoc for being willing to share some wisdom with me about this unit and his experience hunting this same hunt in 2013 where he shot the largest ram to date on this unit. For what it is worth, I am certainly willing to pay it forward for anyone who draws this tag as well and wants some information.

My ram scored 146 5/8 and was 5 1/2 years old. I shot him at 245 yards with my .270 WInchester Model 70. Hit both lungs and he dropped in his tracks.

8169img62521.jpg

That is pretty ram. Congrads.....not really hopeful to draw a tag even with 16 points.
How many did you use?

Nice! That's some cool country down there isn't it?

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

I was a lucky SOB and only had 5 points when I drew this tag. Unit 212 is separated into an early and a late hunt. I put in for the late hunt because the draw odds were much more favorable compared to the early hunt with decent sized rams still being taken on the late hunt. You probably would see many more rams on the early hunt, however. During my late hunt, the rams were spooky after being pushed around on the early hunt. I had to put in some miles on the hike to find this guy. He was tucked up in the top of a drainage far from any roads and just yards from where the drainage tops out and dives off into a huge steep canyon.

And yes, the country was really cool...some points I felt like I was hunting on the surface of Mars with a lot of cool shaped rocks and cliffs.

I love the picture of you and your bros with your ram. I am certain there is a fine story behind a picture like that! Congratulations on achieving a hunting dream that few get to experience.
By the way...I am old and my eyes aren't so good but I see more than 5 years on that ram. Maybe it's just me.
Very nice.

Funny you should mention that...the wildlife biologist that measured him and aged him was torn between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 years old. He finally settled on 5 1/2, so who really knows?

If my Alaska guide, who has 40 years sheep hunting experience, aged him he would say 6 also. Regardless great job and I am glad to see some young hunters draw sheep tags.

two thumbs up GoHigher!

Is unit 212 ever open to non residents? I have 17 NR desert sheep points going into the 2018 draw. That is if the NDOW LICENSING DEPT and their new vendor, Kalkomey Enterprises, LLC, can get their act together before application time and accurately link ones accrued bonus points to their Nevada Sportsman's ID and the applicants new account which we all must establish via NDOW licensing and Kalkomey Enterprises, LLC in order to apply this year.

Congrats GoHigher, that is an awesome ram. 212 is holds a special place in my heart as well. I've been fortunate to be a part of 6 successful hunts in this area since 2007. It has changed a lot since then, when there were only 3 tags in the area. Those are memories you'll never forget. I still think often about my hunt in 2010. I know we all like to see rams form our area...here is mine.

79912sheep.jpg

Thanks cgmoonsky for reviving my original thread. Yes, what an amazing hunt! One I won't forget.

3tags2010, what an awesome ram!! That guy looks like he is 155-165. And yes, with more tags being given in 212 lately, its tougher to find those big boys, but I couldn't pass up the unit due to the reasonable draw odds for the experience that comes from a ram hunt.

Now the long wait for a California Bighorn tag....

Those are some good Rams guys!

I have spent some time in areas 211-213. Interesting and diverse country for sure.

These units are on my application every year.

Soon!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom