Nevada Elk Help

lostinOregon

Very Active Member
I am a long time member here who has 15 NR elk points for Nevada. I have been applying for 111-115 for years as I know a couple of folks that have had that late tag and have done very well. I will be 56 by this hunting season and even with 15 points, my odds are around 1 percent for the 111-115 tag. It seems to me that finding out any elk information in NV is tough, mostly because for NR's it is a once in a lifetime type tag. Information is scarce and I am hoping that some of you that have some experience can lead me in the direction that I might have a better chance of drawing before I am 75 and can't do it anymore. I am a rifle/muzzy hunter for the most part. I am not looking for a 400 inch bull, just a mature 320 type bull and up would do for me. It is more about the experience than score to me.

If you would rather PM that's fine, will share any information that I have in return and over the years helped many MM with information.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich hang in their, You are in reach for a GREAT hunt .Drop Me an email before making your 5 picks .... Bruce & SilverGrand

There are several units that will yield a 320 bull at better draw odds. I have only hunted two and don't have as much intel as others on this forum. NDOW has decent stats per unit on their website. That would be a great resource as well (in addition to the folks here willing to share more via PM).

I'll shoot you a pic of another dandy harvested in the unit I hunted this year. If I forget remind me , scores 367

I am a long time member here who has 15 NR elk points for Nevada. I have been applying for 111-115 for years as I know a couple of folks that have had that late tag and have done very well. I will be 56 by this hunting season and even with 15 points, my odds are around 1 percent for the 111-115 tag. It seems to me that finding out any elk information in NV is tough, mostly because for NR's it is a once in a lifetime type tag. Information is scarce and I am hoping that some of you that have some experience can lead me in the direction that I might have a better chance of drawing before I am 75 and can't do it anymore. I am a rifle/muzzy hunter for the most part. I am not looking for a 400 inch bull, just a mature 320 type bull and up would do for me. It is more about the experience than score to me.

If you would rather PM that's fine, will share any information that I have in return and over the years helped many MM with information.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich,

I feel for you. I'm at 19 pts (I'm 49 y/o) and hope to draw a NV tag eventually. I'm not a big fan of the Nov rifle hunts so at this point I'm only going after two of the best archery tags and in doing so it really limits my chances. Good luck in the draws this year.

Just keep applying, someone Has to draw those tags. I got lucky with 11 and drew my 3rd choice unit and killed a 370” bull on the late rifle hunt. It was a great hunt, and I really wish it wasn’t basically a once in a lifetime tag. I’d recommend applying for top tier units for the first choice or two before dropping down to an easier to draw hunt. Good luck with the draw this year!

Like Sagefrog said, just stay with it or maybe open up your options for another unit that appeals to you.
you are right there & you never know, this could be your year. Good luck to you in the draw.

Thanks to everyone who has helped or reached out. NV elk is a tough decision and even tougher to find info with so few tags.

Rich

Thanks,
Rich
I have spent a lot of time in Jarbidge deer and elk hunting. It is a very physical hunt. Definitely can find elk. Rag horns are not hard to find. I hunted archery a few years ago and we did a late hunt in 2020. I'd be happy to help any way I can. Feel free to send me a PM

I am sitting on 23 pts at 63 and can still get around anywhere for now,and will be in the arctic during archery so its pts only this year. nevada is not were I would take any hunt when I can do that in other states for average bulls, maybe some day for nevada, it took 19 for a 241 deer tag, one choice at a time.

I have spent a lot of time in Jarbidge deer and elk hunting. It is a very physical hunt. Definitely can find elk. Rag horns are not hard to find. I hunted archery a few years ago and we did a late hunt in 2020. I'd be happy to help any way I can. Feel free to send me a PM
PM sent to you Mr Rat

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom