Nevada to Alaska

shedneck

It took a little over two years to save the money, but a dall hunt in Alaska was worth every penny and more. This was the hardest hunt I’ve ever done. The rocks, the glaciers, and the weather made it interesting, but keeping my sanity and my head in the game as the days of the hunt flew by without a ram was the hardest part. In the end, while laying on the mountain as it was raining and snowing, this amazing creature was bedded at 200 yards. I’d like to blame it on my frozen hands and shivering body, but the truth is that I flat out missed him in his bed. There’s something about a ram that gives a guy a fever like nothing else can. The ram stood up took a step or two, turned broadside, I shot, he stood straight up on his back feet and tipped over backwards.
78120CEB-44FD-4022-B1EA-81461062125F.jpeg
3B9571B2-0C50-4872-8FA2-D73F207A96B3.jpeg
5DD231CA-AAD0-40E7-94E3-F1D2D6DAC642.jpeg
59D85F58-BD05-4C8F-9344-59565628C9A4.jpeg
8CCA559C-C5A2-444B-BD49-63AF75AFFF78.jpeg
CDD8A44B-8B44-4B27-B20E-C9A9C2110350.jpeg
78120CEB-44FD-4022-B1EA-81461062125F.jpeg
21330D0A-D675-4540-AC10-CD51017E83FF.jpeg
281A83A0-7425-4523-9BE5-5E4F9DAF2945.jpeg

AFE15F4A-3C76-4CFB-B59A-F79EF93D06D8.jpeg

Looks like an amazing adventure.
Sure was. My advice to anyone who wants to hunt for a Dall is to book it now. Not only are reputable outfitters booked out for a couple of years or more, it also can take some of us that long to pay the ever increasing price. Thanks for the forum, Founder - it’s been a pleasure over the years. Lots of great people on here. I’ve even made life-long friends on this forum who were once strangers. I’m always willing to provide help where I can - especially in Nevada.

Few hunters have an easy go when it comes to Dall rams. They live in some steep nasty places, but that's what makes that hunt such an adventure. I'm very happy for your success Shed! Congratulations

That's just perfect Shedneck!
I'm glad for you it wasn't one of those "easy" "first day" Fair weather" rams....although some of us have had one or two easy ones. LOL
Bustin' azz always makes the kill sweeter.
Zeke

Nice ram! Did you guys take camp with you, or did the guide set up tents before you got there? 3 tents? How many guys went? I've been told that that some guides do that to save on packing in... makes taking a case of Silver Bullets that much more manageable. I'm super jealous of the amount of beer you brought. That looks like a dream sheep hunt.

Nice ram! Did you guys take camp with you, or did the guide set up tents before you got there? 3 tents? How many guys went? I've been told that that some guides do that to save on packing in... makes taking a case of Silver Bullets that much more manageable. I'm super jealous of the amount of beer you brought. That looks like a dream sheep hunt.
Bambistew - the outfitter has a small cabin with a temporary roof (has to for permitting) with a wood stove, a cook stove, and room for two cots. There’s another similar cabin with two cots. I spent the first two nights in that cabin and then lived out of a backpack the rest of the hunt until I harvested my ram. I was fortunate enough to go with three friends (4 people total). Two of us had tags and the outfitter allowed the other two to tag along. Both of the friends previously took rams with the same outfitter. We hunted in groups of three (a guide, a buddy, and the hunter) in separate areas in the same valley.

Our outfitter was great. We got to have fun while still working our tails off for a ram.

That's just perfect Shedneck!
I'm glad for you it wasn't one of those "easy" "first day" Fair weather" rams....although some of us have had one or two easy ones. LOL
Bustin' azz always makes the kill sweeter.
Zeke
[/QU

Thank you, Zeke. What makes that hunt one of my most memorable hunts is how hard we worked for that ram.

Bambistew - the outfitter has a small cabin with a temporary roof (has to for permitting) with a wood stove, a cook stove, and room for two cots. There’s another similar cabin with two cots. I spent the first two nights in that cabin and then lived out of a backpack the rest of the hunt until I harvested my ram. I was fortunate enough to go with three friends (4 people total). Two of us had tags and the outfitter allowed the other two to tag along. Both of the friends previously took rams with the same outfitter. We hunted in groups of three (a guide, a buddy, and the hunter) in separate areas in the same valley.

Our outfitter was great. We got to have fun while still working our tails off for a ram.

That sounds like quite the setup. A cabin on a sheep hunt! Dream come true.

Did your freind kill a ram? See any other big rams?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom