Nevada Unit 081, Youth Deer.

775MtnMan

Earlier this year i drew my last youth tag for Nevada, 081 Deer. Ive heard that its great, Ive also heard its not what it used to be, with that said. what should i expect? and what are your general thoughts on the hunt, Archery is my passion and i hope to get one killed during that season, it runs from Nov 10th to Nov 20th, if you have anything specific you'd like to share i can trade info, you can PM me. Thanks and good luck on your adventures.

Earlier this year i drew my last youth tag for Nevada, 081 Deer. Ive heard that its great, Ive also heard its not what it used to be, with that said. what should i expect? and what are your general thoughts on the hunt, Archery is my passion and i hope to get one killed during that season, it runs from Nov 10th to Nov 20th, if you have anything specific you'd like to share i can trade info, you can PM me. Thanks and good luck on your adventures.
I just wrote on another page about this unit. I drew this tag as well, the late rifle hunt. It’s a migration unit which some people don’t like, however the way I see it is since deer migrate in from higher areas and UT. And ID. The unit isn’t just dependent on the resident gene pool. There’s great genetics that have been circulating in that unit for years including the resident bucks. It’s all going to come down to weather. I believe the archery hunt can be the best hunt for that unit. If it stays warm and the unit doesn’t get any weather that can be pushed off later into the year though. I’ve been in there during the archery hunt and everywhere you look was a 160”-170” deer. And in the same day you could turn up that 180”+. This was due to cold temps pushing deer into the unit and the rut was in full swing, again this was the archery tag just a couple years ago. Others might have different experiences but this has been my relationship with the unit. If I had a youth tag I’d go in during archery and if there weren’t a lot of hard rutting bucks I’d come back in muzzleloader or even rifle if that’s what it took to be there in full effect rut.
good luck

I just wrote on another page about this unit. I drew this tag as well, the late rifle hunt. It’s a migration unit which some people don’t like, however the way I see it is since deer migrate in from higher areas and UT. And ID. The unit isn’t just dependent on the resident gene pool. There’s great genetics that have been circulating in that unit for years including the resident bucks. It’s all going to come down to weather. I believe the archery hunt can be the best hunt for that unit. If it stays warm and the unit doesn’t get any weather that can be pushed off later into the year though. I’ve been in there during the archery hunt and everywhere you look was a 160”-170” deer. And in the same day you could turn up that 180”+. This was due to cold temps pushing deer into the unit and the rut was in full swing, again this was the archery tag just a couple years ago. Others might have different experiences but this has been my relationship with the unit. If I had a youth tag I’d go in during archery and if there weren’t a lot of hard rutting bucks I’d come back in muzzleloader or even rifle if that’s what it took to be there in full effect rut.
good luck
appreciate the info, im definitely gonna be in there during archery, and if the rut gets pushed a bit later muzzleloader runs nov 21 to dec 10th, should be a fun hunt, gonna try to locate some resident deer here soon and see if any of those bucks are worth chasing.

just a little update--

we went out on Sep 30th and to our suprise being as early as it is located quite a few deer from the resident herd, mostly does about 6 or 7 younger bucks but they looked like they all had great genes... its looking like the northern 2/3 of the unit and the utah side may actually get some snow oct 11-13, that would be great with how dry its been, hopefully we'll make one more trip before the archery opener to try and locate some 160-170 type bucks.

just a little update--

we went out on Sep 30th and to our suprise being as early as it is located quite a few deer from the resident herd, mostly does about 6 or 7 younger bucks but they looked like they all had great genes... its looking like the northern 2/3 of the unit and the utah side may actually get some snow oct 11-13, that would be great with how dry its been, hopefully we'll make one more trip before the archery opener to try and locate some 160-170 type bucks.
PM sent

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom