Nevada Winter??

S

Slide

My dad and I have 9points for deer and I was just wanting to know how the winter is in Nevada? I'm beginning my research now and was wondering if Nevada was haveing a hard winter or a mild winter? I would sure like to draw this year my ol man is 69yrs old, retired timberfaller, tree fell on him about 18yrs ago and he has diabetes. Don't get me wrong he is no Pu**y he still climbs the hills just not like he use to and I know my time is running out with him. I want to draw this upcoming season and take him on one more good hunt. He is the only person I have ever hunted with and it will be hard on me when he can't go anymore.

Sorry guys didn't mean to get off the subject, just had to vent. Anyway I was hoping the winter is mild and the winter kill is low.

Thank you,

Slide

Well, let's see. I live in Fallon which is generally very mild. Yesterday I think the high was 6 and the low was about -6. Or something like that. So sofar the winter is going great. If you're an eskimo. :) Record setting cold and snowfall for this time of the year.

Seriously, pretty hard to tell yet but this is some unseasonably cold weather for this early in the year. It could mean we're in for a tough one or it could not snow again. Pretty hard to predict Nevada's weather except in hindsight.

Yeah man. Not looking good so far this year. Reno had 2 days of negative temperatures and 6-12 inches of snow depending on where you are.. Its been rough. Not sure what the kill rate on yound deer may have been.. hopefully for all of us they escaped so we can have a good season next year.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's colder then snot here also. I'm just trying to keep tabs on things, so i'm ready.

Slide

It hit -20 the past two days here in elko and theres about 3 inches of snow more in the mountains

They are saying El NEENIO!!! We need it though. Its been a drought for about 3 years. Like NVBighorn said, it hard to predict the mule deer around here. Different areas get hit harder than others, but seems to me, you could find a good buck in just about any zone in the state. The hardest part is getting the dang tag..

Good luck in the draw. Got a pass at Squaw Valley so l'm hoping this big winter pans out.

Good or bad winter, just try and secure a tag and GO! My Dad and life-long hunting mentor and buddy passed away recently. His last deer hunt two years ago (at age 85) will now have lasting memories for me. We really only saw a few bucks, little two points...even got into arguments, he wasn't about to shoot a forky! and I did chase a big two-point right by him, he was unable to see the antlers!We spent three days covering a lot of ground glassing and a lot of recollection of all the hunts we'd been on... I so longed for the times we hunted horseback and really went after the big 'uns. I even had to cut our hunt short and head for the emergency room of the hospital, as he developed medical problems, which had a hand in his eventual demise... but the deer hunt, was, as always another adventure for us! Wherever, you decide I hope you're successful and get on a great hunt!

We hunted Area 7 Snake Range from Tabor Creek up into the O'Neill Basin.

sorry to hear about your dad. Those two points you guys saw are now four points hahaha I hunted up there this year saw lots of four points and does but nothing huge there all about 22-25 inch four points now

NVPete, you sound like my ol man and I. I try hard not to get mad at him and try to remember how precious these years are to me and enjoy them as much as I can. It seems like the last 20yrs flew by and now I'm rushing to get in that one last good hunt with him. We tried to draw 221-223 and 231 last year but no luck, oh well maybe this year. I love hunting with my dad and i don't know what I will do when he's not here, it's hard to find someone who is as serious about hunting as we are. I have two boy's and I take my oldest as much as possible but he has another year and a half before he hunt big game so we are enjoying the bird hunting as much as possible.

Thanks for the responses.

Slide

Guys, I know the frustration of huntin with your dad when he's slowed down. I felt it this year in NM, and I felt guilty later. I wasn't as bad as in the past, it was more what I thought then what I did. Personally I think I'll be more understanding in the future. And remember, he sacrificed when you were young by huntin at your pace instead of his.

Slide, If you draw 222, get ahold of me. I saw one great buck and several good ones during my elk hunt. The great one was during the early hunt and the others were during the late. Only deer hunter I saw late was a youth, they get to hunt both seasons. I may wait forever but that one is gonna be on my app from now on.

Thanks Caelk, I just got back from varmit calling with dad and we were trying to set up and I didn't agree with what he wanted to do and I was getting frustrated, then I was like Okay pops I'll sit here. I know and understand what you said about all the times he took me, now I'm taking my kids so I appreciate what he did even more.

Thank's for the tip on 222. I sent you a PM.

Slide

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom