new #1 idaho buck ?

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
4aef924045ba6c5d.jpg

I got this sent to my phone .It claims its the new #1 idaho and #2 in the world. Anybody here got any info on this ?
Seeing all of these big idaho bucks posted up lately got me thinking about this one.
John

Muzzleloader new #1 for Idaho killed Oct 1st or so...story on lowland mulies web site. The guy had been watching this one for a few years and finally put it together on him.

you got a link to that website? I received this photo on my cell phone as well. That has to be the biggest mule deer of the year.

So as the article talks about this buck being a cactus buck... has anybody ever postulated about the Broder Buck possibly being a Cactus buck...???

That is one huge buck! I would leave the velvet on as well. Too awesome of a buck with it on to take it off! Congrats to the hunter.

I am not sure where he gets his defination of "cactus buck", but in my mind, a cactus buck will never shed his antlers because he has no testicular intervention (no male hormone). It is the surge of testosterone in the fall that makes the antlers shed their velvet and antelers harder and the cessation of the testosterone in the spring that makes him shed the antlers.

In my mind, this buck had all the right equipment and hormones, he was just on a different biological clock than the other deer. Mutant, surely, but not a cactus buck.

Bottom line, WOW! I would mount it just the way he shot it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

A good friend of mine clobbered him. I had the opportunity to hold that buck. His testes were very small, like the size of marbles. He lost his velvet last year on about Oct 14th, if I remember right. He looked like he was getting close to losing it again when shot.

It is the buck of a lifetime, well maybe for us. Dallas has more big bucks up his sleeve. Watch for more from this guy.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-09 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]Interesting, of course all deer's testes shrink up in the spring. Then they swell up in the fall and start producing testosterone, thereby causing them to shed the velvet. We will never know, but would be interesting to know what they would have been like after he shed each year. They would pretty much had to be bigger if he grew and shed antlers each year.

Nice to have friends in high places! Maybe he will share a secret or two.......with you at least

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

With all this testies talk maybe we need to start mounting the sack bellow the mount ? So when someone says how big were his balls ? You just say there they are givem a sgeeze ! lol

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-09 AT 09:18AM (MST)[p]sorry dude...this is the NEW #1 ID buck taken this season!!!

muleyman

4af1a90f53637d6a.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-09 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]I have seen this picture as well but, it is a white-tail not a muley!! ( the deer in the truck)

I beleive that is the 30 point whitetail killed in Wisconsin. God what a monster though!

txhunter58

"No testicular intervention" sure that could be the definition of a cactus buck in extreme cases. That's like saying autistic kids can't function because of the disorder. Fortunately there is a wide range in severity in all diseases and genetic malfunctions. Every condition can vary from a slight case to full blown cases. No different than a cactus buck. There are the ones that have a slight testicular malfunction and the ones that have no testicular function. It is still a testicular malfunction and that is what causes cryptorchids, which if you are wondering, is the scientific name for a cactus buck.

Secondly, testicles don't shrink in the spring and get larger in the fall. They are actually full grown or reach maturity at the age of 3 1/2 years old. They stay that size for the rest of their life. What does happen is, in the late winter after breeding the testicles are sucked up in the abdomen until late summer usually the first of August, at least here in Idaho. After the antlers have finished growing in mid summer the testicles are then pushed back out of the abdomen to prepare for the up coming rut. There are two main reason for this process, the first and most important is to protect the testicles from freezing and frost bite the secondly, and probably just as important to the readers on this site, is for the antler growing process.

By the way, this buck did not have all of the right equipment and did not participate in the rut.

Granted I'm not a biologist, I just spend hundreds of days a year in the field. I have video footage to prove my findings. I also do believe you can probably find it in a few more indepth reads. Maybe something by Olof Wallmo or maybe even Jim Heffilfinger.

Sorry to drag this out and yes everybody is in entitled to there opinion. I do believe that the way you see it is the most common way people view cactus bucks. This was just some food for thought. Don't take this as an argument its just the way I and many others see it.

Best Regards

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

"No testicular intervention"

That is what I said when I saw the credit card bill from my wife and her sister's shopping spree......

That is one fantastic buck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom