New 20 ga. for waterfowl??

ThunderImpulse4

For those serious duck hunters who shoot a 20 gauge what gun are you shooting? The club I guide at is switching to 20's over 12's, we have noticed they don't ring out over the marsh and scare birds out of the area like a banging away 12.

I am looking to switch from my 12 to a 20. A little lighter throughout the marsh they don't scare birds working nearby and it will require me to be more patient and let the birds work close before shooting.

I am looking at either the Franchi Affinity Elite or the Weatherby Element which is half the price.

Old memories.....my first shotgun was a bolt action Montgomery Wards 20g with an adjustable choke. I think I was 9 or so. Killed a bunch of birds and rabbits with that gun. I had to be pretty sneaky for ducks. Lead shot, of course.

I bought a weatherby sa 08 last spring with plans to use it a bit throughout the season and for my 20 year old daughter to use some.

Well she didnt have time to go much but I used it all but 2 hunts out 25 or so hunts.

I bought the Weatherby sa08 because it was well rated and inexpensive. The tristar mentioned above and the Mossberg sa 20 were contenders. They are all very similar.

I never had one hiccup with the gun the light gas operated gun has noticeably less recoil than my Benelli SBE 12 gauge shooting 3 inch shells. It is for sure quite and follow up shots are quick and fluid. Great patterns with factory chokes with Rio 3 inch 1 oz loads at 1450, kent fasteel 3 inch 7/8 oz at 1500 and fiocchi 3 inch 7/8 oz at 1500 all with 3 shot although the 4 shot in Fiocchi and Kent shot great too. I love this gun.

That being said I bought it because I didnt want to commit too much to a gun that I may not use much. So much for that. But I know this isnt a lifetime gun like my Benelli. So I may end up replacing it with a more expensive longer lasting option but I am afraid I wont like it as much.

I have seen a lot of comments as to the benefit on recoil of the gas gun over the inertia but I shoot inertia in the 12 and it doesnt seem any heavier recoiling than my sons Beretta outlander 300 gas gun. But must say the 20s are lightweight! So may be different, my gun hardly kicks at all.

As far as killing I think I do better with it than the 12. Super fun gun to hunt with.

Bill

Thanks bill. I appreciate the responses from everyone. This gun will primarily be the gun I use when I guide and my A5 12ga will be my personal hunting gun.

Just have to pick a gun and get ready for October

I used an Ithica 20 gauge 2 3/4 shells for years and then I went to the 870 in 20 gauge.

Ducks, Geese, pheasants ect.

Robb

Ha I am spoiled it has to be an auto.
Have a 12 gauge pump i bought in high school then i bought my A5 5 or 6 years ago and there is no going back unless it is a over under

I bought a franchi for the same reason and haven’t regretted the choice. Great all around gun ended up using it for almost all upland game hunting. Super easy to carry from rabbit to mountain grouse

they don't care if you use the same gun for ducks. LOL
high base #4 will knock them down.
Try some 20 ga Polywad shotgun Spreaders out of Georgia
They are my go to shells.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom