New 5 year Plan (Deer)

BenHuntn

I personally hope CWP goes back to previous 5 year plans they had in the past. I know the last 5 year plan was to get rid of the older deer that may be carrying the CWD disease. With this winter and the massive amount of deer killed due to season setting and additional tag quotas, I think they should change the seasons more into Oct and less in november and drastically cut quotas. What say you hunters?

Here’s my grand mule deer plan (I-phone version)

Mule deer are in decline across the west. Mature buck ratios are declining due to habitat loss, more effective hunters, and vulnerability to hunter harvest during the rut. A healthy and balanced herd has mature bucks and socially hunters desire mature bucks in the herd composition.

Colorado resident and non resident hunters have expressed frustration in the decline in age structure of bucks in the herd composition. Wildlife managers have been managing to lower buck to doe ratios and overall populations due to range limitations.

To balance hunter desires for robust populations and manager desires to reduce buck to doe ratios while maintaining populations, season structures must change.

The shift to later season dates has undoubtedly made mature bucks more vulnerable due to rutting behavior and weather conditions. Most western states do not allow rifle hunting of public land mule deer in mid to late November.

To maximize opportunity and hunter satisfaction the following is proposed:

1. Return to pre 2020 5 year season structure dates.

2. Add deer hunting to first rifle season.

3. Increase early season rifle hunting opportunity in first and second seasons to increase harvest of bucks, reducing buck to doe ratios. Add tags to increase opportunity.

4. Maintain low to moderate buck tag allocations in third seasons, and reduce season length to 5 days.

5. Eliminate fourth season deer hunting unless cwd prevalence in the GMU and DAU exceeds 4% on a 3 year rolling average AND previous year shows greater than 4% prevalence AND herd structure exceeds targets for population, buck to doe ratio, fawns recruitment, fawn survival, and mature buck ratio. This will allow for mule deer to have a “quiet period” to breed post hunting season as elk do in Colorado and ensure healthy herd compositions with management tools available in the case of high CWD prevalence.

Pretty simple… cut tag numbers half, cut doe tags to absolutely 0. Don’t hunt the living crap out out of them the whole month of November. Don’t see any of this happening but a guy can dream right. I think the mass migration of people to the state that has increased the number of vehicles on the road has had a significant part in the amount of mule deer fatalities out side of hunting season.

Pretty simple… cut tag numbers half, cut doe tags to absolutely 0. Don’t hunt the living crap out out of them the whole month of November. Don’t see any of this happening but a guy can dream right. I think the mass migration of people to the state that has increased the number of vehicles on the road has had a significant part in the amount of mule deer fatalities out side of hunting season.
Agreed, especially the car traffic. If you drive between rifle and aspen there is 2-5 new dead deer a day on either i70 or hwy 82.

Last time I was out between Craig and Baggs the muleys were clearly initiating their collective suicide pact. How many ARE killed by cars statewide. The numbers must be enormous. I almost hit three trophy bucks the last time I was down in SW colorado… on just one late night drive. 24/7/365 this is happening. Times millions of cars.

I agree.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom