New 6.5 SST build

marley

Very Active Member
I wanted a custom, light weight, shorty build for my girls and I to hunt with and to run suppressed. My build is a 6.5 SST with a 20" Proof barrel, Defiance Anti-X action, TriggerTech trigger, AG composite stock, Hawkins bottom metal, built by Weaver Rifles in CO. The rifle weighs just over 6 lbs. We have been loading Hornady 135 grain A-tips with 60 grains of N565 with a COAL of 2.92". Velocity was 2950 fps. Still have to paint the stock and cerakote the rifle. Expecting the suppressor to add 20-30 fps. Pic below is the first 3 rounds down the barrel so it's showing great promise!

3AF7FDB7-8960-4FB3-A85A-E792F7FA17DB.jpeg

C36A5D1B-E2DD-47C3-801A-3C5BE02B3909.jpeg

Great build! Kevin sure knows how to build a rifle and Rich’s cartridges are awesome. Are you running his brass or forming your own?
What colors on the stock and rifle?

I’m using a Rich’s ADG brass. Titanium Blue and black for the stock and action. I’ll post more pics when it’s done.

I’m using a Rich’s ADG brass. Titanium Blue and black for the stock and action. I’ll post more pics when it’s done.
Just curious what the actual length of the rifling in the barrel is. Barrel length not including chambering or muzzle break.
You said 20 inch barrel. Is that overall or the actual lands and grooves?
In other words if a barrel was 20 inches overall from the receiver to the end of the break it could actually only have about 16 1/2 inches of barrel to get the bullet spinning in.

Last edited:
Just curious what the actual length of the rifling in the barrel is. Barrel length not including chambering or muzzle break.
In other words if a barrel was 20 inches overall from the receiver to the end of the break it could actually only have about 16 1/2 inches of barrel to get the bullet spinning in.
That’s a good question and I actually have no idea

That’s a good question and I actually have no idea
Marley that’s a very sweet gun!

I’m just curious about barrel length from an accuracy and velocity standpoint.
I know a longer barrel produces more velocity but not sure about the accuracy?

I’ve read and heard that a shorter barrel can increase accuracy due to less harmonics. My longer barreled Guns from Kevin Weaver shoot amazing though as well. I really just wanted a shorter rifle to run suppressed without it being 10 feet long.

Most barrels are measured from the breech to the muzzle and don’t include the Muzzlebrake. Yes the chamber is technically part of that measurement and thus isn’t actual lands and grooves but I think it’s just standard to measure that way. Also barrel length is normally 20-25fps loss per inch cut off. The suppressor will add velocity though. Accuracy wise I don’t think barrel length has much if any affect on it. Far more important is concentric chambering and the person behind the rifle.

I need someone to explain to me how a suppressor adds velocity...
I’ve never used a suppressor but I suppose it would have to keep the pressure behind the bullet longer while it travels through the suppressor like a longer barrel would do. I doubt that’s the case though because I guess the gas would have to escape into the suppressor in order to silence the sound like a muffler does?

I’m not sure how or why the suppressor speeds things up but it adds 15-30 fps on all of my rifles.

marley,
Another sweet rig in your rack. Hopefully it will stack them like your ol' 28 Nos did!
I've been enamored by Hammer bullets lately. I'm betting the 124g Hammer Hunters would be a great combo for that little rifle.
Keep us posted on how it all turns out

Ive only used them on a couple of antelope last fall. My son's was at 670 yds and mine was at 460yds, but their performance was outstanding.
Unlike Barnes, which I have also hunted with for years, they are designed to shed their peddles, so they don't pencil through an animal, even at high velocity and close range. My experience is limited, but everything I've read says they are the real deal.
The really cool thing is, they are always available and will be shipped to your door within days.
I've loaded the 177g Hammer Hunter in my 28 Nosler and can't wait to try them out on a big bull elk this Fall ( and mine will almost compete with your 28 groups.)

Last edited:
Ive only used them on a couple of antelope last fall. My son's was at 670 yds and mine was at 460yds, but their performance was outstanding.
Unlike Barnes, which I have also hunted with for years, they are designed to shed their peddles, so they don't pencil through an animal, even at high velocity and close range. My experience is limited, but everything I've read says they are the real deal.
The really cool thing is, they are always available and will be shipped to your door within days.
I've loaded the 177g Hammer Hunter in my 28 Nosler and can't wait to try them out on a big bull elk this Fall ( and mine will almost compete with your 28 groups.)
I was going to try the 135 grain ATips this year but I just found out that I drew a sheep tag. I don’t want to experiment with them on a sheep tag so I’m going to load up some 143 grain ELDX for my sheep hunt and then try the ATips on my daughter antelope hunt.

The velocity thing is interesting. I guess it must add enough effective barrel length to offset the diverted gasses?

Enjoy the sheep hunt. What part of the state?

Loose lips sink ships... just giving you a little sh!t littlebig...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom