new barrel question

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
k my question is as follows;i am thinkin about replacing the stock barrel on ym remington 30/06. it has been on for a fewa years and has a bunch of shots thorugh it.but that is not y i want to replace it, i want to get a loger barrel with a tighter rate of twist for higher velocity and accuracy. where should i get one from? whats the price? and i need stainless. where should i get it put on if u get one?
casey

PRICE--$400.00 and up by any competent rifle smith, just by going to stainless steel over 4140 carbon steel will double the barrel price. Now after you have gotten over the price shock and are still serious about the barrel change, contact your local gunsmith and talk to him about what you want. You are going to need alot of infro about barrel twist Vs bullet weight, barrel lenght, and what you are demanding for accuracy. If you are demanding that the gunsmith will guarantee under one inch or better, you might hit the deck when he gives you the price.

RELH

What RELH said. A good job will cost you a minimun of $400... A good chrome moly bbl will run you anywhere from $150-$200, and a stainless will run you a little more, $200-$300 depending on who made it. Fitting, chambering and tureing will run you at the least $250 by a compitent smith. That is unless you have a Savage... BBL, wrench, go, no-go gages is all you need that will run you about $250 but I doubt you can get the longer barrle that you want

I thought you shot 125gr pills out of your 30 not 6, why would you want a faster twist than what you have now? Faster twist=longer heavier bullets. I highly doubt your bbl is shot out. It takes many thousand rounds to "shoot out" an 06, if the accuracy has dropped off, clean the fowling out of it.

The little bit of velociy you will gain by a longer bbl really isn't all that much. Maybe pick up 20-30fps per inch with a 30-06, they are pretty efficent with a 24" bbl. Not to mention adding 4"(maybe 100fps) on to your gun will change the ballence point and make it more awkward to pack around in the hills... If you want a long range outfit leave you 06 the way it is and buy a 300 mag of some sort... It will cost you the same in the long rung and in most cases be cheaper, and you'll end up with a new gun :)

I rebarreled a rifle last year. I got the barrle for $100, and had Hart put it on and ture it up along with a skim bed job. The bill for it was $425, and I bought the barrle.

I say buy a new gun, shoot it, if it won't shoot less than an inch, bed the action, and float the bbl... You'll still be ahead money...

Ivan

only .30 calibers i've ever seen shot out were target guns that had been shot thousands of times. i doubt a new barrel is needed. sounds like casey just has "new gun-itis". it's a horrible disease. i'd try tinkering with reloads to get the optimum out of your rifle before taking a drastic step like a new barrel. rifle twist doesn't have a lot of effect on velocity either. if you're going to shoot long, heavy bullets, you may need a quicker twist than if you shoot short light bullets, but most '06's i've been around shoot em all pretty well. if you're a handloader, try tinkering with the overall length of the cartridge. try to get the bullet closer to the lands. this seems to have as much to with accuracy as anything. increases pressure and velocity too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom