New California Elk Hunts (Southern Rocky)

bpbigperm

I was just told by a friend in Sacramento that the Traverse Range Elk Hunts have been approved. They will start with 50 tags. 14 draw tags and 36 SHARE tags, I am not sure of the split between landowner SHARE tags and how many of those go towards their raffle. The draw tags will have the ability to hunt from Fort Tejon to Lake Isabella. The concern is that the current Rocky Mountain Elk herd will keep moving north and create a hybrid elk with the Tules to the north. I am sure the specifics will come soon. At least our DFG is doing something to create more hunting opportunities in California.

I was just told by a friend in Sacramento that the Traverse Range Elk Hunts have been approved. They will start with 50 tags. 14 draw tags and 36 SHARE tags, I am not sure of the split between landowner SHARE tags and how many of those go towards their raffle. The draw tags will have the ability to hunt from Fort Tejon to Lake Isabella. The concern is that the current Rocky Mountain Elk herd will keep moving north and create a hybrid elk with the Tules to the north. I am sure the specifics will come soon. At least our DFG is doing something to create more hunting opportunities in California.
That's funny.....the Tule's just across I5 to the west don't count?...or breed??

Lots of Tule's on the west side....did Twisselman high fence them all in?
Twisselman???....those aren't even close....WindWolves preserve got Tule's released just west of Tejon ranch 25 years ago.....Tejon raised hell at the time but stfu after the release....

These Tules basically share a fence with Tejon rockys

I thought WW was on the west side of 5? How do they share a fence with Tejon when Tejon is on the East? I was thinking Twisselman was off of 166 but its 58.

WW is west of the 5. I think that Tejon is on both sides of the 5.
When those elk were given to Wind Wolves, we were told that once the herd was established, there would be a hunt. I‘m still waiting for that to happen. Those elk have got to be dying of old age.
Don P

I thought WW was on the west side of 5? How do they share a fence with Tejon when Tejon is on the East? I was thinking Twisselman was off of 166 but its 58.
Tejon is on both sides of I5......Although...I have never heard of any of their elk on the west side.

I'm having a difficult time trying to think of a public land area where an elk might be unlucky enough to be killed with one of these tags......sounds like a lousy depredation tag to me....

Oh, Tejon's elky's are 15-25K I believe. I only checked because my daughter shot a doe on a CDA-sponsored hunt, and that was like 12-15 years ago.

Yeah trophy bull at tejon is close to 50k now.

Also the elk have made their way all the way to lake Isabella and it would be only a matter of time before they make their way to the eastern Sierra mtns and up to tule country . I believe that’s another concern and where most of the public land would be offered for the hunt. The big bulls or vast majority of them you would need private property access which is going to be nearly impossible

Try 70k for a trophy tag on Tejon. It’s going to be a real disappointment to all the people who draw who don’t realize how difficult it’s going to be to even kill a cow. I’ll take my points else where. Good luck if you draw!

There are tule elk west of i5. I have seen them there and know someone with land there. The elk will migrate from i5 to soda flat throughout the year. There is no hunting that herd. I have also not heard of any elk crossing the i5. I have seen deer there in the median on i5 just north of Tejon headquarters. I am assuming the elk don’t like that steep face on the west side of i5. I was on top of the east side i5 one year hunting and we glassed the tule elk across the highway.
I believe the management bull rocky elk on Tejon were $35k and trophy $65k last year. I have never shot elk there but have friends who have. When I was there in June looking to rent the horse barn area for an event I asked about the elk hunts and was told there is a 3 year waiting list. I asked about a guided deer hunt while I was there and was told that it’s was $6,500. For that cash you could get one hell of a land owner tag in Utah or Co.

Yeah trophy bull at tejon is close to 50k now.

Also the elk have made their way all the way to lake Isabella and it would be only a matter of time before they make their way to the eastern Sierra mtns and up to tule country . I believe that’s another concern and where most of the public land would be offered for the hunt. The big bulls or vast majority of them you would need private property access which is going to be nearly impossible
I believe that is why there are so many SHARE tags. It’s almost all private. I know the range behind the Bena dump has elk and they won’t let anyone hunt there for any animal. It’s going to be a tough hunt after the first year. There’s enough private owned by anti hunters that the elk will settle on those properties eventually. In my opinion.

Probably be a few big bulls killed the first year for those in the know and/or have access to private. Most likely an opportunity hunt thereafter with low success rates on the public land draw tags.

If I recall correctly there was no expenses figured for implementing this hunt. Wouldn‘t the department have to compensate the SHARE landowners somehow for letting a SHARE tag holder kill a bull on their property given the Tejon is getting $80K for a trophy bull?

I can see them offering tags to the landowner to sell on the open market in exchange for them allowing access/hunts on their properties but I believe the ranch would have to be in the 580 program for this to occur and the tags would be restricted to that specific ranch. Does anyone know if the existing landowners providing the current SHARE elk tags up north are compensated?

Horniac

Sounds to me like a membership on Black Oaks Hunting Club just got more valuable....

Tules today 10 miles west of I5….
00876C0D-6CBB-4955-A7DB-E3A790F5C4F9.jpeg

Last edited:
They're expending Siskiyou and Del Norte too. A couple of other changes. I believe numbers will be official at April commission meeting.

Remember that one year....the one like 12 years ago where you forgot to put in for elk and antelope? Ya....that was the year I fricked myself of ever hunting elk or antelope in Cali. :(

Luckily--my elk points are the only ones still at max--well other than sheep. :oops:

Drew Likely Tables in 2018 and have never played for the G3-type hunts as I've drawn lot's of lower-level x-zones and enjoyed the hell out of them.

Luckily--my elk points are the only ones still at max--well other than sheep. :oops:

Drew Likely Tables in 2018 and have never played for the G3-type hunts as I've drawn lot's of lower-level x-zones and enjoyed the hell out of them.
I wish I would not have saved my deer points.....there are some good X zones you can hunt every 5 years or so. I've come too far now so I'll my max deer points all the way to Independence one of these days. LOL

I wish I would not have saved my deer points.....there are some good X zones you can hunt every 5 years or so. I've come too far now so I'll my max deer points all the way to Independence one of these days. LOL
Gotta say, it's a fun hunt. Been there 3-4 times, none with my own tag.

@Horniac The issue with offering PLM tags is they are capped. At this point there can be no new PLM tags added unless the commission votes to change the max #.

I wish they would change the PLM process to match the 1 private tag to 1 draw hunter in order to participate which would include hunting during the same time frame.

Cool to see the new zones hopefully they find a way to keeping eating away at the point pool.

If this passes ......... 99% of the elk are in D10 with no public ground to hunt,there are a small amount in D9 also on private ground so?????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom