New Changes for 2021

slamdunk

Statewide mule deer decrease coming our way!

60k yards in the Unitas hunting elk. What could go wrong?

I try to not join the chorus of its all about $$$, but is there any other reason?

I read what they are saying but it doesn't make sense. They say that it will expand opportunity's for families, There isn't much opportunity there on a hunt where the success rate is below 13%. Then they say it will strengthen ties to our hunting heritage, I'm not even sure what they are getting at there. Then they say it provides a challenge , not and easy hunt. Yes its a very hard hunt with extremely low success rates, so anybody that buys one of these unlimited tags better look at it as a 50$ camping permit. I would say it doesn't take eliminating and decimating an elk herd to strengthen family ties and help us get back to our heritage. There are plenty of other ways to do that. Every year for the past 30 years since I have been able to hunt I have watched our DWR Add more tags and add more hunts and find the most creative ways to increase revenue and increase tags and hunting pressure. We now have late hunts , mid season hunts , early hunts HAMs hunts and everything in between for every species. The deer herd and hunting in this state is so far gone that it will never come back under the way we manage it(for the opportunity). The Elk herd and limited units in this state are being managed for opportunity and it shows. Utah was once a dominate state for big bulls and now we hunt our guts out a compete in overcrowded hunting grounds for a chance at a 330 bull. Not to mention the 20 points we had to burn to get the tag. We have to many people in this state and not enough real-estate to accommodate it and to manage it this way. I just want my kids to be able to hunt some year, not every year. Then when they do get an "opportunity" to hunt maybe they will be able to get in touch with there heritage and strengthen there family ties with a fun hunt and a kill and not just a camping permit! I'm Pretty sure it will never change and most likely get worse , but that's my two cents worth.

"Strengthening our hunting heritage" is selling unlimited tags so our entire family can hunt together, not "kill together".

Utah has spoiled us with giant world class bulls over the years to the point where we call a 330" bull a dink.
Although I love giant bulls as much as anyone, it's sad that we look at a 330" bull as a disappointment.

I say going camping if you want to Strengthen your heritage , but selling unlimited tags on a clearly limited resources is just bad business. And Utah isn't spoiling anybody anymore with any of there hunts. 330" bull is now a giant and the reality is most guys are just trying to find a decent 6 point. Just give it time and we will all be proud to have a 140" buck or a 280" Bull, and just talk about what could have been with our kids While we are out hunting(camping), because there won't be any killing going on.

I say going camping if you want to Strengthen your heritage , but selling unlimited tags on a clearly limited resources is just bad business. And Utah isn't spoiling anybody anymore with any of there hunts. 330" bull is now a giant and the reality is most guys are just trying to find a decent 6 point. Just give it time and we will all be proud to have a 140" buck or a 280" Bull, and just talk about what could have been with our kids While we are out hunting(camping), because there won't be any killing going on.
Most are proud of their 140 buck or 280 bull now. Until you tell them there’s no way the score they announced on social media of 175 or 340 is accurate. Then they just get all pissed and tell you that you’re a jealous Ahole. ?

I dont like the idea.

But having said that Slam is 100% correct. There was no golden age for elk back in the day. Some of the LE barely had elk(I hunted the Manti prior to LE). With the social media came the expectation that any landscape should hold herds of 350 bulls around every corner.

In the interest of corporate hunting Utah created a few real good elk units that now are some standard.

Further Ive never understood the "$50 camping permit" slap. Why do you care? If being part of a tradition, a heritage, or a family camp is worth it to folks, GREAT for them.

The dirty secret in both deer and elk is that IF the DWR ever made guys choose LE draw or GS, but not both, MOST of the guys who use "oppurtunist" as an insult will go GS yearly. Its always the other guy who is buying camping permits and taking their rifle for a walk, its not me.

"Strengthening our hunting heritage" is selling unlimited tags so our entire family can hunt together, not "kill together".

Utah has spoiled us with giant world class bulls over the years to the point where we call a 330" bull a dink.
Although I love giant bulls as much as anyone, it's sad that we look at a 330" bull as a disappointment.
Who says that I’m lucky to see an elk on any any bull unit

Statewide mule deer decrease coming our way!
It's, managed for oppurtunity just like any other state
States, care, about money from tag sales,.
Buisness depend on out of state dollars,
From hunters, to get them through the slow period through fall winter and spring
The easiest way to do that is increase oppurtunity with unlimited tags.
More tags, more hunters= more revenue.
Oppurtunity sells, more tags, then quality does,
I'll spend twice the money in a, state that offers, the oppurtunity to fill my tag. With any legal animal before I'll spend a, dime in a, state that tells me I can only shoot a certain animal.
In 33 yrs, of hunting in several states I've never wasted my money in le units or special draw tags.
tag soup doesn't fill my freezer doesn't cook up well and isn't a, real good return investment

More people doesn’t necessarily mean more dead elk. It does mean more people out which can diminish the experience, but in all reality general season any bull hunts shouldn’t be centered on that.

The adage 95% of elk are killed by 5% of hunters is applicable here. The increase in hunter will lead to minimal increased harvest and significantly more opportunity to get out with a tag in hand.

That being said, the guys who are currently successful at hunting the any bull should be upset, they are the ones who stand to suffer here.

More people doesn’t necessarily mean more dead elk. It does mean more people out which can diminish the experience, but in all reality general season any bull hunts shouldn’t be centered on that.

The adage 95% of elk are killed by 5% of hunters is applicable here. The increase in hunter will lead to minimal increased harvest and significantly more opportunity to get out with a tag in hand.

That being said, the guys who are currently successful at hunting the any bull should be upset, they are the ones who stand to suffer here.
I agree.
More hunters just means decreased harvest rates and more dust on the roads, the same amount of elk will be harvested in the end.

I remember not too long ago, the any bull tags seldom sold out, and the quota was 15,000. The spike tags would sell out, but there were usually some left over any bull tags. Hunting is getting very popular and more and more hunters want to pursue elk. I would support an increase for any bull tags, but I am not a fan of going unlimited. The success rate is low and I don't think it would increase much if the quota was raised to 25000 permits.

If those old sub par le hunts open up in general that's going to hurt odds on the rest of the le units.

I would like to see Utah trend away from LE for the bulk of the state. I’ve thought a lot about this and would love to see a change from what we have to this.

Combine existing open bull with these LE units: cache north/south, wasatch and manti. Then apply these restrictions to it and leave the other LE units intact.

1. Hunters may choose to hunt the OTC or the LE but not both. You pick your poison. Guys with more then 10 points or so will stay loyal to the LE units.

2. Capped tag system similar to what we have.

3. Mandatory harvest report

4. 5 point or better.

5. Archery eligible every year, muzz every other, and rifle every third. If you harvest it’s an additional year of ineligibility. This moves hunters through the system while still preserving frequent quality hunting opportunities.

6. Season dates change. Muzz gets early dates, archery gets September, and rifle gets early October.

I could see a version of this where the state could sell 60-80k permits a year to guys who had a legit shot at chasing 300” or better bulls.

Point creep in the LE units would end, drop, and probably settle at 5-12 points depending on unit and season.

Just my pipe dream of a future that provides quality hunting opportunities at a reasonably frequent rate.

Last edited:
I remember not too long ago, the any bull tags seldom sold out, and the quota was 15,000. The spike tags would sell out, but there were usually some left over any bull tags. Hunting is getting very popular and more and more hunters want to pursue elk. I would support an increase for any bull tags, but I am not a fan of going unlimited. The success rate is low and I don't think it would increase much if the quota was raised to 25000 permits.

I dont disagree totally.

But this year there was lots of guys "working from home".

Combined with the states ineptitude, it created the panic.

Letting vendors handle tags again would even it out

I would like to see Utah trend away from LE for the bulk of the state. I’ve thought a lot about this and would love to see a change from what we have to this.

Combine existing open bull with these LE units: cache north/south, wasatch and manti. Then apply these restrictions to it and leave the other LE units intact.

1. Hunters may choose to hunt the OTC or the LE but not both. You pick your poison. Guys with more then 10 points or so will stay loyal to the LE units.

2. Capped tag system similar to what we have.

3. Mandatory harvest report

4. 5 point or better.

5. Archery eligible every year, muzz every other, and rifle every third. If you harvest it’s an additional year of ineligibility. This moves hunters through the system while still preserving frequent quality hunting opportunities.

6. Season dates change. Muzz gets early dates, archery gets September, and rifle gets early October.

I could see a version of this where the state could sell 60-80k permits a year to guys who had a legit shot at chasing 300” or better bulls.

Point creep in the LE units would end, drop, and probably settle at 5-12 points depending on unit and season.

Just my pipe dream of a future that provides quality hunting opportunities at a reasonably frequent rate.
As long as the leave the Berry alone right. lol

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom