New "Coon" Trap

Buckhunter1955

I just got my new coon trap a few days ago. Can't wait to see how it works.

Trap.jpg

Love all the old bear traps. About 30 years ago, we were hunting elk here in Idaho and I found a hidden spring in a canyon I never knew about. It was totally isolated by blowdown trees and probably hadn't been visited in years. As I jumped down off one of the logs, I spotted the jaws of a bear trap right where I was going to land. It was sprung, but still scared the crap out of me.

I dug it out of the dirt and leaves, and started looking at the remains of an old cubby and the tree the trap was wired to was old and rotten. Was probably set back in the 50-60's by a sheepherder with a bear problem. It was an original S. Newhouse Model 15 by Oneida, from about 1915-1925. Packed it up out of that canyon, and brought it home. I sold it for some really good money, to the president of the Idaho Trapper's Association. Just the setting clamps are worth serious money now. Always look back, and wish I had kept it now!!!

Those command some serious $$ Today. I had about 8 dozen or so traps I left at My parents house after college that I used trapping as I grew up in the 70's.

One day several years ago I went looking for them in the Barn and couldn't find them. They were mainly Victor Traps of all sizes.

I asked my dad if he knew where they were, and he said "Oh I took them to the flea market and sold them". I thought you would never use them again.........Now that I am retired, I entertained the idea of trapping again, but if I do now, I will have to start all over again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom