New deck

eelgrass

Long Time Member
This winter my wife said she was tired of looking at the same old worn out deck, and could she have a new one? Normally I’d be offended but I saw her point and agreed, at least in principle.

We started discussing options. I narrowed it down to natural wood, either redwood or cedar, or something like trex decking. She immediately ruled out trex decking. She looked at one of her girlfriend’s artificial deck and said it looked nice but seemed cold and impersonal. She said it functioned great though. She just couldn’t connect with it emotionally. She wants a real deck. So I dug around at the lumber yard and found some old growth Red Cedar for about 2/3 the price of second or third growth redwood. Really good looking cedar, nice and tight grained.

Next was size. She said not too big but not too small. She said big decks look nice but are exhausting with all that maintenance. She said the size of the one she has is fine with her. She said size took a back seat to a good strong firm deck. She said nobody likes a limp deck. I promised her the new deck would be good and stiff and so I added more pier blocks. She also said she wants it straight. No kinks in her deck. That was easy.

Last on the list was color. She said she was kind of tired of the natural look and asked if I would paint it dark brown? I hated to hide that beautiful cedar but even if she said she wants a black deck, who am I to argue? I built it to her specifications. It's not a fancy deck but should service her for years to come.

P1010230.JPG
P1010235.JPG

Little known fact was all that wood cut for the deck was done with a RELH custom knife. Didn’t even need sharpened after!

Eel you should have invited SS over and buried him under that deck. No one would have missed him.:LOL:

I build most everything myself but I told the wife if she wanted a bigger deck, she’d have to get more men on the job.

Why not Oak? It is a very hard wood.

Would a detached deck would work?

BTW, I found a good deck brush for you. I bet it will clean your deck right up.

514PIl935xL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
We will if you promise to dig your own grave. Dig it deep as Eel does not like the smell of rotten manure,:LOL:

RELH

That one made me laugh. In fact that’s kind of how I picture you blue hair!
Maybe he should clean up his deck a little more, wash it off, maybe put a little oil on it to bring out the color.
Just sayin when you are trolling you need to use the right bait.......

I starting putting a shed over it about 20 years ago, so I think it musta started when I was in college.

And....

I forgot to comment on the foundation piers. It seems not a lot of thought went into having a somewhat level playing field to start. :rolleyes:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom