new gun opinions

F

fsh2win

Im lookin for a new gun for muleys and long shot coues here in AZ. Iam not gonna reload, and will shoot alot every year.What are my best options and where should I look to buy it at? Walmart? ha ha...

If you are not looking for a mag., I would look for a 25-06, 270 Win. and you might take a look at the new short 7mm mag. all of them are very flat shooting and will do very well for your type of deer hunting. As for brand, get the best that your pocket book will allow you to do. Going into Wal-Mart and handling the various brands might give you a good idea on a rifle that will fit you and the style that is attractive to you. Just remember that when you buy from a large chain store, like Wal-Mart, do not expect any other service down the line like you might get if you purchased the rifle from a gunsmith store. the chain stores will sell you a rifle for a few dollars less and nothing more.

RELH

F2W, You might want to concider the .280REM. It's close to a 7mag. and alittle more then a .270WIN. It's a very good all-around caliber that's often overlooked. :7

Check out this site: www.chuckhawks.com go to Guns & Shooting Online. Check out what calibers you are interested in. I am always looking for something new or to meet certian types of hunting.

I have everthing from a .17 HRM to .30-378 and I just compared the .270 Wthby to a lot of the new WSM. Seems the .270 Wthby is a good choice for an all around gun.

Picking a cartridge is tuff!!! Decide on what you'll be hunting the most and pick something that will fill that ned. Everyone has a different idea of what's best. Be open minded.

If you want a custom gun check out Christensen Arms.com, carbon fiber barrels are tuff to beat. They can make any caliber you want.

Banker

I can't say enough good things about my 7mm stw for long range deer hunting. I've had and have several and a couple of friends now have them and they are all very accurate. It's more than enough for cous deer but when I hunted them in Az(they haven't given me a tag since and I really liked hunting those little dudes) I felt like it was spot and shoot hunting. The stalking wasn't all that productive for me and since the rut was on all those does made it tough to get close (300 yds was considered close). The magnums are nice on long shots and they buck the wind well. Best part is if your off on your range by 30 or 40 yards it's still a likely hit even on those dinky deer at 400+ yds. The 140 gr bullets shoot easier and both Federal and rem make some good factory loads.
Somebody will have to make a factory 6.5x284 soon. Seems like the perfect long range deer gun if you don't want to get beat around and lots of good bullet selection. The .260 is also hard to beat if you don't get too short of a barrel and loose all your velocity.
Just my 2 cents worth

i shoot a brno .270 for moose to deer federal 150 grn.great flat shooter.good enough for jack oconner/good enough for me! joe

I have to tell you my choice would be a 257 weatherby
good enough for deer great for all long range shots

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom