New hunter looking for advice

tryptaview

Hey guys new to this forum and hunting in general technically. As a kid i was obsessed with hunting and dreamed about it everyday. I even sat in my room an practiced on an elk bugle and turkey call in preparation for the first hunt. Well my parent's were very much against hunting and guns in general so a dream eventually faded away. fast forward 15 years and the purchasing of a CVA Wolf inline muzzle loader has rekindled that old passion. The new issue is all the red tape involved in just acquiring a tag and finding a location. I'm looking for advice as to a good first hunt, hoping for nothing in particular but something to get the feet wet. I live in the high desert of southern Cali about 90 minutes from Los Angeles. What should i be even applying for tag wise? locations? Literature or sites to get caught up on laws, technique, etc. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Read the CA hunting regs front to back. Sign up and take a hunter safety course.

Books:

Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2- By Boyd Iverson
Trophy Blacktails: The Science of the Hunt- By Scott Haugen
Mapping Trophy Bucks- By Brad Herndon
Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer- By Dwight Schuh
Mule Deer: A Handbook for Utah Hunters and Landowners- By Dennis Austin
Mule Deer Strategies: A Handbook of Hunting Techniques- By Walt Prothero
Deer of the Southwest- By Jim Heffelfinger
Search for "Elknut (Paul Medel )" books, CD's, and DVD's for elk hunting.

Podcasts:

Deer University, JayScottOutdoors, Rich Outdoors, Wired To Hunt are all good podcasts to start with.

Youtube:

MSU Deer Lab TV

Lots of good information to learn about mule/blacktail deer here:

There are still good bucks to be had in California, but for the most part they are farther north than where you are. Build points for the X zones.

I'd also build points for Nevada for sure but look into Arizona and other states as well.

Get a good set of binos and glass until your eyes feel like they are going to fall out.

I have never hunted in California but I have heard there is a pretty healthy feral pig population. If they are listed like vermin and you can hunt them year round that might be a good way to get a lot of trigger time, plus getting a system down on managing the logistics involved with moving and cooling meat before you attempt it on a deer or elk.

Good luck.

Read the CA hunting regs front to back. Sign up and take a hunter safety course.

Books:

Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2- By Boyd Iverson
Trophy Blacktails: The Science of the Hunt- By Scott Haugen
Mapping Trophy Bucks- By Brad Herndon
Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer- By Dwight Schuh
Mule Deer: A Handbook for Utah Hunters and Landowners- By Dennis Austin
Mule Deer Strategies: A Handbook of Hunting Techniques- By Walt Prothero
Deer of the Southwest- By Jim Heffelfinger
Search for "Elknut (Paul Medel )" books, CD's, and DVD's for elk hunting.

Podcasts:

Deer University, JayScottOutdoors, Rich Outdoors, Wired To Hunt are all good podcasts to start with.

Youtube:

MSU Deer Lab TV

Lots of good information to learn about mule/blacktail deer here:
Dude perfect thank you so much

I have never hunted in California but I have heard there is a pretty healthy feral pig population. If they are listed like vermin and you can hunt them year round that might be a good way to get a lot of trigger time, plus getting a system down on managing the logistics involved with moving and cooling meat before you attempt it on a deer or elk.

Good luck.
I didnt even think of the logistics of moving meat thanks fir the tip!

Apply for the draw, you won't draw a tag the first year (most likely). For every year you don't draw in states other than New Mexico and Idaho, you build points. Some states like California, Colorado, and Oregon use preference points where a majority of the tags go to the people with the most points. A portion of tags are set aside for the guys with out points or less than max points.

Nevada uses bonus points, where you get a point for every year but you don't have preference over anyone else. Your points are squared in Nevada, meaning if you have 3 points you'll have 9 random numbers plus 1 from your application assigned to you in the draw. They select the lowest number and go from there. I believe Arizona is similar.

And while Tristate did give some good advice with hunting pigs, unless you have private property or want to go guided and pay big money to shoot a pig, it's really not worth the time. Public land pigs are darn near impossible to kill.
Yea i've heard its pretty difficult to spot pigs on public land because the private land is stocked with fruiting trees, water, etc.

Can’t help ya much with actually acquiring a tag since I’m not from Cali and don’t know their systems, but when you do get a tag the best thing you can do is scout and learn the area in the preseason. And also get a good pair of binoculars and X7aHuntet said and glass till your eyes are about to fall out

If you really get into hunting, don't mind traveling a little and spending the money for out of state hunting then I would look at Arizona as it wouldn't be a bad drive for you. Don't apply for hard to draw hunts. Look for those that you can get every year such as Over The Counter (OTC) tags or tags that might only tag 1 or 2 points to draw. This will allow you to hunt more often and learn the area better which will increase your chances for success. Arizona has some good options for seasons and to hunt mule deer or coues deer.

If you really get into hunting, don't mind traveling a little and spending the money for out of state hunting then I would look at Arizona as it wouldn't be a bad drive for you. Don't apply for hard to draw hunts. Look for those that you can get every year such as Over The Counter (OTC) tags or tags that might only tag 1 or 2 points to draw. This will allow you to hunt more often and learn the area better which will increase your chances for success. Arizona has some good options for seasons and to hunt mule deer or coues deer.
I didnt even think about that thx for the tip!

I'd also look at Southern Utah and/or Nevada. You probably are not that far, and a muzzleloader tag may be pretty easy to get. If you'd like to talk about points, please send me a PM (personal message) with a phone number and I can describe the process. Basically, most states have a limited number of tags and have gone to a lottery system. Each year an applicant puts in, they get one "point" towards next years (one more chance) draw. Some states "draws" are based on the highest point holders (most points) putting in for the particular tag get the tag, others are more random in nature, point gives you an extra chance to draw the tag, but there is still some luck involved.

There isn't much red tape to drawing a tag, or difficulty in finding places to hunt in California. The difficulty is getting away from people and out working them. You can actually draw an "A" zone tag and "B" zone tag, and hunt for two months from so.Cal to the Oregon border. There's lots of options, but tough hunting.

hwy

No, no, no! Don't go to Arizona! ? It's hard enough for me to get a tag in my home state. Just kidding

Ryan
How much time and money do you have to spend on hunting.
That can put you in or out of the running for out-state hunts that can make things(taking a animal) happen a lot faster.
I live in the High Desert

The very best game animal to get started on is Pronghorn Antelope in Wyoming ! Nothing else comes close. Be sure to get a Preference Point every year without fail. That will help right away when you decide on a unit to hunt. You can also draw a tag in a unit with no points needed right away, as in This Year, application date ends 5/31. You purchase Pref Points 1 at a time during July-Sept yearly period. Wyoming has lots of BLM lands open to all hunters to hunt. A great reason to hunt there !
Look up the states & areas on: toprut.com, to see the units, draw odds, seasons, etc..
Next state to get points every year is Colorado, but deadline is 4/7 ! ?
Get points for deer, elk, antelope for sure every year. Never miss that !
I lived in Arizona for 15 years in Flagstaff . It's a very tough place to get a tag, period. Plus they clobber you every year with a $ 150 license fee non Resident ! Odds of a tag are very bad generally speaking.
Colorado is unique-- they give out Preference Points, not random points !! Big difference! Those with the most Preference Points get the license !!
I'll be glad to explain the systems in different states to assist you.
Hope this helps you get started ! Just Text me or call me. I'm 73 & have hunted most every state in the west last 42 years. I know quite a lot about Wyoming especially on antelope. My thing !
Jerry Gold ?? Fort Collins, Colorado
E M: [email protected]
Cell : 307-772-1623

Cool! What unit did you get drawn for?

I drew unit 23. should be a great hunt!!
Also, Jerry gave some great advice if you don't mind going out of state. Wyoming and Colorado have excellent opportunities to hunt antelope, deer and elk.
Get your hunter safety class taken care of and go huntin. I can suggest some areas that are easy to draw. I would think Jerry has some great suggestions as well.

hwy

Your CVA won't help, but you might rekindle your interest in turkey hunting. Again there would probably be a trespass fee but I hear there is some pretty good turkey hunting in CA. Sometimes if you know the right people you can get on private land with reasonable fees.

Well, first off, Congratulations for going out on your own and exploring the world of hunting and guns even though your folks are against it! It really is cooler that what you imagine. My suggestion is to buy a rifle and start with that. Only because your opportunities as a new hunter, will be mostly during rifle seasons and all the other folks will have one. You can use your muzzy during a rifle season, but you can't use a rifle during a muzzy season. If you want to stick with the CVA Wolf, good for you! I've hunted all my life in California with rifle and bow and I'm just now looking into a CVA. Get yourself the 2020 California Big Game Hunting Digest. You can find it online or get a hard copy at a walmart, bass pro shops or another sporting goods place. This will summarize the big game opportunities in CA. Look in there for hunting zones you are willing to travel to that have the higher hunter success rates but are zones that you can draw with no points. I suggest starting to build points but getting a tag that is easy to draw also, so you can get a point and still hunt. (the Hunting Digest will explain all of this confusing stuff) If you don't have a hunting license, you must get that before hunting, but regardless, practice shooting your CVA Wolf as much as you can and get good at making long distance shots. That way you are comfortable with it in the field and it will make the close shots a piece of cake. Starting with deer, will be your best bet to get out hunting soon. Wild hogs are a lot of fun, but mostly all on private property. I've got several hogs, in different parts of the state - all on private ground. Also, read the CA Department of Fish & Game website for hunting opportunities. There is a ton of info on their website. Good luck to you!!

Not at all, just razzing California people. I took a boatload of grief when I first moved to Arizona, figured after 30+ years it's my turn to give people some grief, all in jest, of course. Where do you chase javelina?

Not at all, just razzing California people. I took a boatload of grief when I first moved to Arizona, figured after 30+ years it's my turn to give people some grief, all in jest, of course. Where do you chase javelina?

Haha I agree I think it’s your turn! And we usually hunt em on 20c, doesn’t seem to be a very good unit but that’s what we’re most familiar with, they’re fun to chase though!

I was in 20C in February, no pigs,but I had a large rattlesnake crawl under my feet while i was glassing. No one ever saw a fat old man jump so high or get away so fast!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom