New Hunter - Unit 12 Elk Tag

Dukefan31

Hello everyone,

I just moved to New Mexico this past October and am a new hunter as well. I was fortunate enough to draw an elk tag this year for unit 12 and was wondering if anyone could provide any guidance on how to scout the area, what I should be looking for, and any other useful tips. I went out for spring turkey there to try my luck and try and get a lay of some of the land but wasn't able to turn up anything except some cows and jackrabbits. Any and all advice is welcome and thank you to everyone in advance for your help.

sorry pard, I know your intentions are good but asking for hunting info online probably won't get you much. gotta get out there and make some tracks.

very checkerboard , unit and the guides on the private side are ##### wads they harass the public hunters pretty good. With that said what tag do you have ? if you have one of the early rifle tags possibly could be one of the best rifle tags in the state. The elk are plentiful and holds some really great bulls.

Get a good land map that shows land ownership or the onxy app and starting figuring out how to hop scotch the blm and state

Welcome to the forum. There are some really good people on here and like everywhere there are some real a-holes. I will pm you next week when I get back from scouting. In the mean time ck out On X maps really cool program to help e-scouting before you go.

Jack

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Ive been scouting it out on OnX and will be heading out there more this year to do some more leg work. I know the info I get is limited but everything helps. Glad to be a part of your alls community and appreciate all the feedback!

If you put in for unit 12 wasn?t by accident and you have to have an idea of what your doing in that unit. No one applies for 12 on a good feeling.

It's pretty simple.... almost all private very little state and blm. That sums it up pretty well on where you can hunt.

>If you put in for unit
>12 wasn?t by accident and
>you have to have an
>idea of what your doing
>in that unit. No one
>applies for 12 on a
>good feeling.
>
>It's pretty simple.... almost all private
>very little state and blm.
>That sums it up pretty
>well on where you can
>hunt.

Yup??? 12 sucks..

Which tag do you have, I'll be there on the 2nd archery hunt. Me

>very checkerboard , unit and the
>guides on the private side
>are ##### wads they harass
>the public hunters pretty good.
>With that said what tag
>do you have ? if
>you have one of the
>early rifle tags possibly could
>be one of the best
>rifle tags in the state.
>The elk are plentiful and
>holds some really great bulls.
>
>
>Get a good land map that
>shows land ownership or the
>onxy app and starting figuring
>out how to hop scotch
>the blm and state

So because I guide a lot around there. I'm a #### wad? Sounds like you deserved whatever happened to ya to make a statement like that!!!
>

>>very checkerboard , unit and the
>>guides on the private side
>>are ##### wads they harass
>>the public hunters pretty good.
>>With that said what tag
>>do you have ? if
>>you have one of the
>>early rifle tags possibly could
>>be one of the best
>>rifle tags in the state.
>>The elk are plentiful and
>>holds some really great bulls.
>>
>>
>>Get a good land map that
>>shows land ownership or the
>>onxy app and starting figuring
>>out how to hop scotch
>>the blm and state
>
>So because I guide a lot
>around there. I'm a ####
>wad? Sounds like you deserved
>whatever happened to ya to
>make a statement like that!!!
>
>>

Lol yeah we are just #### wads Jeremy. Im pretty sure you and I have been pretty generous with the knowledge we know of the unit.

>>>very checkerboard , unit and the
>>>guides on the private side
>>>are ##### wads they harass
>>>the public hunters pretty good.
>>>With that said what tag
>>>do you have ? if
>>>you have one of the
>>>early rifle tags possibly could
>>>be one of the best
>>>rifle tags in the state.
>>>The elk are plentiful and
>>>holds some really great bulls.
>>>
>>>
>>>Get a good land map that
>>>shows land ownership or the
>>>onxy app and starting figuring
>>>out how to hop scotch
>>>the blm and state
>>
>>So because I guide a lot
>>around there. I'm a ####
>>wad? Sounds like you deserved
>>whatever happened to ya to
>>make a statement like that!!!
>>
>>>
>
>Lol yeah we are just ####
>wads Jeremy. Im pretty sure
>you and I have been
>pretty generous with the knowledge
>we know of the unit.
>
Right!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom