New Mexico - 2B - Late Rifle

joshs

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-19 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]Hello,

I am looking for a little help from anyone who might be familiar with the 2B unit in New Mexico for deer as I drew this unit but due to the long drive from Washington, I will not be able to make it down to do an early scouting trip. My current plan is to arrive Oct 31 with the hunt Nov 2-6, should give me a few days to scout and get familiar with the area. Having read a lot about the unit I know it heavily relies on migration from Colorado to be the best hunt it can be but wondering about the areas I have picked to start scouting and basecamp as well as road availability that time of year.

I am looking at the northern portion of the unit near the carracas rim, specifically the Eul point area. From everything I can find it looks like the road is open to that point and then I can head out from there to glassing areas and getting in deeper.

Does anyone have knowledge of the area or any pointers they are willing to share for that unit?

Thanks
Josh

Bring a set of tire chains. The roads are abominable when wet.

Carracas is as good as any other spot, I suppose. You'll probably have plenty of company.

Most all "side" roads are gated off and only use the chains to get yourself out, not in. If you get stuck in 4 wheel drive with chains, you're stuck and stuck good.

The deer will move with cold weather, and this year is supposed to be colder with near normal precipitation.

I would focus my efforts on BLM between the forest and Navajo Lake.

That road will be locked off by the time your hunt starts, closes Oct 31. Good area and should be holding plenty of deer that time of year but youll be walking in Don't be fooled with all the migration hype there are resident deer throughout that unit, good luck turning one up in the daylight. When those deer start moving they go quick. The main road in will be ok plenty of rock ground in. Like said above have chains, if the weather comes those secondary roads get nasty.

Lots of roads have gates so you walk in or mountain bike in.
I'm thinking you will have a good hunt with nice cold weather,
Tire chains could be the best equipment that you have with you.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Do a search on this forum for info......there's a thread every year for this unit asking on info. You may get some tidbits from them.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Call the Forest Service and they can get you a map showing all the roads that will be open in the National Forest.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom