New Mexico Archery - Unit 45

Brad G

I drew and archery tag for this unit 45. I live in TN so I've been doing a lot of scouting using Google Earth. I'll be doing a solo backpacking trip in early September.

Most of my Google Earth scouting has centered around areas above timberline in the northern 1/3 of the Pecos Wilderness. After doing a search on the site, I'm now interested in locating the burn areas. I've located burns west of East Pecos Peak, south of Elk Mountain. Are there any other burn areas that aren't showing up on the old imagery on Google Earth?

I'd love to hear some opinions of whether I should focus most of my attention above timberline or on the burn areas. Thanks for any feedback that you can provide. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Brad

Last edited:
I have a rifle tag for this unit Nov.7-11 which is probably completely different from Archery season. I think your strategy about searching out burns is a good one. I would also try to get high...like 9K ft. high and just look for good habitat and water. Make sure you have good glass.

I have a rifle tag for this unit Nov.7-11 which is probably completely different from Archery season. I think your strategy about searching out burns is a good one. I would also try to get high...like 9K ft. high and just look for good habitat and water. Make sure you have good glass.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been concentrating on the burns since I posted my questions here. One it particular burn is currently Plan A with another above timberline area as plan B. Hope to reach our to FS office and/or Wildlife Biologist this week to see how old the burn that I'm looking at is. I assume it will provide good feeding areas for several years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom