New Mexico rifle deer Unit 45 help

WARDO

Hey all! I'm new on this forum. I'm trying to get some intell on Muley hunting Unit 45. I'm told there are some great bucks in this unit, but I've never hunted it. I'm an experienced western hunter so I just need some pointers on where to start. Thanks all!- WARDO

WARDO,

Sorry. A few guys get a little tired of the “I just drew XYZ tag and need to know where to hunt” type threads. If you have been on MM very long they do tend to get a little tiresome. That being said, I feel generous so...I have had the best luck finding bigger bucks just east of Thompson Peak in the north fork of Dalton Canyon Creek. It will require a decent hike and good glass but you should be able to find a 180 class deer. I have never had any trouble turning up numerous 170 class bucks and always have found at least one over 180 in that canyon.

Thank you! That is very generous of you. I’ll be sure to scout that area. What’s your name? Hopefully it doesn't snow too hard. The hunt is Nov.7-11 Have you ever hunted the northern part of this unit? Near Truchas?

Last edited:
I have the same hunt WARDO. We have a few scouting trips planned out before the hunt. I'd be willing to trade if you get out to scout as well!

I doubt I'll be out there before my scouting before the hunt. I'll be out there about 4 days ahead of the hunt to scout some of the areas I have highlighted. How many in your party?

Should just be 3 of us come the hunt. i was able to get up there on Sunday and thankfully got rained on. Saw about +20 doe and one little yearling. The only "rubs" I saw looked too high on the trees to be elk so I assume the bucks are still growing.

I'm fairly new to hunting and my son (11) has his first deer hunt in unit 45 in a couple days. It's a youth only FAD hunt, so there's only 25 total tags. We've done some scouting and have come up empty handed. I see a few of you just finished hunts in the area. Would anyone be willing to share some recent sightings so we will at least know where to start? I'd really like my son to have a good start with hunting. Thank you for any help!

WARDO,

Sorry. A few guys get a little tired of the “I just drew XYZ tag and need to know where to hunt” type threads. If you have been on MM very long they do tend to get a little tiresome. That being said, I feel generous so...I have had the best luck finding bigger bucks just east of Thompson Peak in the north fork of Dalton Canyon Creek. It will require a decent hike and good glass but you should be able to find a 180 class deer. I have never had any trouble turning up numerous 170 class bucks and always have found at least one over 180 in that canyon.
I had an archery hunt there. Went to the north/east high country and didn't see much so went back to mid country burns, found one and some does. Went to check Thompson like you said, very generous by the way, steep, thick, takes an hour to walk a mile uphill, good stuff. Ran into a guy said the deer he saw in summer all disappeared. Well I just so happened upon a real big mountain lion. Found its sign first, full of deer hair and looked like the size of someone's loose pet tiger. Then the flash of tan right at dusk. So, I have an idea of where some of those deer went. There's bear sign in the area, but the bear scat piles were half the size of the lion's. I would be up for linkup trying to get another tag or thin the predators there.

I have seen cats ruin an area. Sorry to hear that. Deer and elk will definitely respond to pressure from a cat in the area. To many places to go without cats.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom