New Mexico Sheep draw

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Hey looking to try applying with and outfitter in New Mexico for sheep any suggestions. I know the odds are slim to zero but somebody draws. I knew of Frontier but website is down and phone disconnected and no post on facebook for a year...

I don't have any experience with outfitters for sheep in NM, but my first question for you is are you a resident or non resident? If you're a resident, for 2022, the resident pool drawing odds were quite a bit better than than the outfitter pool drawing odds, and you should just stay in that pool.

If you're a non resident, the non resident pool draw odds were approximately 0.09% vs. 0.17% for the outfitter pool. So, a non resident would almost double their odds by signing up for the outfitter pool, but we're still talking about the difference between 1 in a 1,000 vs 1 in 600 odds of drawing the tag. So knowing those odds going in, how much effort do you want to put in researching an outfitter?

Also, all ram hunts are once-in-lifetime, and they also run pretty close to 100% success rates, so there probably is not many hunters (if any) that have hunted for rams with more than one outfitter that would be able to make a fair comparison between two different ones.

My guess is that they're all probably pretty good if you're lucky enough to draw the tag.

Thanks Mozey I meant to mention I'm a Non res..., since they changed everything down there I stopped applying for sheep was under the impression there was literally no chance for a un guided to draw a tag the way they set the quotas. I hate numbers but I love hunting rams and if there is any chance it is worth a shot I have been lucky before! Yes I understand from locals I know once you have the tag the sheep are easy to find and pretty easy to hunt considering your still hunting sheep and its steep and high. I was mostly look for a hair better draw odds but at those numbers it is pretty much blind luck

Thanks Mozey I meant to mention I'm a Non res..., since they changed everything down there I stopped applying for sheep was under the impression there was literally no chance for a un guided to draw a tag the way they set the quotas. I hate numbers but I love hunting rams and if there is any chance it is worth a shot I have been lucky before! Yes I understand from locals I know once you have the tag the sheep are easy to find and pretty easy to hunt considering your still hunting sheep and its steep and high. I was mostly look for a hair better draw odds but at those numbers it is pretty much blind luck
Well it isn’t really a “hair better” it’s almost twice as likely so that’s pretty significant if you ask me.

If you are planning on applying using the Outfitter Pool and go the guided route, look at the Outfitters that will float your money and apply for you using their money. This way it doesn't cost you anything and you still get the benefit of applying in NM through the Outfitter Pool's draw odds. This would apply to anyone...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom