New Mexico success

TBIRRER

To start the year off, I drew my first bull tag and a Buck tag for NM.
Spoke with a couple guys on here for general information which helped quite a bit for the deer.

Going into the Elk hunt my goal was to shoot the first legal bull.
I found a few different locations within the unit before the opening morning also had a decent bull at 5yds while scouting!
Found my self on a ridge line glassing on opening morning, finally around 10am saw a bull 2 miles down canyon which was roughly 1700 feet lower!
I made my way down and ended up jumping a nice bull that was bedded about half way down.

Finally found a good rock that was across the canyon to set up on within my comfortable range.
F57ECBB7-B582-4675-A6BC-AAAF0572890B.jpeg

598yds 300 win mag
My first shot was perfectly placed and he hunched up and just stood there followed up with three shots all hits and sealed the deal!
14C2FB02-9185-4DFD-9B15-CB1D8B97CCA2.jpeg

610BAA54-C87F-443A-9255-82FDD16F8CFA.jpeg

92372942-EFEB-44C0-A1FC-77E7C1D6BA95.jpeg

Might think about shooting one closer to the road next time!
It was a great experience though.

Fast forward to this week for my Muley tag,
Got to my glassing point and was absolutely covered in deer in every direction,
As it lightened up a bit all were does with a few spikes and forky’s.
Pushed through the deer to get a better view of another valley and saw a few decent bucks but couldn’t easily get into range without spooking them out,
By the time I got into the area I wasn’t able to find them.

Fast forwarding to day 4 and almost 50miles on the boots,
Finally found another good buck
BC8A50C1-465D-49E4-AB8D-A03914C63018.png

I was able to barely close the distance and was in a really uncomfortable downhill position,
I ended up hitting low on him and in the middle of racking another round the bolt de cocked! I was not able to close the bolt, fortunately my dad was also hunting with me and had one of my other rifles, by the time I switched he disappeared into the brush.
(Worst feeling ever wounding one!)
Made our way over and started tracking good blood and caught up with him about 300yds from where he first was and made the final shot.
CD5B32EC-9A58-47D0-83AD-E5FF4ABEAE8F.jpeg

F7BCBE37-61A0-47DB-AB71-4805331467A0.jpeg

We only saw one other mature buck killed, same size frame but had a cool drop tine.
Over all it was a great experience,
I also have one more bull tag for AZ in a few weeks!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom