New mexico unit 13 youth deer

mikey6959

My daughter drew the youth tag this year in unit 13, with that being said, one magazine I looked at said it was a tougher hunt with decent success rates. My question is, are we going to see very many deer? And if so where would be a good starting point? I have already done quite a bit of e scouting and have seen good looking areas on both north and south ends of the units. I'm no stranger to putting boots on the ground and glassing a ton, just figured I would ask here to find a decent starting point as I have never stepped foot in that unit. She is not picky on size as this is her first hunt( by everything I have read is not going to be easy). Thank you for any info. And no, not asking for a honey hole, just a suggestion for a place to start looking.

I’m not sure the dates on the youth hunt but I would say unit 13 has got to have some of the lowest success rates in the state. I wanna say it was single digits on the November rifle hunt for adults. I killed a big buck in there years ago but it was the only deer I saw in 4 days.

You'll probably see 3 groups of deer in your 5 days of hunting. If one of those groups happen to be bucks, you're likely to see a really bug buck.

I hunted unit 13 for elk in late October last year. Assuming they are the same boundaries as the deer tag. We seen 4 deer, all does. We covered a lot of country for 7 days. Good luck on your hunt, and hope you can find them.

Unfortunately this unit has a low deer population and finding a decent buck will be a huge challenge. The good news is the country is nice and you will enjoy time with your daughter - everything else is just a bonus. Focus your efforts between Datil and Pie Town.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom